Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 20, '07, 7:20 pm

Default How to refer to the Pope, Cardinals, and Bishops directly and indirectly

Can someone please verify the list below?

Pope: Your/His Holiness
Cardinal: Your/His Eminence
Bishop: Your/His Excellency
Old Sep 20, '07, 7:22 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: How to refer to the Pope, Cardinals, and Bishops directly and indirectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeric View Post
Can someone please verify the list below?

Pope: Your/His Holiness
Cardinal: Your/His Eminence
Bishop: Your/His Excellency
Yes, that is correct. Here is a helpful link: http://www.fisheaters.com/addressingclergy.html

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity; therefore I die in exile.
Pope St. Gregory VII (11th century)

Novena for the Intercession and Canonization of
Blessed Emperor Karl of Austria
Old Sep 20, '07, 7:51 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How to refer to the Pope, Cardinals, and Bishops directly and indirectly

I'm so glad I found this thread. A visiting Archbishop came back to the sacristy after his mass on Sunday. He was so nice and said hello to me and all I could do was to greet him back with a smile and say hello and ask him how he was. I couldn't think of what to address him. I felt so dumb!!!!!! So, I was at a loss for words.
Old Sep 20, '07, 8:18 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabande View Post
I'm so glad I found this thread. A visiting Archbishop came back to the sacristy after his mass on Sunday. He was so nice and said hello to me and all I could do was to greet him back with a smile and say hello and ask him how he was. I couldn't think of what to address him. I felt so dumb!!!!!! So, I was at a loss for words.
I'm sure he wouldn't have minded what you called him I suppose you could've just called him 'Archbishop' and left it at that.

Mind you I had the same problem on Sunday - our Cardinal, who was celebrating Mass, was greeting parishioners outside afterwards - for the life of me I couldn't remember whether he was an 'Eminence' or an 'Excellency'

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Sep 20, '07, 8:28 pm

You're probably right. It's just that earlier in the morning, while the Archbishop was still saying the mass, I had called my pastor, who is a monsigneur, "Father". I know he didn't mind, but I was still embarrassed by that.
Old Sep 20, '07, 9:18 pm
Forum Elder

Many years ago Cardinal Cushing visited the parish where my wife was Music Director. She had practiced up genuflect on the left knee, kiss his ring, address him as Your Eminence. Come the day someone brought him up to meet her as she was playing the organ. Being distracted she shook his hand and said Good Afternoon Father. He laughed.
Old Sep 20, '07, 9:47 pm

I was asked to provide transportation for our auxiliary bishop and was at a loss concerning proper form.
So I asked him. He explained that Excellency was the formal address, but that Bishop was acceptable, but in his case, he was not offended in the least if addressed as Father. Every monsignor I've encountered was satisfied with Father.
Old Sep 22, '07, 1:51 am

That fish eater's website is good. However, I couldn't help but notice that it says for a British Cardinal, one is to address him as Your Grace. I have never known this to be correct - only that he is to be referred to in the same way one would refer to any Cardinal (Your Eminence).
Similarly, exceptions to the rules regarding Archbishops and Bishops in Commonwealth countries is true, but only when the said person had a diocese there. Titular dioceses do not qualify. It must also be noted that due to the Church of England, the use of such titles (which borrow from the peerage system - e.g. an Archbishop is the equivalent of a Duke) for Catholic Arch/Bishops is not formally recognised.
It can all be very confusing - I was at an ordination to the priesthood recently, where the ordaining Archbishop was english, but was in fact an Apostolic Nuncio, and because his archdiocese was not in England, he was referred to as Your Excellency. Although he did have a titular diocese in Scotland. So I was thrown until I got books out on the subject. Debrett's New Guide to Etiquette and Modern Manners is an excellent book for this kind of thing.

It also highlights some other really interesting things - like how to close a formal letter to the Pope:

I have the honour to be,
Most Holy Father,
Your Holiness's humble and obedient child (servant if you're not a Catholic).
Old Sep 22, '07, 6:18 am

Myself and a few other military Catholic young adults were at a conference thing for Catholics Seeking Christ, a young adult program in the Archdiocese for Military Services. On the second day of it one of the Bishops came and none of us really knew how to address him. So we asked him, and he just said Bishop. He said nothing of Your Excellency. I suppose it depends on the individual. I'm not sure I'd like people calling me "Your Excellency". It sounds too royal, or something.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality