Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 15, '08, 4:33 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Who has been to CRHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsippian View Post
Christ Renews His Parish has been the first step of my personal spiritual rebirth, parallelling our Parish Renewal . The whole process is The Holy Spirit speaking through each parishoner involved. The structure is not anything to be alarmed about regarding your experience with a Charismatic retreat. My prayer for you is that you are able to open your heart to the retreat FOR THE PARISH. Have faith my fellow seeker. Allow the Spriit of Christ to lead you along this path.

Forward thinking and planning for a parish sponsoring CRHP would be a my heartfelt suggestion. Each CRHP team has 20-36 members. After the Retreat is given, everyone is filled with a desire to perform good works in God's name, but there is a void that needs to be filled. My team had no immediate plan for an outlet for our team's fervor.
We have prayed for ways to follow the Spirit
God answered out prayers!

Recently we began a men's discussion group of Catholic answers to todays challenges. The program is called "That Man Is You". We started the program the week following the conclusion of the CRHP retreat. NO VOID! TMIY gave all of the men a way to stay connected to the parish. So far we've met 3 times at 5:45am on Fridays . Each time we have had over 50 men in attendance and altogether nearly 80 different men total have risen before dawn to seek Christ .

Your Brother in Christ

Somebody in one of these threads had a problem with the Anacronym -me too sorta. I just tend to send my personal preference - ChRHP. More phonetically correct I think.
ChRHP is still going strong in Plano, TX at Prince of Peace. The 4th group of women is preparing through the guidance of the Holy Spirit to welcome the 5th group of Women into this renewal process on September 27th and 28th., Our 4th men's ChRHP team will follow the Holy Spirit guiding the 5th group of male retreatants October25th&26th
Please take just a moment to ask for Mary's assistance in renewing our hearts in love.
That Man Is You is beginning its 2nd year/3rd semester and the first gathering was over 60 men strong at 5:45am. Renewal of men in Plano, TX is spreading with a strength far more powerful than any Hurricane.
Thank you God.
txsippian
Old Jan 7, '09, 7:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Maedar

I attended a weekend in '05 and have helped put on 2 since then. I'm on a team now getting ready to present in February. I must admit, I was reluctant to go in the first place. Like most men, sharing wasn't high on my list of things to do, especially when there's basketball to be watched. I am glad that my wife signed me up, as it has meant the world to both myself and my wife. She attended the next women's retreat, and it has brought us both closer with the parish community as a whole. I have also attended a number of Manresa silent retreats, marriage encounter, put on engaged couples pre-cana, and we are members of TOOL (Teams Of Our Lady). We've found each of these experiences to be very rewarding, and enriching to different parts of ourselves and our relationships. CRHP is most geared towards enhancing your relationship with your fellow parishioners and the church as a whole.
As a side note: We NEVER ask for any kind of donations at ANY point in the weekend, nor are there free will envelopes of any sort. People are encouraged to leave their wallets, cell phones, etc at home.
Old May 4, '09, 8:46 am
Observing Member

Thumbs up Re: Who has been to CRHP?

I just went through CRHP, litterally got home yesterday. Let me just say this. It was an amazing experience. The team that put it on in my parish (Sacred Heart - Wichita Falls http://www.sacredheartwf.org/) was amazing. I, probably like most guys, never really show emotion in front of, well anyone. But, this was so moving that I did break down spiritually and emotionally. I am glad that the Holy Spirit directed me to this and hope that the Spirit directs everyone else too. The Church needs this, Now when I see my brothers in Church I know them and feel I can worship better around them. Not sure if I'm making sense but it was a powerful weekend and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. Just go with an open heart.

Here I am Lord.
Manuel Borrego Jr.

"Speak Lord your servant is listening."
1 Samuel 3:9
Old Aug 13, '09, 8:13 am

CRHP.
Oh my goodness.

I went to a few hours of one weekend and couldn't stand the "controlling" so I convinced the "key lady" to give me back my car keys. I left. Ew.

Our parish is very "CRHP-happy" It bothers us so much that we may have to petition to change parishes.
Old Aug 13, '09, 9:26 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepLearning View Post
CRHP.
Oh my goodness.

I went to a few hours of one weekend and couldn't stand the "controlling" so I convinced the "key lady" to give me back my car keys. I left. Ew.

Our parish is very "CRHP-happy" It bothers us so much that we may have to petition to change parishes.
may I ask what do you mean by controlling??
Old Aug 13, '09, 12:36 pm

hi all, i have attended and put on CRHP weekends for almost two years now. i can tell you that the weekend is amazing if the proper process is used. the important part of CRHP is not the weekend however but the team formation for the next weekend to be put on. this is a period for deepening your faith, integrating into the parish for old and new members alike and especially for men, an appreciation for the responsibilities and the role we must play in our families, parish and society.

the most important comment i can make concerning CRHP is that whoever (spiritual and lay directors) is running the weekend and team formation, constantly uses and refers to the official CRHP manual - everyone on the team must be given a copy of the manual and all need to read it - this is the most insightful program manual that i have encountered so far and it provides a solid foundation and guidance for the team formation and the weekend - hands down. those programs who do not utilize the manual are not receiving the full benefit of the program. many who i talk with from other parishs who have been through CRHP team formation are not even aware that there is a manual - this is a complete travesty.

one final comment - beware of parishs where parts of the CRHP program are substituted - i have heard (confirmed) of parishs who defer on Adoration (which is the heart of the program) in lieu of music, dancing, sports watching, alcohol and other partying. those of you on formation teams who encounter these kind of substitutions in the program must be very vocal in their opposition.

sincerely,
david
Old Aug 13, '09, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex1598 View Post
one final comment - beware of parishs where parts of the CRHP program are substituted - i have heard (confirmed) of parishs who defer on Adoration (which is the heart of the program) in lieu of music, dancing, sports watching, alcohol and other partying.
WHAT??? (Sorry, I'll tone down the volume.) Jesus is the absolute focus of this weekend. How can the formation team -- and esp the spiritual director -- do this? One should grow closer to our Lord on this weekend, not to line dancing or sports. I am apalled beyond words!

God bless,
Dan
Old Aug 14, '09, 8:42 am

Dan, i was appalled too but i personally know both a female and a male who attended CRHP at this particular parish and both (independently) confirmed to me that Adoration had been substituted with partying celebration. i discovered this when i commented that Adoration was the most beautiful part of the program and they gave me this clueless look - upon more questioning i found out that Adoration had been replaced by lewd music, dancing and champagne for the women and ESPN and beer for the men. i would hope that any who read this and happen to know first hand or hear that their parish is doing anything in their CRHP program other than the most Holy, this needs to be investigated and corrected. i can assure you that only the most complimentary dialogue should be coming from the participants in the CRHP activities - if they are not then i can assure you that someone is not running the program correctly.
Old Nov 9, '09, 6:31 am
Trial Membership

I found CRHP to be juvenile and Kumbayaish. It is straight out of the 70's. The profound parts are only in the Formation which you don't find out until the end of the weekend. This was a complete waste of a weekend. I have heard too many testimonials in my life to want to spend a weekend listening to more. I was led to expect more sharing and bonding. All it was was testimonial after testimonial with some prayer sprinkled in. I already had the prayer thing going. The thing I wanted from the weekend is actually in the Formation which is another 6 MONTH commitment. This needs some serious updateing. This style of singing and clapping retreats went out in the 90's for good reason.
Old Feb 22, '10, 11:34 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic

Please visit my parish website for info on CRHP (below). I attended CRHP in my parich last fall...and was so moved by the holy spirit that I now am the Lay Director for the upcoming Mens Spring weekend...basically the "quarterback" for the other volunteer parishoners who are hosting the next weekend! Nothing about this experience is negative...and CRHP IS for EVERYONE!

Attending is one of the top 3 decisions I ever made in my life:
-marrying my wife
-having our three girls
-CRHP

www.saintclareofassisi.org
Faith & Ministry tab
CRHP tab

there is a brochure and testimonial video there I think that you will enjoy.

There is nothing secret about this...it is not a club...it was invented BY parishoners in Ohio 40 years ago...FOR parishoners!

Renewal is a journey...NOT a destination!

Don't do this for others...do a CRHP for yourself! YOU are invited!!!

Yours In The Light Of Christ!
Old Feb 23, '10, 10:05 am

Welcome to CAF, curtm.

Wow, your parish has "everything." I see Bible studies, small Christian communities, the Legion of Mary, CRHP and lots of other stuff. Looks like a good parish.

While I won't say CRHP is for everyone, it certainly was an important part in my faith development. Keep up the good work.

God bless,
Dan
Old Aug 25, '10, 9:38 am
Observing Member

Hello Brothers and Sisters In Christ,

Although it may seem at first glance that I am somewhat agitated with my CRHP experience, I did get some positive experiences from it that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

I feel that many of the "witnesses" were hand picked for the reason that they had the most "polished" presentation and the details in their stories. I am not new to this type of meeting setup as I am a member of a 12 step program where I have the t shirt of "been there, done that". With that having been said, I was not really all that impressed with the lead stories that were being shared throughout the 2 day event. I sort of got burned out with the regimented schedule and the non stop sharing that went on throughout the weekend.

Going back to the fact that I am a member of a 12 step program and know about folks that hang out their dirty laundry in a public format for all to see, I needed a break from the drama that went on through the entire weekend. I am a free spirit as all human beings are, whether or not they admit vocally. I do not know of anyone that enjoys having their points of view criticized and picked on through the process of cross talk and belittlement. When I received the weekend and gave the weekend, this was my experience throughout and I did not enjoy it overall. I am comparing my experience to events in a 12 step program and these types of situations tend to handle themselves through a group conscience setup and are not tolerated.

Love, tolerance and patience is our code in a 12 step program, which is not what I got in my CRHP weekend. Certain individuals that knew of me through my 12 step program showed up during the weekend and began the process of digging into my personal and private life to ascertain various points of my life relating to: Sexual orientation, marital status, domestic upbringing, and other issues that I refused to entertain the assembled CRHP group members with.

I did not go to the CRHP weekend to get an inquisition into my personal life as a result of someone that has a romantic interest in me. I went there to get spiritually connected to my Lord Jesus Christ so that I may have a renewed spirit to live and get connected to a power that surpasses my limited and earthly understanding. I tried to explain to the assembled CRHP attendees that my 12 step recovery program led me back to my Catholic roots that were badly damaged through an alcoholic upbringing that constantly preached the Hate and Wrath of God versus the Love, Compassion, and Grace of God.

Various issues that I had with the Catholic Church would include the Act of Reconciliation, Holy Communion, Praying to Saints, and the list can go on ad infinitum. Even though the person that I suspect has had a pervasive and negative impact on my experience there, I did get many positive things from the weekend that has helped me in my walk with the Lord and the practice of my Catholic Faith. I for one believe that as a struggling Catholic, I would have benefited greatly from a brush up review through the RCIA course rather than explain my grievances and faith struggles within the confines of the CRHP weekends, both receiving and giving.

It is rather sad that my experience was affected by meddlers that have a real difficult time with minding their own business and it had a way of affecting the outcome of my experience within the receiving portion of the weekend. I was seeking the Heart of Jesus by trying to reconnect with my Faith and the Power that affords for those that Seek Him, and the result was nil as a direct impact by those involved around this ministry.

If it sounds as though I have a resentment, I do. I just do not think that it is setup to deal with individuals that are like me and that is alright, I have other avenues to pursue to get the Faith assistance that I need. I am no longer associated with the CRHP weekend and do not participate in anything associated with it, nor will I support it or condemn it. I just did not get the full benefit of the weekend without outside meddlers getting involved in my personal life.
Old Aug 11, '11, 2:41 pm
Observing Member

Angry Re: Who has been to CRHP?

I just made a CRHP weekend this past weekend. I guess I am just in a different spiritual place than most people making their CRHP weekends. It all felt very Protestant to me. Protestants stand up and give their "witness" to their fellow church members because they do not have sacramental confession. Some things are better left in the confessional. I do not feel closer to the faith community, for example, knowing that "Joe Catholic" over here cheated on his wife because she lost interest in him after having their child. I spoke with a trusted and very priestly priest at my home parish and he agreed with me. This is unhealthy, pop-psychology. There are much better ways to get people renewed in their faith and active in their parish. It should have put up a red flag to me when no one would go into the details of what CRHP is beforehand. Furthermore, the ridiculously stupid and childish "team building exercises" between the witnessing did nothing for me. They only served to water down the faith. It was a wasted weekend. The other thing they don't tell you beforehand is they want at least a one year commitment to recruit new people for the group next year and prepare and be presenters. All in all, I was extremely disappointed after all the hype building up to it. Don't waste your time.
Old Aug 11, '11, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonie View Post
I think part of the retreat is surrendering to the process. Because of this, there is an element of wanting to keep the details of the retreat under wraps. I think it is felt that the format will have a greater impact if it is unexpected.

Basically, it is a retreat based on listening to directed (by a theme) testamonies. There are very profound and meditative prayer experiences built into the retreat. The witnesses are very moving. The retreat is very Holy Spirit filled. Much, much prayer and preparation goes into every aspect of it.

My experience was very gratifying. I received gifts of a deeper relationship with the third person of God, a greater appreciation of scripture when used as a prayer vehicle, an openess to spontaneous prayer. And, a more loving nature to others, esp in being open to sharing my faith.

The fact that the retreat formation goes on for six months after the retreat is often downplayed so as not to scare off participants. I had no idea when I went through the weekend that formation continued. IMO, the post weekend formation was the best part of the process.

I am very, very grateful for the Christ Renews His Parish program. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. I was resistant to it...didn't think I needed it. Basically, CRHP takes you where you are and elevates you. You can't go wrong giving 30 hours with God..Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Actually, I liked it so much I am helping a team give one who did not have enough women.
Pray about it. Be docile to the Spirit. You will know if you should go, but don't be afraid!
Old Jan 17, '12, 3:09 pm
Trial Membership

I agree with many posters on here, CRHP is what you make of it. If you go in with negativity, you will not get much from the weekend. But if you go in with an open heart, you will get something from the weekend.

It wasn't life changing for me, but it did change my spiritual life. Many retreats are great for a week after, you still feel energized and "on fire". The difference with CRHP is that it is on-going, IF YOU WANT IT TO BE. For those of you who felt pressured to attend the formation afterward or who were made to feel bad about not attending formation, I apologize. This is NOT part of the experience, if you aren't ready or can't committ the time, that is ok, everyone is different. Maybe people just wanted you to have the same experience they had, or maybe they are just pushy people...
This is certainly not part of the formation and nowhere in the manual does it say that you have to go through formation if you don't want to.

For the person who said it is very "Protestant feeling", yes, Protestants do "witness" more than Catholics do, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. CRHP isn't something you have to go through to be a "good Catholic" (whatever that means), it's extra formation and a spiritual community to support you. Isn't that what community is for, to support? How better to support than to witness to others so that people know they aren't alone? Witnessing has nothing to do with Catholic tradition and does not change any of the Sacraments we receive.

Bottom line, I had a great CRHP experience! I met a wonderfully, amazing group of women that I might not have met otherwise. I've grown in my spiritual life and I feel closer to Christ. I feel more comfortable praying and reading scripture. We are putting on our CRHP 5 weekend in 2 weeks and I'm very excited to meet even more women who want to dive further into their faith. I am a table leader and had an amazing time pulling together witnesses and reflection activities for the participants. I am ready to go through the weekend again and experience it from the other side.

To the original poster of this thread (sorry, I can't remember your name), Let Go and Let God. You don't have to be in control all the time and you don't HAVE to know everything about CRHP before attending. If you are really interested, which I am assuming you are or you wouldn't have asked, GO! Best case- you will be forever changed; worst case- you gave up 2 days to spend it in church.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality