Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 4, '07, 1:32 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to scapularkid8
Default Mediums? The Holy Spirit?

Okay my aunt wanted to know about this stuff and what the Church teaches. I think she might be confused on "feeling the Spirit" moving and contacting spirits of the dead. It's a little confusing, so I'll post the important parts of the email here...

Quote:
...Do you know, or could you find out for me, what the church's opinion is on mediums. What does the church believe about people that can communicate with people who have died. Not like the negative aspects of it, like for monitary gain or for publicity, but people who have had near death experiences or that can talk to spirits. What do they say about people who have had experiences with the Holy Spirit?...I know the church doesn't believe in tarot cards, astrology or seeing into the future....predicting the outcome of a situation. I know about that. but what I want to know is, does our faith have any backing on people that say they can talk to the dead....or communicate with them. Haven't there been Saints that have had experiences with the Holy Spirit? Well, yeah, everyone has right? at confirmation! but I mean, having the Holy Spirit work through you, having it talk FOR you, Is that considered bogus??

"Jesus died, Christ arose. Thatís precisely what the transformation is -- Christís consciousness untied from a specific place and time."

I contemplate my Theosis as only beginning.
Old Oct 4, '07, 2:46 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to scapularkid8
Default Re: Mediums? The Holy Spirit?

Somebody? Anybody??? Hello??!

"Jesus died, Christ arose. Thatís precisely what the transformation is -- Christís consciousness untied from a specific place and time."

I contemplate my Theosis as only beginning.
Old Oct 4, '07, 2:49 pm

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapularkid8 View Post
Somebody? Anybody??? Hello??!

Catechism of the Catholic Church

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity.
Old Oct 5, '07, 11:22 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Cradle, active, Roman Catholic

There are several old testament scriptural passages against turning to mediums.

The Vatican has a provisional report available on the websited called: Jesus Christ The Bearer of the Water of Life: A Christian Reflection on the "New Age" that is informative about how and why the Church views several of these influences on our culture and for the faithful. This document helps distinguish the difference between paranormal activities and those of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit most certainly works through the faithful in a myriad of ways. 1 Corinthians 12 discusses using Spiritual gifts.

These are some starter documents after reading what the Catechism has to say (that's the first step).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization