Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Is the Salvation Army anti-catholic
Yes, historically 4 8.33%
Yes, currently 3 6.25%
No, historically 6 12.50%
No, currently 6 12.50%
Don't know 29 60.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Oct 26, '07, 9:45 am
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: Born into Baptistism, Born Again into Catholichristianity
Default Salvation Army

The Salvation Army has request help from the Knights of Columbus at least in the State of Alabama.

They want us to help stand outside of stores and ring bells.

Point blank question, "Are they anti-catholic"
Old Oct 26, '07, 9:53 am
Banned

Religion: n/a
Default Re: Salvation Army

yikes. what do you think?
Old Oct 26, '07, 1:32 pm

Religion: Catholic

Who cares? I mean really... the money they raise goes to a good cause and with only one exception I have never heard of misappropriation or ripping people off, and the one incident happened to be an individual not the organization.

I am not trying to be rude, but how do you think that we will all come together and work for the good of man and glorify God when we are worried about whether to help or not?

My ex got help from the Salvation army and he was a self professed pagan high priest at the time... obviously they don't screen who they help based on their religious beliefs....
Old Oct 26, '07, 1:53 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Of course they are anti-Catholic. If they were pro-Catholic they would BE Catholic!

Being anti-Catholic does not mean that they have to wave banners that say we are all going to hell and that we worship idols - being anti-Catholic can be as subtle as just not following the One True Faith of Jesus Christ. To me - that is anti-Catholic.

It's pretty simple actually.

I would never support another religious organization - Salvation Army included. Sure - they do a lot of good in the world, but then again so does the Catholic Relief Agency. They just don't stand on street corners in bad red suits asking for money.

I'll give my money to my own Church, thank you. I think the KofC can find better things to do with their time.

~Liza
Old Oct 26, '07, 1:58 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlestOne View Post
Who cares?
I do. Because it is important.

Quote:
I am not trying to be rude, but how do you think that we will all come together and work for the good of man and glorify God when we are worried about whether to help or not?
I will stand side by side with them at an abortion clinic, I will hand out food and blankets with them, I will load cases of water into trucks with them, I will sit and pray with them. But I will never give them money so they can grow a religion that I do not believe to be true and right. Sorry - there is a very big difference. We CAN work together for the good of man and all that other warm and fuzzy stuff - but at the same time, I must consider what implicit support I am giving another religion when I give them my money.

~Liza
Old Oct 26, '07, 2:12 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

We give things, tolietries towels cans of food etc, to ECHO
Every Community Helping Others

We have a Salvation Army but it is declineing in membership I think but they do food baskets for thanksgiving yet or our ECHO is doing more.
D.

I can do all things in Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Through Him, With Him, and In Him
Old Oct 26, '07, 2:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
I do. Because it is important.

I will stand side by side with them at an abortion clinic, I will hand out food and blankets with them, I will load cases of water into trucks with them, I will sit and pray with them. But I will never give them money so they can grow a religion that I do not believe to be true and right. Sorry - there is a very big difference. We CAN work together for the good of man and all that other warm and fuzzy stuff - but at the same time, I must consider what implicit support I am giving another religion when I give them my money.

~Liza
This is what I am talking about too.... No I don't donate to them.... but yes to your list above... sorry, I thought this was the things we were talking about...
Old Oct 27, '07, 9:39 am

The Salvation Army is very small as a church. But the work they do to serve their fellow human beings is far beyond in proportion. They serve people without regard to race, ethnicity, and religion. If Catholics did the same, there would be far fewer problems in this world.

They are, to my point of view, not anti-Catholic, and they do employ Catholics.

As for those who do not donate to them, only one word. "shame" (Unless you prefer to donate to Catholic Charities, St. Vincent DePaul Society, Dorothy Day, or other Catholic organizations. )
Old Oct 28, '07, 4:55 pm
Banned

The Salvation Army is a quaint little protestant group whose officers dress up in equally-quaint pseudo-military uniforms.
They tend to be very nice folks.
One of them told me once that they do not believe in any sacraments at all, though. So that could raise eyebrows.

On the other hand, they are a tremendously benevolent
charity organization as well, doing lots of good for many, many people, and I think what the department stores are doing to them --banning their Christmas kettles from near their stores in capitulation to the Radical Homosexual Leftwing-- is an abomination and the Salvation Army deserves better treatment than that.

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
Old Oct 28, '07, 6:06 pm

Religion: Catholic but at the moment seperated from the sacraments

Jaypeeto4,

Whats the beef with the radical Homosexual left wing and the SA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypeeto4 View Post
The Salvation Army is a quaint little protestant group whose officers dress up in equally-quaint pseudo-military uniforms.
They tend to be very nice folks.
One of them told me once that they do not believe in any sacraments at all, though. So that could raise eyebrows.

On the other hand, they are a tremendously benevolent
charity organization as well, doing lots of good for many, many people, and I think what the department stores are doing to them --banning their Christmas kettles from near their stores in capitulation to the Radical Homosexual Leftwing-- is an abomination and the Salvation Army deserves better treatment than that.

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
Old Oct 28, '07, 7:50 pm

I said yes, historically. The SA has historically taught that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon. Don't know if they still teach that. Why don't you just ask them?

Paul
Old Oct 28, '07, 8:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Who cares? I mean really... the money they raise goes to a good cause and with only one exception I have never heard of misappropriation or ripping people off, and the one incident happened to be an individual not the organization.

My ex got help from the Salvation army and he was a self professed pagan high priest at the time... obviously they don't screen who they help based on their religious beliefs....
## If they're on speaking terms with, and asking help from, a Catholic organisation - well, that doesn't sound anti-Catholic

When asked, "Who is my neighbour ?", Jesus did not answer, "Your fellow-Jew" - he said this instead

IMHO, we should co-operate with other Christians as much they will let us. (Especially those who are persecuted or in any other need)
Old Oct 28, '07, 8:38 pm

Religion: Catholic (typical hardcore papist)

I agree that we should always cooperate with any other organization to bring about good.

But to donate money to them which benefits the spread of their church would be wrong, as it would be supporting a lie. Since their church is based upon the lie that Christ did not have the power to sustain His Church and that truth doesn't matter then we would be supporting lies with our charity.

If on the other hand we help them feed the hungry, clothe the naked or visit the sick that is perfectly fine.

Jesus said not to impede those who do good in His name even if they are not united with Christ's Church.

God Bless
Scylla
1 Timothy 3:15
Old Oct 29, '07, 8:35 am

Religion: The Beautiful Catholic Faith

Quote:
Of course they are anti-Catholic. If they were pro-Catholic they would BE Catholic!

Being anti-Catholic does not mean that they have to wave banners that say we are all going to hell and that we worship idols - being anti-Catholic can be as subtle as just not following the One True Faith of Jesus Christ. To me - that is anti-Catholic.

It's pretty simple actually.

I would never support another religious organization - Salvation Army included. Sure - they do a lot of good in the world, but then again so does the Catholic Relief Agency. They just don't stand on street corners in bad red suits asking for money.

I'll give my money to my own Church, thank you. I think the KofC can find better things to do with their time.

~Liza
Just curious because i am in the Knights of Columbus, what things are the KofC involved in that is a waste of time?
Old Oct 29, '07, 8:49 am
Banned

Religion: n/a

Quote:
Extremists can only see black & white.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions