Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 25, '07, 6:00 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to MaryB23
Default Stripping diapers question

I'm currently stripping my cloth diaper collection. I suspect there is some detergent residue b/c the smell has been getting gradually stronger and my poor little guy had some chapped skin the other morning.

Anyway, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I washed them on hot with Palmolive yesterday accidentally. Then I washed them again with Dawn and did 2 extra rinses. I dried them after that but ran them through a hot wash cycle again today with nothing and at the extra rinse part, there are a couple dozen bubbles when I first lift the lid after it's agitating but they disappear right away. My question is that there seems to be something floating in the water. I'm not sure if that's detergent residue or if it's from our hard water. I know we have hard water but I don't know how hard it is, KWIM?

I had DH turn the water heater up before I did this, too.

Any ideas? Could I have detergent residue without a lot of bubbles? Or is it more likely my water? Or something else?

Thanks for any help!

Old Oct 25, '07, 7:26 am

Default Re: Stripping diapers question

Use either baking soda or Borax in your water if you have hard water. This will help to soften the water.

I used to soak my diapers in a solution of Borax and then wash with my regular detergent and then run them through one full wash cycle with nothing. I hung them in the spring, summer and fall but put them in the dryer in the winter (I don't like the cold and I didn't have a place inside to hang them).

Oh, and this was 20 years ago.

Brenda V.

Old Oct 25, '07, 8:47 am

What is your regular detergent? Have you tried using more detergent than usual? It could be you aren't using enough and they aren't really getting clean. If they smell just out of the wash then they need more detergent and just rinse it out. Water bubbles when you shake it a lot. I haven't tried it but maybe try shaking some water in a zip lock back to see if it bubbles. Then you would see the difference between clean water bubbles and detergent residue bubbles. It doesn't sound like detergent though if it goes away in a second or two after stopping the machine.

Something that I heard about for a long time but just tried also is bio-kleen bac-out. I add about a Tablespoon to the prewash cycle if there are stinkies and then launder as usual. Everything came out so clean. But I do need to ask bumgenius makers if it's safe for their diapers. It is fine I'm sure for cotton/hemp fibers.
Old Oct 25, '07, 10:58 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Matthew 16:18
Send a message via AIM to PatienceAndLove Send a message via MSN to PatienceAndLove Send a message via Yahoo to PatienceAndLove

Use Dr. Bronners soap for the diapers. It does not create residue, and you only need 1/4 cup for an entire load.
If you are using concentrated detergent, you may need to back off on the amount you are using. I would suggest that for regular as well. The case is usually too much detergent rather than not enough. Also, try a vinegar rinse during the rinse cycle. The vinegar helps break down any detergent that may still remain, and disinfects and deodorizes.

Old Oct 25, '07, 8:04 pm

I agree -- a soak load of borax (small scoop) and 1 cup of vinegar followed by a clean running load of JUST a cup of vinegar should help. Hot water begets bubbles at times -- but if it IS residue the vinegar and Borax should really help.
Old Oct 26, '07, 10:25 am

I second the vinegar!

God bless and protect our military
Old Oct 26, '07, 10:53 am
Forum Supporter

White vinegar....

You may want to run a gallon of vinegar through your washing machine to remove hard water residue. All by itself.....In hard water areas I have done this a couple times a year....You can also use LimeAway if you have a real bad build up of calcuim and lime.....it is more expensive and the vinegar is effective especially if you use it periodically.....

Then use the borax pre-soak......
and run a second - clear - rinse cycle......

Lysol makes a laundary dysinfectant......you can use this if your little ones have been sick....there are some other brands as well....seems like I used to get one from AMWAY [but my children are grown and having kids now!]

PS: if you have hard water and use an automatic dishwasher, I would run white vinegar through it occassionally too!

YADA
Respect Christ - Vote Life
Old Oct 26, '07, 11:31 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryB23 View Post
I'm currently stripping my cloth diaper collection. I suspect there is . My question is that there seems to be something floating in the water.
!
it can be build up of residue from vaseline, desitin or other ointments you use. when you are laundering diapers regularly you have to clean your washer regularly as well (in fact we should all do this, according to the today show it is one of the germiest places in the house) I did this at DD's house this week and was surprised at how much scum was around the top of the tub and under the agitator. after you clean the tub, run a load of rags and stuff with borax and an extra rinse. then run the already clean diapers with borax, then put through another cycle with no product. line dry in the sun whenever possible. If you really have hard water investigate buying or renting a water softener, it can be piped only to the washer and bathrooms if you don't want to drink it. We just bought one at Lowes for under $700, and it is being installed tomorrow along with the new dishwasher, corroded and leaking because of our hard water.

if you think the problem is soap residue, run the clean diapers through a full cycle with Calgon alone. if you have been using too much detergent with diapers, chances are your sheets and towels could use this treatment too, if you see bubbles at all, you will know there is indeed a buildup. when I had 3 in diapers we found the amway regular laundry liquid was the only thing we could use, because you use so little and because the formula does not allow buildup, there are probably similar products around today.
Old Nov 3, '07, 7:25 pm
Book Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MaryB23

Well, for those that care, I think my problem was not enough detergent. I was so paranoid about using too much that I don't think I was using enough. I have started using a little more (about 1/2 a cap instead of 1/4) and white vinegar in a Downy ball and it's so much better!

I also cleaned my washer yesterday. I had cleaned it when I started CDing in July and it needed it again. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Oh, does anyone use Dawn in addition to their regular detergent during a wash? Like squirting it in once a week or so (I wash every other day) during a regular washing load to help keep detergent/diaper creams from building up? Or should it always be used separately to strip?

Old Nov 3, '07, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryB23 View Post
Well, for those that care, I think my problem was not enough detergent. I was so paranoid about using too much that I don't think I was using enough. I have started using a little more (about 1/2 a cap instead of 1/4) and white vinegar in a Downy ball and it's so much better!

I also cleaned my washer yesterday. I had cleaned it when I started CDing in July and it needed it again. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Oh, does anyone use Dawn in addition to their regular detergent during a wash? Like squirting it in once a week or so (I wash every other day) during a regular washing load to help keep detergent/diaper creams from building up? Or should it always be used separately to strip?

When I use dawn I use it after a regular wash with detergent. I run another hot wash and rinse until it's gone. I've never tried dawn with detergent at the same time...I wonder if it would work? I'm all for trying to save water. I cringe with every extra rinse cycle...city water....$$$$

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting