Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 6, '07, 1:10 am
Observing Member

Default How would you know that he/she is the right one for you to spend your life with?

How would you know that he/she is the right one for you to spend your life with?

Are there any signs?
Old Oct 6, '07, 7:45 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: How would you know that he/she is the right one for you to spend your life with?

I was wondering this too, I guess once you are in a relationship, and you have been through hard times and good times together, you realize that you can commit to each other no matter what.
Old Oct 6, '07, 7:53 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How would you know that he/she is the right one for you to spend your life with?

Well, here's my advice: Know thyself.

The first step in finding the right mate is to know what your goal and vision is. How do you want to live out your baptismal call to build up the Kingdom?

The second step is to make a list of "must haves" and "dealbreakers" before you begin dating. Always have this list in mind. When you encounter a deal breaker, or find a must-have to be lacking-- that person is not for you. Do not proceed and get emotionally involved. Also, if that person is not on the same spiritual trajectory with the same vision and goals, they are not for you.

When you find someone who has all your must-haves, none of your deal-breakers; shares your Catholic faith, vision and life goals; and also has those other "intangibles" such as both liking the same foods, sports, physical attraction, etc-- then you know you are on your way.

No matter how far down the list we went, DH and I found no deal-breakers or missing must-haves. We agreed on finances, childrearing, shared the same vision of living our Catholic faith, and of course-- both love football.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Oct 6, '07, 7:57 am

I couldn't possibly agree more with 1ke's post.

Excellent!

Old Oct 6, '07, 7:59 am

I truly believe that God blesses us with a internal feeling.....somewhat similar to a sense of peace over our whole selves.....something that says "ahh......ive found the one that God has created and meant for me". I've been with my DF since high school, and known him since 7th grade. We come from small farm towns and attended 2 different Catholic feeder schools that came together for a sports team and that's how I met him. For high school, he went to a public school and I to the Catholic school in the area but he ended up transferring for his last 2 yrs. I hung out with him as friends and things and always thought he was very sweet, funny and cute, but I dated around and hung out with tons of other people until his last yr of high school. He was going through a really rough time, dealing with a girl who lied to him, used him, and broke his heart at the time. There is no other way to describe it but i felt drawn to him. From the beginning of that hard time when we started spending more time together I knew i loved him and I knew I would marry him. He, however, did not. He was so hurt and during that time I was there for him as a friend, expecting nothing more (even though i knew i loved him, i was not worried because i knew i'd be with him in the end and i thank the Lord for this patience and peace). Over time, he came out of the rut he was in and realized how he was able to.....through much prayer and never ending support from me. After he realized this he was able to tell me how he felt about me and we both knew then that we were meant to be. He was leaving for college but we never even had a doubt that we'd make it through together, and we started our "official" relationship, even though we'd truly been together for much much longer. About 5 years later we are finishing college and planning our summer wedding.
Old Oct 6, '07, 8:28 am

I agree with above poster. My husband would have failed a check list miserably. I can't fall in love with someone based on list. I know it sounds like great advice and probably is for some people but I just can't operate that way.

I was 16 (almost 17) when I met my husband. I never went out with any guys before him because no one ever felt "right". Then I met my husband and something just clicked. Hard to describe, but I felt the same way when I was 12 and became friends with a girl who is still my best friend 23 years later. So it wasn't a romantic feeling.

We broke up a few times in highschool and I went on few dates with other guys (pushed into it by my friends who wanted me to stop moping). I just knew right off the bat is was a waste of time.

Finding Mr or Mrs Right does not equate to Mr or Mrs Perfect. There is no such thing because we are all fallen people, we all fall short. It's not I can love him forever if....but I can love him forever despite.... Because marriage is for better or worse. And don't fool yourself into thinking there will never be disagreements or problems -that your relationship will be different than every other married couple out there. If you can't get past the despite part that this person is not the one for you.
Old Oct 6, '07, 11:08 am

You will just know. YOu will have doubts, you will be scared, but you will know. One thing you must not think is that things will be different after you marry. If he/she brings certain baggage to the relationship that you think you can change...think again. Change comes from within. I see this so many times with friends of mine who are miserable because they knew going into marriage that a certain characteristic was not something they could deal with and truly thought things would be different after they said "I do." Make sure any attached baggage (we all have it) is something you can carry.

I knew my DH was the one for me when we went thru a series of bad times and he fought for me and beside me all the way. I thought, this is someone who you want to walk thru life with. When the going got tough, he stayed put. (even when I didn't deserve it.) Friendship helps too especially when those babies start coming!
Old Oct 6, '07, 8:38 pm

I wish I knew for sure. That would make life a whole lot easier. But I know that's not the case I just hope God will somehow let me know!

I had never been on any dates, ever, and didn't find any guys worth knowing my first year in college. So I prayed to God for help. Now I've met *counting in my head* about 5 or 6 decent guys worth knowing as friends.
So I prayed to God to let me know who was meant to be, and that we would meet again soon, whether I knew them already, or if it's somebody new. I ran into several of them during the next day or two, and the ones I see frequently (but not actually talk to) started waving "hi".
So now I'm praying for more help from Him. And more patience and wisdom, because I just don't know. At least I'm getting an idea of what makes me attracted to this guy or that...kind of a guideline of what to look for. (Kind, likes children, pro-life, preferably Catholic, knows/will learn ASL, etc.)

God definitely has a sense of humor

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
Old Oct 6, '07, 9:12 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to coffeelover

WOW, I came to this forum just now to ask this very same question! I too was wondering how you "know." So I guess I'm in a similar situation as the OP. It's very scary, especially in this age where so many people feel so sure, get married, and then don't want to be together anymore, you know? Plus I've thought several times that I've met "The One" but I was wrong. So now I'm finding it hard to trust that voice inside myself.

Do you feel that God really has one special person in mind for all of us (that are called to marriage)?

http://www.yourluckypet.com
Old Oct 7, '07, 1:03 am

Send a message via MSN to MidnightSun02 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightSun02

There were a number of signs that my husband was the one for me. Firstly...God seemed to be blessing he and I so much that it was impossible to doubt how right it all felt.

My second story is a sign I received right from our Blessed Mother! My husband (then fiancee) and I were praying the rosary while he was driving us somewhere on a Sunday. I had my eyes closed and kept imagining seeing Our Mother standing in front of me while I asked her to intercede my intentions and whether or not my fiancee was the one God meant for me to be with.

When I opened my eyes the first thing I saw was a Our Lady of Guadalupe decal on a car in front of us....my heart skipped a beat and I knew from then on that the answer was 'Yes, he is meant for you'!

Old Oct 7, '07, 8:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Well, here's my advice: Know thyself.
Amen to that!
Old Oct 7, '07, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
Plus I've thought several times that I've met "The One" but I was wrong. So now I'm finding it hard to trust that voice inside myself.
Same here

QUOTE]Do you feel that God really has one special person in mind for all of us (that are called to marriage)?[/quote]

I hope so...but I don't think it's like 1 out of 6 billion that are meant to be with us, that we have to go find it. I think there are a number of guys out there who may be the one, and that God will help our paths cross.

I still wish I 'knew'! It was painful, because at homily today he was talking about love and faith, how when you say i do there's an element of faith in there. Faith is hard to come by.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
Old Oct 7, '07, 1:02 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to coffeelover

I can't figure out whether I'm being unrealistic in some ways. I feel that for the most part I've become a lot more realistic, as I've matured spiritually and emotionally...but there is still one thing that gets to me...

When you meet The One, should it be instant fireworks? Or is what was said in that movie true, that "Sometimes love just comes softly"? I know that's sappy, but it had an impact on me.

I've met an absolutely wonderful, devoutly Catholic man. I've never met a man that was so devout, actually. And there are just so many similarities and coincidences that are so amazing to think about, you know? The only thing is that I don't really feel the "fireworks" like I have in the past. I'm not saying he's ugly! Not by any means. It's just that in the past I've always felt that "head over heels" feeling...and I sort of miss that feeling. And yet those other guys treated me like dirt in the end, and I know this man never would. So how necessary is physical passion, or "fireworks", in a relationship? We're not "together" yet, we seem to be taking our time discerning...but all I know is that I don't want to discount him.

http://www.yourluckypet.com
Old Oct 7, '07, 1:24 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
Plus I've thought several times that I've met "The One" but I was wrong. So now I'm finding it hard to trust that voice inside myself.
I've had the same, but actually... that voice is not always unaffected by our choices. Sometimes we can "upgrade" the feeling to, "this is the right person," from, "this is a nice man/woman," or we can ignore bad feelings. Another thing, perhaps some months or years into the relationship, there might appear a genuine feeling of it being the right person, and even one that is correct.

Quote:
Do you feel that God really has one special person in mind for all of us (that are called to marriage)?
Not really - there is no proof behind that. This isn't to say God won't help those who ask, that we don't receive aid in our seeking. But I can't think of any proof that God creates us with someone else in mind as a future spouse.

Personally, I don't want to delve into it. I just pray for the woman I'll marry, if I will any, whoever it is. I pray to make the right choice. If I will know I've found her... who knows. Well, certainly, there will be clues. I've just started a PhD programme in law, but I've always been both a history buff and a tongue speaker, and an amateur computer programmer (I can build and tune a computer, too) counting hexadecimals in memory using fewer lines of code for a task than professionals do, not like I've been oblivious to more proper art - paintings, sculpture, rather than just arts subjects. If I find someone with whom I could relate on all these levels, that will surely mean a lot. It's not likely that I will, but unlikely things also happen.

Last edited by chevalier; Oct 7, '07 at 1:44 pm.
Old Oct 7, '07, 3:04 pm

I pretty much agree with 1ke's post, but just want to add the following:

Try to project what life will be like with each other 20, 30, 40, 50 years from now. Can you see him/her as a father/mother to your children? Can you see going Mass together? Will you be able to survive the days when in the evening you will be doing things so mundane such as going through the Sunday paper for coupons while watching TV? If he or she gets sick, do you dread taking care of her?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life