Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 31, '07, 6:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default How do the Last Rites work?

I am curious as to how the Last Rites work.

For example if someone is a marginal Catholic, say only going to Mass on occasion, rarely use Confession and are surely in a state of mortal sin. One at an old age they are hospitalized and then go into a state of coma. They can't talk or move and have a breathing tube, etc. Say someone in the family calls a priest to do last rites. If they can't confess sins, are they going to hell? I've never seen the Last Rites done so I'm not sure what is done or how it works.
Old Oct 31, '07, 7:03 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How do the Last Rites work?

It would be a blessing if a family member were to call a priest before the sick person goes into a coma. They might also talk to them first to help them along toward a reconciliation, so that they will want to see the priest.
Old Oct 31, '07, 8:19 pm

This reminded me of something my Mom told me about her Dad. My Grandmother was Catholic; I don't know what religion my Grandfather was but he would take my Mom to Mass and then wait outside for her. He got very sick and was on his deathbed. He asked for a priest. No one knew why he'd want a priest since he wasn't Catholic but one was called anyway. He told the priest that he wanted to be Catholic. He was baptized and given the Last Rites; went into a coma and never came out of it. This was more than 75 years ago but the story in the family was that the last thing he did before he died was to become a Catholic.
Old Oct 31, '07, 8:20 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigtown View Post
This reminded me of something my Mom told me about her Dad. My Grandmother was Catholic; I don't know what religion my Grandfather was but he would take my Mom to Mass and then wait outside for her. He got very sick and was on his deathbed. He asked for a priest. No one knew why he'd want a priest since he wasn't Catholic but one was called anyway. He told the priest that he wanted to be Catholic. He was baptized and given the Last Rites; went into a coma and never came out of it. This was more than 75 years ago but the story in the family was that the last thing he did before he died was to become a Catholic.
Cool!

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog
Old Oct 31, '07, 9:26 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy_dave View Post
I'm tempted to say "very well, I hope."
Old Oct 31, '07, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy_dave View Post

For example if someone is a marginal Catholic, say only going to Mass on occasion, rarely use Confession and are surely in a state of mortal sin. One at an old age they are hospitalized and then go into a state of coma. They can't talk or move and have a breathing tube, etc. Say someone in the family calls a priest to do last rites. If they can't confess sins, are they going to hell? I've never seen the Last Rites done so I'm not sure what is done or how it works.

Quote:
A sermon of Caesar of Arles (ca. A.D. 470-542) contains the following: "As often as some infirmity overtakes a man, let him who is ill receive the body and blood of Christ; let him humbly and in faith ask the presbyters for blessed oil, to anoint his body, so that what was written may be fulfilled in him: ĎIs anyone among you sick? Let him bring in the presbyters, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil; and the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he be in sins, they will be forgiven him. . . . See to it, brethren, that whoever is ill hasten to the church, both that he may receive health of body and will merit to obtain the forgiveness of his sins" (Sermons 13[325]:3).
from the CA site: http://www.catholic.com/library/Anoi...f_the_Sick.asp
Quote:
...Canon 1007 excludes the giving of the sacrament to those who are manifestly unrepentant. If the person is still conscious the way to the state of grace is through the Sacrament of Penance, not through Anointing of the Sick. Having repented, they can then be anointed. If the sick person is unconscious and is known to have obstinately persisted in grave sin up to the point of losing consciousness, with no sign of repentance, they cannot be anointed. However, this is a high bar for denying the sacrament. Such a person who showed even an implicit sign of repentance (e.g. "please call the priest"), could be anointed. Another person who while not an obstinate sinner was nonetheless in the state of grave sin, but who had manifested an habitual desire to die a Catholic, could be anointed, even if he became unconscious in the very act of sinning. The basis of the different treatment is a prudent judgment that given their habitual frame of mind the person would repent if he could.

from a good summary about the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick:
http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/a...f_the_sick.htm

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments