Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 8, '07, 8:12 pm

Religion: catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to coleraine
Default 3 a.m.-demonic witching hour?!?

is this true at all? i saw it on the exorcism of emily rose dvd, which is a tru story. they say its a negative demonic corruption of the trinity, in this case, 3 p.m.
Old Oct 8, '07, 8:35 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: 3 a.m.-demonic witching hour?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleraine View Post
is this true at all? i saw it on the exorcism of emily rose dvd, which is a tru story. they say its a negative demonic corruption of the trinity, in this case, 3 p.m.
Its not anything official if that's what you asking. It has been a legend for awhile though. It seems that many people wake up, have nightmares or strange experiences around this time. This is probably what fuels the legend.

I myself used to wake up regularly at this time. I'd start praying the rosary or the Divine Mercy Chaplet and go back to sleep. I was told by a lady at Church that this meant that I was Holy Spirit waking me up to pray for something.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 07
Old Oct 8, '07, 8:50 pm

that makes sense. alot of people do say that stuu happens then. also the ammydtyville horror killings,which are surrounded with supernatuarl thibgs, happened at 3"15 a.am.
Old Oct 8, '07, 8:57 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: having a good time being seriously Catholic

Quote:
that makes sense. alot of people do say that stuu happens then. also the ammydtyville horror killings,which are surrounded with supernatuarl thibgs, happened at 3"15 a.am.

Now I'm creeped out, thanks, y'all!

I've woken up at or close to 3am for years. My mother has always told me that's when the air starts to warm up because the sun is starting to come around the horizon. Setting my AC to cool the house down an extra degree helps some, but I still wake up around 3 once a week or so.

So if it happens tonight I'm grabbing my rosary!

...on psychotherapy and faith
Adoration finder
Spiritual Exercises
Old Oct 8, '07, 9:03 pm

All I know is when I worked midnights, 3am was the hour that I struggled to stay awake the most.
Old Oct 8, '07, 9:06 pm

that would make sense. i mean, yoru not asleep, and not suseptable, but your week enough to feel resistence.
Old Oct 8, '07, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilia97 View Post
Now I'm creeped out, thanks, y'all!

I've woken up at or close to 3am for years. My mother has always told me that's when the air starts to warm up because the sun is starting to come around the horizon. Setting my AC to cool the house down an extra degree helps some, but I still wake up around 3 once a week or so.

So if it happens tonight I'm grabbing my rosary!

yah, its always good to keep your spiritual defense strong, so you shouldent blow it off, but you should remember that its not official. although, the exorcism of emily rose is a true story...and it in there...so just keep yer' wits about yah' and you'll be jus' fine.
Old Oct 8, '07, 9:49 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Hmm, thanks! *sarcasm* lol. I wake up almost every night at 3AM. Just thought it was a sleep cycle!

And I agree with the other poster: anytime I work overnights, 3AM is the worst. In fact, I and another supervisor have to do the rounds to make sure no one is using machinery around that hour because so many accidents will happen at that time.
Old Oct 9, '07, 12:24 am

Exclamation Re: 3 a.m.-demonic witching hour?!?

I think this is true. The evil one wishes to mock all that is good. I once heard of an account on in which Bishop Fulton Sheen, was traveling on a plane. It was good friday. The flight attendant offered some food to Bishop Sheen, but he told her that he would fast. Now, a lady was sitting next to him. She too, told the flight attendant thay she would fast. Bishop Sheen was curious. He assumed she was catholic and asked her if she was. Much to his dismay, she answered in a way which im sure He would never have expected. She told him that she was a satanic witch and that she was fasting for abortions to continue. When I heard this, I was shocked beyond all belief.

Father Corapi also tells of the accounts of his youth, when he was lost in this world of ours, in sin and secularity. He tells of how he would always be around famous singesr and rock stars in his youth. One time, he witnessed as a satanic priest was called in to "curse" (the opposite of "bless") drugs which were called using formulas eerily similar to christian blessings. Fathere Corapi knows that the evil one intends to be like Our Father. And based from Father Corapi's accounts, its safe to say that this 3 AM thing is somewhat true. But Father Corapi assures us that " it is unbecoming for a child of God to be afraid of these things." So although this is scary, we have nothing to fear.

I saw this movie as well. It was the fist time i had ever heard of this "demonic reversal."
Old Oct 9, '07, 2:06 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
a movie is not Catholic teaching, it is entertainment, even when based (very loosely) on actual events, it relates those events through the filter of those making the movie, not through the lens of church teaching. take this as entertainment. no 3 pm is not the witching hour, although it is the hour of the Divine Mercy as we remember the death of Our Lord on Calvary, at which moment the forces of darkness seemed to gain victory, but through which Satan was overthrown forever when Christ rose from the dead. (your title says am, your post says pm, neither one is the demonic hour)
Old Oct 9, '07, 2:23 am

Smile Re: 3 a.m.-demonic witching hour?!?

Quote:
I don't think so, maybe a coincidence. Instead I always used 3am to pray to the Holy Spirit. Im doing this since i was a child.
Old Oct 9, '07, 11:16 am

I agree with the posters who say that it's not official and that we should not fear.

I do find the timing of this post interesting though. This past weekend, my husband and I watched the Ingmar Bergman movie HOUR OF THE WOLF. The title of the movie regards this particular time of the night - which the lead character in the film says is the time that most deaths occur, and most babies are born, and people wake without being able to sleep. (The lead character is insomniac, and going insane... or possibly possessed by demons. We are never sure whether his interactions are taking place externally or inside his head).

There was also a BABYLON 5 episode called HOUR OF THE WOLF. It takes place at the absolute nadir of the 5-year story line - i.e. when things in the series look darkest.

So there is plenty of cultural support for the notion of a witching hour at 3 a.m. Whether it has an authentic spiritual basis or not, I can't say.

Accendat in nobis Dominus ignem sui amoris, et flammam aeternae caritatis. Amen.
Old Oct 9, '07, 11:19 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilia97 View Post
I've woken up at or close to 3am for years.
It has happened to me around 3 times now, and each time I prayed the Divine Mercy. The first time, I was told ahead by a priest that some of us who were attending semninar, would be waken up at 3am. So, I was one of them. As I was sleeping, all of a sudden, I was startled gently by something and I woke up. Normally, my heart would beat very fast if I am startle while sleeping; this time, I was very calm.
Old Oct 9, '07, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
a movie is not Catholic teaching, it is entertainment, even when based (very loosely) on actual events, it relates those events through the filter of those making the movie, not through the lens of church teaching. take this as entertainment.
Very loosely. I think the movie presented the events in contemporary America. The events actually took place in 1976 in Germany.

It's quite likely that the girl was actually schizophrenic rather than demon-possessed. If this article is accurate, then she believed she was possessed by "Lucifer, Judas Iscariot, Nero, Cain, Hitler, and Fleischmann, a disgraced Frankish Priest from the 16th century."

So far as I know, people are not possessed by the souls of the damned, but by demonic spirits - i.e. the fallen angels. Believing that she was possessed by very famous evil men would seem more in line with psychotic delusions of grandeur than authentic possession... though I am more than willing to be shown wrong on that point by anybody who is more versed in this subject than I am.

Accendat in nobis Dominus ignem sui amoris, et flammam aeternae caritatis. Amen.
Old Oct 10, '07, 2:22 pm
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic-in-training

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtconstant View Post
Its not anything official if that's what you asking. It has been a legend for awhile though. It seems that many people wake up, have nightmares or strange experiences around this time. This is probably what fuels the legend.

I myself used to wake up regularly at this time. I'd start praying the rosary or the Divine Mercy Chaplet and go back to sleep. I was told by a lady at Church that this meant that I was Holy Spirit waking me up to pray for something.
I wake up at 3am a lot. I usually get up & pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. I know when it's time to get up and pray because I don't slowly wake up & lay there in a daze. It's more like "WAKE UP and pray NOW!" When that happens I make sure to get up and pray.

It seems, although not always that I'm aware of, that something tragic is about to occur. For example I woke up @ 3am on August 1 feeling more anxious than usual. I prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet and went back to bed. Later that day I heard the news of the bridge collapse in Minneapolis. It was like God woke me up with such an urgency to pray for those people even though I had no way of knowing what was about to happen or who I was praying for.

Most of the time however no big tragedy happens but I'm just glad I was given the opportunity to pray for someone who needed it that day.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics