Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Does Having Girl Altar Boys Help With Vocations To The Priesthood?
YES, Girl Altar Boys, Help Vocations To The Priesthood! 5 2.89%
NO, Girl Altar Boys, Don't Help Vocations To The Priesthood! 113 65.32%
Girl Altar Boys, Have No Effect At All On Vocations To The Priesthood! 55 31.79%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 17, '07, 11:21 am

Religion: Catholic
Question Vocations & Girl-Altar Boys

The traditional place of altar boys is a source of vocations, & the tendency of some younger boys to not want to share activities with girls.

So, The Big Question is Not whether girls can do just as good as the boys,
The Important Question is:

Does Having Girl Altar Boys Help with Vocations To The Priesthood, or Hurt it?
Old Sep 17, '07, 11:47 am

Default Re: Vocations & Girl-Altar Boys

Perhaps a better question is whether female altar servers DETRACT from vocations to the priesthood?
Old Sep 17, '07, 12:20 pm

Send a message via AIM to iamscifimike Send a message via MSN to iamscifimike Send a message via Yahoo to iamscifimike

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchoi View Post
Perhaps a better question is whether female altar servers DETRACT from vocations to the priesthood?
Seems like that is in the question and I believe they do.

I was never an altar boy, and I am not now a priest. I would feel bad for telling a girl that she cannot serve the altar but, it seems to me that this has become a social activity that a boy can participate with girls as opposed to a social activity where boys can look at a possible vocation involving celibacy. I know if when I would have been an altar boy and if there was an altar girl next to me, I don't care how unflattering the robe was, I would have been distracted.

Anything that I post may be used freely on the off chance that something I say is accidentally profound or inspired by the Holy Spirit.
Old Sep 17, '07, 12:26 pm

Let me rephrase that...
Does having only male altar boys help vocations to the Sisterhood, or hurt?
Old Sep 17, '07, 1:17 pm

Bob67,

Your question is biased and so are the possible answers that you made available. My sister is an altar server and I am friends with many families whose daughters have been altar servers and I do not think of them as ‘girl altar boys’.

The practice of having girls serve at the altar had not always existed in the Church but today it is most certainly allowed, since at least 1992 when the CDF document came out clarifying a part of Canon Law that dealt with that subject. I believe that it is the practice if not the requirement that boys and girls cannot serve together – at least in my Diocese it is the case.

I think that, if trained how to serve reverently, both boys and girls could be led to a life of a consecrated vocation in the Church. After all it is God who calls men and women to live lives of celibacy for the Kingdom and not necessarily because of their many years of being an altar server. I am sure this held true with vocations even back in the day when a girl being able to serve at the altar was still forbidden.

Pope John Paul II - Fides et Ratio
Old Sep 17, '07, 1:25 pm

Lightbulb Re: Vocations & Girl-Altar Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanD View Post
Let me rephrase that...
Does having only male altar boys help vocations to the Sisterhood, or hurt?
Well I guess the obvious answer would be no. Boys are not called to be Sisters just as girls are not called to be Brothers or Priests; for the obvious reasons. But is it possible that a girl could be inspired by a boy when it comes to the practicing their faith or vice versa – I would say yes.

Old Sep 17, '07, 1:33 pm

Religion: CATHOLIC

you know I dont think it really matters, the point of the altar servers is indeed a point of personal vocation I remember a poll I saw that 85% of alter servers feel a call to the priesthood if they continue on to be a priest thats up to them. In my case I didnt start alter serving untill I was 15 and I felt my call when I felt my call when I was 5 so the purpose of the alter servers is two-fold(I forgot to mention this) to serve the priest during the mass because not all the times you can have deacons at mass and two it is a form of Discernment oh yes before I finish in the matter of girl alter servers it can be seen as a form of Discernment for the religous life but my personal belief is that alter serving for girls can be used as a form of serving the church as well as self improvement I hope i did the best I can to answer your question

peace and blessing
mauro
Old Sep 17, '07, 2:51 pm

Only a generation or so ago, only boys were altar boys AND our convents and seminaries were full.

Now, girls and boys are altar servers yet our convents and seminaries are empty.

"If there is a risk of profanation, then Holy Communion should not be given in the hand to the faithful."

Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum, paragraph 92.
http://tinyurl.com/yq6vp
Old Sep 17, '07, 3:17 pm

Just because altar girls and a priest shortage happened in the same generation, doesn't mean one causes the other.

Some people might say the lack of priests in some areas is the result of poor catechesis, rather than a problem created by altar girls. Some dioceses that only have altar boys have done very well with vocations recently, but kicking out the altar girls is not going to suddenly inspire droves of young men to become altar boys and enter seminary either.

It's not like altar girls are serving instead of boys-- there's plenty of room for both (at my church anyway.)
Old Sep 17, '07, 3:22 pm

Somebody also mentioned that female altar servers are too "distracting" to the altar boys. If an altar boy is distracted simply by a having a girl stand next to him, he's the one with the problem, not the girl.
Old Sep 17, '07, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepanto View Post
Only a generation or so ago, only boys were altar boys AND our convents and seminaries were full.

Now, girls and boys are altar servers yet our convents and seminaries are empty.
Any lack of vocations has nothing to do with altar serving. Excuse the lack of a quotation but Cardinal Ratzinger said in (I think) Salt of the Earth, that the lack of vocations today has a lot to do with the lack of holiness in the family. That the less families practice their faith the less vocations will come out them.

Second, how many seminaries have you visited? You mustn't have visited mine because we are filled to the capacity this year - again. I also know and have visited convents which are full too.

Old Sep 17, '07, 6:04 pm

Poor catechesis, combined with increased worldliness in the media, less family values(more divorces, etc.) and rising levels of sexual awareness(due to the media and its effects), plus the seductive allure of evangelical protestantism(which I read is largely comprised of fallen-away Catholics) all contribute to the lack of vocations to the priesthood. In my opinion, altar girls have NOTHING to do with it. Deficiency of Catholics in their 20s and 30s attending Church = deficiency of vocations to the priesthood. So, the real issue that needs to be addressed is why have a disturbingly high number(Don't ask me to quote statistics. I have none) of the Catholic children born Post-Vatican 2 failed to remain intrigued with the Church? Surely, we can't blame that on altar girls.
Old Sep 17, '07, 7:59 pm

Quote:
It's not like altar girls are serving instead of boys-- there's plenty of room for both (at my church anyway.)
There may be plenty of room, but i know that i never became an altar boy because girls were serving. i don't know exactly why, but i as a young boy did not want to do a girl's job (and yes, the numbers were so uneven in my parish that only girls were serving for most of my time in CCD, now there are some boys). If i could do it over again, i'd be an altar boy.
Old Sep 17, '07, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_G View Post
There may be plenty of room, but i know that i never became an altar boy because girls were serving. i don't know exactly why, but i as a young boy did not want to do a girl's job (and yes, the numbers were so uneven in my parish that only girls were serving for most of my time in CCD, now there are some boys). If i could do it over again, i'd be an altar boy.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you think girls should be allowed as altar servers?
Old Sep 17, '07, 8:30 pm

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you think girls should be allowed as altar servers?
Personally, no, i don't think they should be. However, the Church says that they can, and i can't argue with that. Allowing girls to be altar servers (in my opinion) is planting the seeds for girls wanting to be priests. In some of my CCD classes, the girls used that very argument (that if they can be altar servers, they should be allowed to be priests). It is also my belief that the vocations crisis was not caused or is being continued because of female altar servers. That problem comes from teaching the faith poorly and unholy families. If every family went to mass and confession weekly, vocations would be overfilling.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations