Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 10, '07, 11:02 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default book by Thomas Bokenkotter

I have come across "Dynamic Catholocism," formerly known as "Essential Catholicism," by Fr. Thomas Bokenkotter. Is this a "safe book"? Correct teaching of Catholic doctrines and teeachings, no iffy theology or teachings, etc.? I am trying to learn more about my faith and do not want to be led astray; I don't know enough to discern any errors there might be.
Old Oct 10, '07, 12:09 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: book by Thomas Bokenkotter

i havent read the book, but baised on the amazon.com page for it, i notice 3 things. first it dosnt appear to have an imprimatur. second the table of contents lists quite a few hot topics within the church that might be problimatic if the author isnt a really solid catholic, and third there are a couple of reviews that claim that the author inserts too much of his personal views which they further claim are fairly liberal. though i cant account for the possable bias of the reviewers, they do give some specific examples that make their claims seem plausable.

overall i would be extrimely wary with this book, though again i am working on limited information. perhapse someone else knows more about it.
Old Oct 10, '07, 12:20 pm

I've read the book Essential Catholicism by Thomas Bokenkotter. Somebody gave it to me. As I was reading it I wanted to burn it and be done with it, but I read it just in case somebody, such as yourself, asked me about it.

Stay away from this book, it is poison for the soul, Thomas Bokenkotter is in the same heretical league as Fr. Curran, Fr. McBride, Daniel Maguire, Hans Kung.

I swear these authors who had their time of prosperity in the 70s and 80s can't disappear soon enough.

The portion of the book that is really off the edge (much of what he says is cleverly disguised, but his section on morality is blatantly wrong and evil) is the morality section.

Shortly after I read his book I had to quickly pick up Pope John Paul II's Veritatis Splendor to counteract any negative impact it had on me, as Veritatis Splendor so splendidly debunks all of his claims in regards to morality.

If you want some recommendations here you go:

"Glories of Divine Grace" by Fr. Matthias Scheeben
anything written by the Saints (I am particularly fond of the 3 great Carmelites: St John of the Cross, St Teresa of Avila, and St. Therese of Lisieux, I also like St. Francis de Sales and St. Alphonsus de Ligouri), pick up anything written by these holy people.

Also pick up Imitation of Christ.
Old Oct 10, '07, 12:30 pm

I have another recommendation:

You may want to consider joining the Marian Catechists and going through their formation.

It is the same catechetical formation that Mother Teresa's nuns received.

http://www.mariancatechist.com/
Old Oct 10, '07, 5:32 pm
Banned

Stay away from ANYTHING
by Thomas Bokenkotter. Bad news.

I read parts of Dynamic Catholicism years back.
In that book he claimed that Saint Philomena
was made up out of whole cloth. At that point,
I knew he was not a reverent man and vowed not to
read anything else of his.

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
Old Oct 10, '07, 11:26 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thanks evreyone for the feedback. I keep the swap table at church in order and remove and examine all books. I have removed a number of egregiously bad items like some on Pius Xthe group but really wasn't sure about this. I will destroy it and not read any further than the bit I have.

And Proud, when I get back from my retreat this weekend I will check out that website.
Old Oct 11, '07, 12:11 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud2bcatholic View Post
Stay away from this book, it is poison for the soul, Thomas Bokenkotter is in the same heretical league as Fr. Curran, Fr. McBride, Daniel Maguire, Hans Kung.

I .
which Fr. McBride?
Fr. Alfred McBride O.Praem is as orthodox and reliable a priest and as good a teacher, speaker and writer as you will find anywhere. please be extremely careful about slinging these names around.
Old Oct 11, '07, 6:11 am

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
which Fr. McBride?
Fr. Alfred McBride O.Praem is as orthodox and reliable a priest and as good a teacher, speaker and writer as you will find anywhere. please be extremely careful about slinging these names around.
Perhaps proud2bcatholic meant to write "Father Richard McBrien"?
Old Oct 11, '07, 11:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL93 View Post
Perhaps proud2bcatholic meant to write "Father Richard McBrien"?

Yes, that is what I meant, I apologize for any confusion.
Old May 11, '11, 8:55 pm

Why are you all so scared of ideas that you think they need to be banned? Fr. Bokenkotter is a priest in good standing. His teachings and his books have never been condemned by any of the bishops in the church so I do not understand why you should not read his works. If you find something disagreeable, then you should continue your reading and research in order to evaluate Fr. Bokenkotter's statements on your own. Those who are telling you that his works do not represent Catholic teaching are claiming an authority that is reserved for the successors to the Apostles who have received the fullness of ordination and a special blessing of the Holy Spirit. Of course, I am basing my statement on the assumption that no one who has condemned this man's work is a Bishop of our Apostolic Church with authority to make such judgements. Please correct me if I'm wrong and I will gladly defer to His Excellency that posts here.
Old May 12, '11, 10:04 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackxowen View Post
Why are you all so scared of ideas that you think they need to be banned? Fr. Bokenkotter is a priest in good standing. His teachings and his books have never been condemned by any of the bishops in the church so I do not understand why you should not read his works. If you find something disagreeable, then you should continue your reading and research in order to evaluate Fr. Bokenkotter's statements on your own. Those who are telling you that his works do not represent Catholic teaching are claiming an authority that is reserved for the successors to the Apostles who have received the fullness of ordination and a special blessing of the Holy Spirit. Of course, I am basing my statement on the assumption that no one who has condemned this man's work is a Bishop of our Apostolic Church with authority to make such judgements. Please correct me if I'm wrong and I will gladly defer to His Excellency that posts here.
Remember, Pope Gregory XVI supported the destruction of bad books, because they can be harmful to unsuspecting souls (cf. Mirari Vos, n. 16).

In the last 50 years, how often has the Church condemned works written by Catholic authors? And wasn't the Index of Forbidden Books done away with?

Many priests "in good standing" (and 'theologians') preach heresy and are rarely corrected. Exhibit A: Fr. McBrien still teaches theology at Notre Dame and is in good standing, despite his well-documented heterodox teaching. http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2005/0507fea4.asp

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/dissent/disspeop.htm (How many of these Catholics have been duly corrected by their bishops, in an authoritative manner?)

Those who warn us of Fr. Bokenkotter's horrible works are doing us a favor and looking out for us (which is a charitable thing to do).
Old May 12, '11, 10:07 am
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Cradle Roman Catholic

What of Bokenkotter's Concise History of the Catholic Church ?

Any red flags in it ?
Old May 12, '11, 10:08 am

I really enjoyed "My Other Self" by Clarence Enzler.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Other-Self-.../dp/0871930560
Old Nov 19, '11, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Trent View Post
What of Bokenkotter's Concise History of the Catholic Church ?

Any red flags in it ?
After reading a few pages I came across several lines which bothered me in which he says...

" Moreover, parallels to the Gospel miracles have been found by scholars in contemporary pagan and rabbinic literature...."

Also

"The Gospels would have us believe that both political and religious motives were involved"

This also bugs me....but I will continue to read it though to see what else it says.
Old Nov 22, '11, 7:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud2bcatholic View Post
I've read the book Essential Catholicism by Thomas Bokenkotter. Somebody gave it to me. As I was reading it I wanted to burn it and be done with it, but I read it just in case somebody, such as yourself, asked me about it.

I swear these authors who had their time of prosperity in the 70s and 80s can't disappear soon enough.

The portion of the book that is really off the edge (much of what he says is cleverly disguised, but his section on morality is blatantly wrong and evil) is the morality section.

Shortly after I read his book I had to quickly pick up Pope John Paul II's Veritatis Splendor to counteract any negative impact it had on me, as Veritatis Splendor so splendidly debunks all of his claims in regards to morality.

If you want some recommendations here you go:

"Glories of Divine Grace" by Fr. Matthias Scheeben
anything written by the Saints (I am particularly fond of the 3 great Carmelites: St John of the Cross, St Teresa of Avila, and St. Therese of Lisieux, I also like St. Francis de Sales and St. Alphonsus de Ligouri), pick up anything written by these holy people.

Also pick up Imitation of Christ.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism