Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 2, '07, 11:59 pm

Religion: catholic
Default my brother the wiccan sent me a wreath - help?

I am a little confused about exactly what to do. My brother is an open wiken. He's a litteral witch. anyhow they worship trees. they go out into the woods and do around a tree something close to what evangeliscals do before an alter. dancing and jumping and such.

here is the question my brother sent me a wreath the kind made a garland that you hang on your doors for christmas. this one he made out of an old tree that we use to have lying around the house. the chances of it being blessed at some wicken rite are pretty good. It however is seen as a emotional gesture by the family. he found a photo of us all around it. it was our christmas tree for 8 years or so. what do I do with that? Is it enough to have it blessed by a priest. does anyone know anything about this sort of thing. would it be a sin to hang it up? help
Old Nov 3, '07, 8:14 am

Religion: RCIA
Default Re: my brother the wiken help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by down under View Post
I am a little confused about exactly what to do. My brother is an open wiken. He's a litteral witch. anyhow they worship trees. they go out into the woods and do around a tree something close to what evangeliscals do before an alter. dancing and jumping and such.

here is the question my brother sent me a wreath the kind made a garland that you hang on your doors for christmas. this one he made out of an old tree that we use to have lying around the house. the chances of it being blessed at some wicken rite are pretty good. It however is seen as a emotional gesture by the family. he found a photo of us all around it. it was our christmas tree for 8 years or so. what do I do with that? Is it enough to have it blessed by a priest. does anyone know anything about this sort of thing. would it be a sin to hang it up? help
Have it reblessed by a Catholic Priest.
Old Nov 3, '07, 3:18 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Matthew 16:18
Send a message via AIM to PatienceAndLove Send a message via MSN to PatienceAndLove Send a message via Yahoo to PatienceAndLove
Default Re: my brother the wiccan help?

You mean a wreath? Most people hang wreaths on their door for Christmas...

Have the wreath blessed by a priest.

Old Nov 3, '07, 5:57 pm

Religion: Catholic

Agreed with the other poster...Have it Properly blessed by your priest. Don't forget a little blessed salt goes a long way, keep holy water around as well.
Old Nov 3, '07, 7:50 pm

Religion: Free and undefined!

Quote:
anyhow they worship trees
Whoah...wiccans do not worship trees at all. We see divinity everywhere, and have great respect for nature. And since we see divinity everywhere, we do see it in nature too, as well as people. But we don't worship people or nature...we worship the God and Goddess, which is ultimately one being. I suggest that if your brother is in fact a wiccan then you should do some actual research about Wiccans first.

And if your brother did bless it, I do not see why this is bad. In Wicca, a blessing is pouring your love into something and wishing it to help in some way, just like in any other religion. But I also say that you should get it blessed by a priest too. The more blessings on something, the better! You could even have your family gather around the wreath and bless it, filling it with love!
Old Nov 3, '07, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger057 View Post
Whoah...wiccans do not worship trees at all. We see divinity everywhere, and have great respect for nature. And since we see divinity everywhere, we do see it in nature too, as well as people. But we don't worship people or nature...we worship the God and Goddess, which is ultimately one being. I suggest that if your brother is in fact a wiccan then you should do some actual research about Wiccans first.

And if your brother did bless it, I do not see why this is bad. In Wicca, a blessing is pouring your love into something and wishing it to help in some way, just like in any other religion. But I also say that you should get it blessed by a priest too. The more blessings on something, the better! You could even have your family gather around the wreath and bless it, filling it with love!
let us take this from the beginning. Catholics had to deal with this idea early. You see there was a whole sect that went to far in saying that christ was not human and that the flesh was evil. they did this because they could not logically get around the fact that if christ is a fully human and fully divine, then to worship christ is to worship a man.
In the same way if God is everywhere and in everything to the point that you can kneel down in front of a tree and whorship God, that does not remove you from the fact that you are still physically worshiping a tree. You are worshiping creation instead of the author of creation. Hence the reason we call you pagan. Although this is not proper, wicca has no ties to classic paganism. The book on wicca was written 18th century as I recall could be slightly off. I will look it up again if you insist, but all of this is besides the point. I will not have something someone cast a spell on (litterally my brother carries around a book of magic with a 7 sided pentagram on the cover. he wears a medallion publically bearing the same symbol) in my house unless I can be sure all pagan influences are gone and it is simply a emotional gift between brothers.
Old Nov 3, '07, 9:53 pm

Religion: Hellenic Neopagan Unitarian Universalist (polytheist)

Quote:
In the same way if God is everywhere and in everything to the point that you can kneel down in front of a tree and whorship God, that does not remove you from the fact that you are still physically worshiping a tree. You are worshiping creation instead of the author of creation.
Not quite, or every time you knelt in front of a cross, an icon, a statue of Jesus or a saint, you would also be "worshipping creation". For most folks who follow any of a variety of Neopagan religions, including Wicca, the physical object, whatever it may be, is simply a focal point for intention, not the entirety of a Deity.

Quote:
Although this is not proper, wicca has no ties to classic paganism.
Again, not quite. It is true that there is no evidence that any form of Wicca is an unbroken continuation of any known pre-Christian European religion nor that anything that looks like Wicca was practiced at all by any known pre-Christian European culture in antiquity. What we understand as "Wicca" originates in the 20th century. It does, however, have "ties" to these ancient religions in that it draws much inspiration from them (as well as many other sources from varied points in history, including Christianity).

Quote:
I will not have something someone cast a spell on (litterally my brother carries around a book of magic with a 7 sided pentagram on the cover. he wears a medallion publically bearing the same symbol) in my house unless I can be sure all pagan influences are gone and it is simply a emotional gift between brothers.
I would say either pitch it or go on and get it blessed by a priest so that you can get on with your regular life. It is honestly probably not worth the level of stress it seems to be causing you and it does not sound as if you would be content with your brother simply saying he had not involved it in any religious ritual.

Technically, a pentagram has 5 sides and is the usual Wiccan symbol. A seven sided figure is a heptagram, and appears to have some meaning within a number of religious traditions, including some forms of Wicca. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heptagram.
Old Nov 3, '07, 11:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenNC View Post
Not quite, or every time you knelt in front of a cross, an icon, a statue of Jesus or a saint, you would also be "worshipping creation". For most folks who follow any of a variety of Neopagan religions, including Wicca, the physical object, whatever it may be, is simply a focal point for intention, not the entirety of a Deity.

I would say either pitch it or go on and get it blessed by a priest so that you can get on with your regular life. It is honestly probably not worth the level of stress it seems to be causing you and it does not sound as if you would be content with your brother simply saying he had not involved it in any religious ritual.

Technically, a pentagram has 5 sides and is the usual Wiccan symbol. A seven sided figure is a heptagram, and appears to have some meaning within a number of religious traditions, including some forms of Wicca. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heptagram.
first we don't as you point out worship the cross we worship the son of God. Wiccans whorship the tree which IS GOD. God is everywhere and therefore he is in the tree making the tree worthy as an object of worship. not because it reminds you of God, but because it is God, in the fact that it contains God. different thing entirely then veneration of the cross or anyother religious object. We venerate a statue of christ because we believe in the thing the statue represents not because the statue is god or contains god, and certainly not because the wood is worthy of such attention.

I am not sure about the fine point you are cutting with you second thought, however you have admitted that wicca is a 20th century creation so I will let that go.

It is a big deal in that I would never imagine of insulting my brother in such a way at the same time I cannot hang a pagan symbol blessed by a devil worshiper in my house. I don't care if his pentgram has 5 10 or 1000 points. It is still a demonic symbol that everyone would recognize at first glance (or as you might say confuse) as a devil worshippers symbol. I will not temp fate. my brother does not know any better. I do. the first image of wicca was a horned devil god but that was not bringing in the laides so they changed it to a goddess. Nor will I tolarate the chalace and blade symbology. This is plainly abortion. I cannot have this symbol or something that may have been blessed by a witch in my home without making sure all of those influences are removed and all that remaines is the honest gift of one brother to another.

I'm sorry I rambleing so lets end here.
Old Nov 4, '07, 7:34 am

Quote:
Wiccans whorship the tree which IS GOD.
No, we HONOR nature, not worship it. Don't Catholics say the same thing about Mary?

Also, Wicca does actually have a lto of ties to ancient paganism. While it is true that Wicca is certainly not ancient or that there are unbroken lines of witches, many traditions and festivals that are Wiccan are pagan as well.

Quote:
I cannot hang a pagan symbol blessed by a devil worshiper in my house
Once again, this proves that you know next to nothing about Wicca. They worship the God and Goddess, not the devil. The devil is a christian idea, and the christians can keep him! Please, just read a book on Wicca so you will be informed about what your brother is actually doing.
Old Nov 4, '07, 8:34 am
Banned

Quote:

I would have it blessed by the priest and place a crucifix above it (or an image of Jesus and Mary together.)
Old Nov 4, '07, 8:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger057 View Post
No, we HONOR nature, not worship it. Don't Catholics say the same thing about Mary?

Also, Wicca does actually have a lto of ties to ancient paganism. While it is true that Wicca is certainly not ancient or that there are unbroken lines of witches, many traditions and festivals that are Wiccan are pagan as well.

Once again, this proves that you know next to nothing about Wicca. They worship the God and Goddess, not the devil. The devil is a christian idea, and the christians can keep him! Please, just read a book on Wicca so you will be informed about what your brother is actually doing.
Wicca was founded by Gardner and Aleister C (satanist). I was a Wiccan quite a while so I know a bit about it. One other thing, witchcraft and paganism are very different, and Gardner and Aleister tried to mix the two. That's why I went from Wicca to just plain old-fashioned paganism in it's simplest form, and then left that for Jesus and Mary. God Bless.
Old Nov 4, '07, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanofarc3 View Post
Wicca was founded by Gardner and Aleister C (satanist). I was a Wiccan quite a while so I know a bit about it. One other thing, witchcraft and paganism are very different, and Gardner and Aleister tried to mix the two. That's why I went from Wicca to just plain old-fashioned paganism in it's simplest form, and then left that for Jesus and Mary. God Bless.
I know, I didnt say it was ancient paganism. I think that even Wicca dn witchcraft are two different things, but most Wiccans are witches and magickal rituals are a big part of Wicca.

Wicca does have some paganistic tradtions in it, such as Samhain, among others.
As for Aleister, I despise the man, even though some of his works are good...a horrible person, all in all.
Old Nov 4, '07, 9:05 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: καθολικ,Obl OSB

Quote:

Bless it yourself, and consecrate it to God's glory, then put it up. Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the woods.

Quote:
let us take this from the beginning. Catholics had to deal with this idea early. You see there was a whole sect that went to far in saying that christ was not human and that the flesh was evil. they did this because they could not logically get around the fact that if christ is a fully human and fully divine, then to worship christ is to worship a man.
In the same way if God is everywhere and in everything to the point that you can kneel down in front of a tree and whorship God, that does not remove you from the fact that you are still physically worshiping a tree. You are worshiping creation instead of the author of creation. Hence the reason we call you pagan. Although this is not proper, wicca has no ties to classic paganism. The book on wicca was written 18th century as I recall could be slightly off. I will look it up again if you insist, but all of this is besides the point. I will not have something someone cast a spell on (litterally my brother carries around a book of magic with a 7 sided pentagram on the cover. he wears a medallion publically bearing the same symbol) in my house unless I can be sure all pagan influences are gone and it is simply a emotional gift between brothers.
I think you have an erroneous view of Wicca. Wiccans don't worship trees. This kind of logic is the same that is used against Catholics (wrongly) that if we kneel in front of a stature we are worshipping the statue. Wicca is tied to ancient Paganism (not classic), and is a nature religion that pre-dates Christianity for millenia.

You do not need to worry about spells, though. If you , your house, and everything in it are consecrated to God, no spells will be able to harm you.
"The tradition of the Apostles has been made manifest throughout the world, and can be found in every Church by those who wish to know the truth." -- Irenaeus, writing about A.D. 189, on how the unity of the Church was based on the Apostolic Tradition everywhere handed down (paradosis).

Last edited by guanophore; Nov 4, '07 at 9:13 am. Reason: addition
Old Nov 4, '07, 9:22 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: καθολικ,Obl OSB

Quote:
I am not sure about the fine point you are cutting with you second thought, however you have admitted that wicca is a 20th century creation so I will let that go.
That Wiccan practices and thinking are ancient.

Quote:
It is a big deal in that I would never imagine of insulting my brother in such a way at the same time I cannot hang a pagan symbol blessed by a devil worshiper in my house.
Wiccans are not devil worshippers. They are people that recognize divinity in creation"

" Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made." Rom 1:19-20

Quote:
I don't care if his pentgram has 5 10 or 1000 points. It is still a demonic symbol that everyone would recognize at first glance (or as you might say confuse) as a devil worshippers symbol. I will not temp fate. my brother does not know any better. I do. the first image of wicca was a horned devil god but that was not bringing in the laides so they changed it to a goddess.
You have been taught misinformation about Wicca.

Quote:
Nor will I tolarate the chalace and blade symbology. This is plainly abortion. I cannot have this symbol or something that may have been blessed by a witch in my home without making sure all of those influences are removed and all that remaines is the honest gift of one brother to another.
It is not a problem for your to bless the wreath, and command any evil influence not of God to flee from it, and not return.

Quote:
I'm sorry I rambleing so lets end here.
Clearly you have a great deal of emotion and conflict about your brother and his involvement with Wicca. This is probably because you love him dearly, and are concerned for his soul.
"The tradition of the Apostles has been made manifest throughout the world, and can be found in every Church by those who wish to know the truth." -- Irenaeus, writing about A.D. 189, on how the unity of the Church was based on the Apostolic Tradition everywhere handed down (paradosis).

Old Nov 4, '07, 10:01 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanophore View Post

You have been taught misinformation about Wicca.

Which part is untrue?

"I don't care if his pentgram has 5 10 or 1000 points. It is still a demonic symbol that everyone would recognize at first glance (or as you might say confuse) as a devil worshippers symbol. I will not temp fate. my brother does not know any better. I do. the first image of wicca was a horned devil god but that was not bringing in the laides so they changed it to a goddess."
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology