Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 29, '07, 7:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Newborn in the house - Whats your Thermostat set at?

As the weather gets colder, the battle over the thermostat starts again (all in fun jest)

Now that we have our DD, at 11 weeks old, my wife has a new reason to keep turning the temperature up. Just curious what "normal" is for most homes this winter, especially those who have a newborn in the house.

I seem to be comfortable at about 68, my wife at 72 . Trying to compromise at 70 .
Old Oct 29, '07, 7:46 am

Religion: Catholic as of Easter 2005
Default Re: Newborn in the house - Whats your Thermostat set at?

with a baby, you can put them in those blanket sleepers and a onesie to keep them warm.

But we always keep our out at 68, when the kids were smaller (they are only 4 and 3 now) then we would bump it to 69 or 70.

It's chilly but you can always put more clothes on than take clothes off. That's what sweaters are for and blankets on the couch.
Old Oct 29, '07, 7:48 am
Veteran Member

72 is not unreasonable right now.
Old Oct 29, '07, 7:49 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

When DS was born, we stayed in the hospital for 3 days post-birth. I kept the AC cranked as low as it would go, and kept DS in the room with me. The nurses would tsk-tsk me that I was going to "freeze that baby". Ends up, he is a hot natured kid just like his mamma

Every baby is different - my advice, keep mamma happy.
Old Oct 29, '07, 7:51 am

Summer it's at 77... winter it's at 70...

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Oct 29, '07, 7:52 am

I think it depends on where you live. I'm in MN and once winter hits it's cold for a LONG time. I don't like being cold in my house as well as out side. We strive to keep it around 72 during the day but I'm not afraid to turn it up if I'm cold. There's just a level of comfort that you have to find and sometimes sweaters and socks and slippers just don't do enough.

Jennifer
Old Oct 29, '07, 7:57 am

With gas prices here going through the roof, we haven't used our heat for three years now until around early February, which means at night the house gets down in the high to low 50s.

At night, the baby stays bundled in fleece buntings/sleepsacks and a hat. I also don't cover the baby but drape a big fleece blanket over the cosleeper/crib (wherever he happens to be) so the baby's body and feet are in the "cave" but his head is not. It is nice and cozy in there. And when we cosleep, he's in bed with us so he's warm anyway.

During the day we use two space heaters - one gets turned on in the kitchen/eating area, the other in the living room. The rest of the doors in the house are closed so the cold air stays out of the living areas. That works very well, and our gas bill is in the $40 range most of the winter. Electric only goes up a little with the space heaters.
Old Oct 29, '07, 8:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctareparata View Post
With gas prices here going through the roof, we haven't used our heat for three years now until around early February, which means at night the house gets down in the high to low 50s.

At night, the baby stays bundled in fleece buntings/sleepsacks and a hat. I also don't cover the baby but drape a big fleece blanket over the cosleeper/crib (wherever he happens to be) so the baby's body and feet are in the "cave" but his head is not. It is nice and cozy in there. And when we cosleep, he's in bed with us so he's warm anyway.

During the day we use two space heaters - one gets turned on in the kitchen/eating area, the other in the living room. The rest of the doors in the house are closed so the cold air stays out of the living areas. That works very well, and our gas bill is in the $40 range most of the winter. Electric only goes up a little with the space heaters.

Yes, but where do you live??? If I didn't turn on the heat until feb our water pipes would freeze!!!! lucky you that you can wait so long....

Jennifer
Old Oct 29, '07, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer J View Post
If I didn't turn on the heat until feb our water pipes would freeze!!!! lucky you that you can wait so long....

Jennifer
So true - I understand completely (I'm from north-central Iowa, right up there by the MN border). My "southern" method wouldn't work too well if I still lived there....

Where does the OP live? That makes a lot of difference....
Old Oct 29, '07, 8:13 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

How did all those babies ever survive before we could control the temperature in the house?

You keep 'em warm by wrapping them up. You keep 'em cool by taking off the extra clothes.
Old Oct 29, '07, 8:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercygate View Post
How did all those babies ever survive before we could control the temperature in the house?

You keep 'em warm by wrapping them up. You keep 'em cool by taking off the extra clothes.
Often, sadly, babies didn't survive harsh climates. I can't imagine living where I do now, next to the prairie during pioneer times. It was a hard life and people didn't survive. Personally, I'm grateful for my heated house and do wrap my babies up when needed.

Jennifer
Old Oct 29, '07, 8:34 am

Actually, I think it is better for the baby to be a little cool, than overly warm. "THEY" say keeping your house cooler decreases the risk of SIDS, now.
Old Oct 29, '07, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimay View Post
Actually, I think it is better for the baby to be a little cool, than overly warm. "THEY" say keeping your house cooler decreases the risk of SIDS, now.
Oooh, find me a source on that and your my hero!!!

In answer to our location, we live in Northern Illinois, so the nights are just getting close to freezing here now.
Old Oct 29, '07, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by clskier View Post
Oooh, find me a source on that and your my hero!!!

In answer to our location, we live in Northern Illinois, so the nights are just getting close to freezing here now.
Not to give you any ammunition but here's a Dr Sear's link:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T102100.asp

Now, be nice about it

Jennifer
Old Oct 29, '07, 9:36 am

A few pediatricians said that after the first week, a baby can get adjusted to whatever climate you want the baby to get adjusted to (within reason). Babies in Siberia have to deal with conditions different than babies living at the Equator. It's all relative to what temperature you want your baby to get use to. This may help OP. My dd (now 3) sleeps in nightgowns and we don't have our heat on at night yet (we're also in Northern IL area). She has one fleece blanket on her at night. She doesn't wake up cold nor complain about being cold. And the extremities aren't the best assesment about a baby's temperature, feel the baby's body (feet and hands tend to get cold easily - heck, mine can even be ice cold on a hot summer day even though the rest of my body is sweating).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting