Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 30, '07, 9:12 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Is Pope Benedict XVI The Same Man The Conclave Elected ?

In your opinion, has BXVI exceeded the expectations of those who elected him ? Has he surprised them in any way ?

And for those who knew a bit about him before he was elected, has your opinion of him changed since the day he became pope ?

As for myself, I admire him and love him dearly. I see good things ahead.
Old Oct 30, '07, 9:43 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is Pope Benedict XVI The Same Man The Conclave Elected ?

LOL!!!!!!!! I took the title of your thread literally. The title is, "Is Pope Benedict XVI The Same Man The Conclave Elected ?"

I thought this was another Sedevacantist conspiracy theory thread similar to the wacko theories concerning Pope John XXIII. I thought you were going to say Pope Benedict XVI had had been kidnapped by Freemasons, drugged, chained and held prisoner in the Vatican basement, while his replacement, a body double, would secretly take over the Papacy and lead the church to ruin. I almost expected before and after pictures comparing moles and different highlights of the nose, replete with gigantic red arrows and captions stating something to the effect "the change in the shape of this mole and the slight bump on the nose here proves the Seat of Peter is vacant."

LOL!!!!!!!

Of course, I don't believe such rubbish.

I came in here all ready to chew you up one side and down the other, as I'm not fond of Sede's. They make me more angry than Jack T. Chick.

Oh well. I guess I'll go take a bath instead.

God bless!
Old Oct 30, '07, 9:45 pm

Send a message via AIM to skatepixie

Yes, although I think it has to have changed him in some ways. I mean, how could such a call not change you?

But I think he's doing a great job, as I expected him to.

I realize I'm being non-commital. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he is every bit the great pope that I had hopes for. Yet, I'm sure being pope changes every man who holds that office...everything (well, everything big) that happens to us changes us.
Old Oct 30, '07, 9:54 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenArrow View Post
LOL!!!!!!!! I took the title of your thread literally. The title is, "Is Pope Benedict XVI The Same Man The Conclave Elected ?"

I thought this was another Sedevacantist conspiracy theory thread similar to the wacko theories concerning Pope John XXIII. I thought you were going to say Pope Benedict XVI had had been kidnapped by Freemasons, drugged, chained and held prisoner in the Vatican basement, while his replacement, a body double, would secretly take over the Papacy and lead the church to ruin. I almost expected before and after pictures comparing moles and different highlights of the nose, replete with gigantic red arrows and captions stating something to the effect "the change in the shape of this mole and the slight bump on the nose here proves the Seat of Peter is vacant."

LOL!!!!!!!

I came in here all ready to chew you up one side and down the other, as I'm not fond of Sede's. They make me more angry than Jack T. Chick.

God bless!
Oh boy
Old Oct 30, '07, 10:16 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!

God bless!
Bathe easy friend. I love the guy
Old Oct 30, '07, 10:30 pm

[quote=I_Believe;2909011
And for those who knew a bit about him before he was elected, has your opinion of him changed since the day he became pope ?

As for myself, I admire him and love him dearly. I see good things ahead.[/QUOTE]

Are there any of us here who actually know or knew our Holy Father, either before or after he became our pope?

"The only tragedy in life is not to be a saint." Leon Bloy.
Old Oct 30, '07, 10:58 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Are there any of us here who actually know or knew our Holy Father, either before or after he became our pope?
Mercy. What exactly in my op lead you to believe I expected those who have actually met him to be hanging out here ?

Read again friend. I asked the opinions of those who knew a bit about him before he became pope. And while we can't know what was on the minds of those who cast their votes at the time, I'm sure his Papacy has been discussed on EWTN radio and elsewhere. Possibly by some who were there. And some here may have heard those discussions.

Fair enough ?
Old Oct 30, '07, 11:10 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to paramedicgirl

Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!

God bless!
It has all the makings of a good Malachi Martin novel!
When you are before the altar believe that there are troops of angels and archangels trembling with respect before the sovereign Master of Heaven and earth. Therefore, when you are in church, be there in silence, fear, and veneration.

- Saint John Chrysostom

Salve Regina Blog
Old Oct 31, '07, 12:06 am
Banned
Book Club Member

I'll add that my reason for starting this thread was my curiosity regarding the implication by some that the Curia has been, and still may be, influenced by modernist/liberal thought.

Pope BXVI seems to be slowly but surely getting the Church back on course, and I'm wondering if those who elected him had a sense of what was to come. If so, I find that very encouraging.
Old Oct 31, '07, 5:59 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Believe View Post
I'll add that my reason for starting this thread was my curiosity regarding the implication by some that the Curia has been, and still may be, influenced by modernist/liberal thought.

Pope BXVI seems to be slowly but surely getting the Church back on course, and I'm wondering if those who elected him had a sense of what was to come. If so, I find that very encouraging.

I agree. Oh, and by the way, our diocese has sent you a very good Archbishop.
Old Oct 31, '07, 6:08 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!

God bless!
Wow. If you ever give up your day job, you could go to work for Jack Chick or maybe Pope Michael the first. You have SOME imagination!
Old Oct 31, '07, 6:50 am
Veteran Member

Quote:

I think it is a mistake to project too much on any pope. I don't think Pope Benedict belongs to any camp (ie, traditionalist, progressivist, etc.). I think he has the whole of the Church in his heart.
Old Oct 31, '07, 9:29 am
Banned

Quote:
He's moving much more slowly than anyone expected. I rather feared when he was elected that he would prove too divisive a figure. Maybe he was aware of this perception as well, so he is being very careful not to try to do too much all at once.

However our "risen Christ" crucifix has been replaced with a more conventional one. The risen Christ has been converted to a statue and now stands above the confessional.

Chnage is happening.
Old Oct 31, '07, 9:34 am

Yes, he is the same man--unless, as some really radical conspiracy theorists believe about Paul VI, he was secretly kidnapped and replaced with an actor who had plastic surgery to look like the pope
Old Oct 31, '07, 12:37 pm

I have been pleasantly surprised. I thought he might take a hard line and alienate some ultra liberals, but he has continued JPII basic policies. We have been very lucky to have had such wonderful popes. It proves that the Holy Spirit is behind every election. He is doing a terrific job, and I really look forward to His visit to the US.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism