Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 20, '04, 8:54 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic (Roman)
Default Self Communion

I read in one of the sections of the G.I.R.M. that self-Communion is only permitted when priests are concelebrating Mass. One of our assistants offers the Host to the extra-ordinary ministers at every Mass and they take the Host from the paten offered by this priest. This is wrong according to GIRM. Is the GIRM just a suggestion? Many clergy do what they want and disregard many of the details mentioned in GIRM. Is there any enforcement or sanctions if these instructions are not followed? I think the priests depend on the uninformed parishoners to do anything "their way". Jerome
Old Oct 20, '04, 9:00 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS
Default Re: Self Communion

The GIRM is not just a suggestion. It is the way that Latin rite Mass is to be celebrated. Violation of the GIRM makes the Mass illicit. Of course there is a difference between an accidental violation and one on purpose (i.e. accidentally forgeting the Nicene creed on a Sunday Mass)

The EMHCs are not permitted to self-communicate. The only person allowed to self-communicate is the priest and any priests that are co-celebrating the Mass.

Now if you are an EMHC at a Mass and the priest offers the host to you at an inappropriate time, you probably should just do what the priest wants, but address the issue at another time. If the priest continues to put you in an awkward position you should either step down as an EMHC and/or report it to the Bishop.

It is every Catholic's rite and responsablity to be able to attend a Mass that conforms to the GIRM.
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
Old Oct 20, '04, 9:05 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin-Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder
The only person allowed to self-communicate is the priest and any priests that are co-celebrating the Mass.
Not to drift us too off topic, but what about deacons? I know I could look it up myself, but if anyone knows off the top of his head...
Old Oct 20, '04, 9:11 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timidity
Not to drift us too off topic, but what about deacons? I know I could look it up myself, but if anyone knows off the top of his head...
Deacons are allowed to self-communicate only if they are presiding at a communion service. At Mass deacons are given communion before any lower-ranking ministers (this would include sub-deacons at a Tridentine Mass or Divine Liturgy) and before any extraordinary ministers (Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, Readers, etc.).

Deacon Ed
Old Oct 20, '04, 9:13 am
Forum Supporter

The Deacon is not supposed to self-communicate either (unless presiding at a communion service), he is supposed to receive from the priest. However, as minister of the cup, he is allowed to elevate the cup during the Great Amen.

Quote:
182. After the priest's Communion, the deacon receives Communion under both kinds from the priest himself and then assists the priest in distributing Communion to the people. If Communion is given under both kinds, the deacon himself administers the chalice to the communicants; and, when the distribution is completed, he immediately and reverently consumes at the altar all of the Blood of Christ that remains, assisted if necessary by other deacons and priests.
Added - I guess Deacon Ed is a quicker typer then me
Old Oct 20, '04, 10:14 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin-Rite)

Thanks Deacon Ed and Marauder!
Old Oct 20, '04, 11:12 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to mkw

A bit off topic, but kinda keeping with the theme. We had a communion service yesterday, Deacon present, but the EMHC read the Gospel-gave a reflection-gave out communion

I am a convert of less then a year, so I asked a "cradle" if this was normal. He said that it was NOT normal but that I should just get used to such things happening, alot of wrongs take place and I would drive myself crazy if I worried about any of them.

This is very confusing to a recent convert, we learn one thing but are shown another. What are WE to believe?!
Old Oct 20, '04, 11:32 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw
A bit off topic, but kinda keeping with the theme. We had a communion service yesterday, Deacon present, but the EMHC read the Gospel-gave a reflection-gave out communion

I am a convert of less then a year, so I asked a "cradle" if this was normal. He said that it was NOT normal but that I should just get used to such things happening, alot of wrongs take place and I would drive myself crazy if I worried about any of them.

This is very confusing to a recent convert, we learn one thing but are shown another. What are WE to believe?!
I can't find the official documentation on this but based on my knowledge of the regulations this is one of those things that might not violate the letter of the law but it violates the intent of the law.

A lay person is allowed to read the Gospel and give a reflection at a communion service. This is assuming that a Priest or Deacon can not be present.

If a Deacon is present, they should be the one reading the Gospel and giving a homily. Just like in a medical situation where you defer to the person that has the better training, person is supposed to defer to the person with higher level of Orders.

Just because something is going wrong and is being accepted in a church doesn't make it right. Everyone has the right to a properly conducted Mass.

Last edited by Marauder; Oct 20, '04 at 11:43 am.
Old Oct 20, '04, 1:49 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic of course...
Arrow Re: Self Communion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Ed
Deacons are allowed to self-communicate only if they are presiding at a communion service. At Mass deacons are given communion before any lower-ranking ministers (this would include sub-deacons at a Tridentine Mass or Divine Liturgy) and before any extraordinary ministers (Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, Readers, etc.).

Deacon Ed
So can a "lay minister" if they are the one directing the CS...

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments