Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 5, '07, 5:33 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Thumbs up Ways to becoming a better Catholic

I thought I'd start a thread, especially with the Advent season fast approaching--to talk about some ways we can become better Catholics...and thus, closer to God in our daily lives. I admit that when I stop praying the Rosary and Chaplet on a daily basis, my life seems less than bright.

So...for me, I can become a better Catholic by praying the Rosary more, and working back up to daily. I also can become a better Catholic, by not complaining about trivial matters in life. I have a great life, and am grateful for it.

Hope this thread proves to be enlightening, and positive for everyone...

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Nov 5, '07, 5:53 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ways to becoming a better Catholic

Those are great things to do!

I will add that reading a book by saint who really exudes the flame of divine love really helps me--it's like the sparks and embers come off the page and ignite me! I think St. Alphonsus Liguori is one saint fits this description and who has written a lot, but there are many more!
Old Nov 5, '07, 5:59 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis315 View Post
Those are great things to do!

I will add that reading a book by saint who really exudes the flame of divine love really helps me--it's like the sparks and embers come off the page and ignite me! I think St. Alphonsus Liguori is one saint fits this description and who has written a lot, but there are many more!
Hey--that's a great idea...I'm sorry, what I St Alphonsus known for? (See? I need to brush up on my saint knowledge) Great idea though, to read about someone who was an ordinary person, doing extraordinary things for God!

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Nov 5, '07, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
Hey--that's a great idea...I'm sorry, what I St Alphonsus known for? (See? I need to brush up on my saint knowledge) Great idea though, to read about someone who was an ordinary person, doing extraordinary things for God!
He's a Doctor of the Church who wrote a lot of devotional literature in the 18th century. Basically anything you can read by him is really good . I'm currently reading his book "The Incarnation, Birth, and Infancy of Jesus Christ." I've also read "Unifomrity with God's Will" ; "Prayer: the Great Means of Salvation and Perfection" and "Glories of Mary." They were all excellent. He also wrote a book on loving Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, on the Passion, one on the lives of the martyrs, and many, many more.

He also wrote some beautiful stations of the Cross :

http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesau...ercitumVC.html
Old Nov 5, '07, 6:49 pm

Religion: Orthodox
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawb

I always have to remind myself to pray for faith, hope, and charity. I always forget these are gifts that I must constantly ask for (and the greatest of these is charity!)

I too notice that if my prayer life slips than my life starts getting "muddy". I have to pray for patience and humility constantly, or else I get to be grumpy and rude to people, which obviously is not a good thing I love the Litany of Humility. I know if as I pray it I stop before a line and think "do I really want to pray for this?" than I really need to pray for it!

Asking the intercession of the saints too, throughout the day, and ending the night by calming down and just talking with Our Lord really helps me.
Old Nov 5, '07, 6:52 pm

The average Catholic does not evangalize well.

Deacon John Beckman has on his website a link to Faith Chats, several 1 page articles that he and Deacon Jim Russell write.

Print 1 or 2 out and give them out. We are starting to include them in our church bulletin.

www.catholicchristians.com
Old Nov 5, '07, 6:53 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawb View Post
I always have to remind myself to pray for faith, hope, and charity. I always forget these are gifts that I must constantly ask for (and the greatest of these is charity!)

I too notice that if my prayer life slips than my life starts getting "muddy". I have to pray for patience and humility constantly, or else I get to be grumpy and rude to people, which obviously is not a good thing I love the Litany of Humility. I know if as I pray it I stop before a line and think "do I really want to pray for this?" than I really need to pray for it!

Asking the intercession of the saints too, throughout the day, and ending the night by calming down and just talking with Our Lord really helps me.
Thanks for sharing with us! What is the Litany of Humility? Is there one for patience?

Old Nov 5, '07, 6:53 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmelosi View Post
The average Catholic does not evangalize well.

Deacon John Beckman has on his website a link to Faith Chats, several 1 page articles that he and Deacon Jim Russell write.

Print 1 or 2 out and give them out. We are starting to include them in our church bulletin.

www.catholicchristians.com
Thank you for think link. I agree, some of us are not great evangelizers...but every day is a new opportunity.

Old Nov 5, '07, 7:33 pm
Banned

Talking Re: Ways to becoming a better Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
Thanks for sharing with us! What is the Litany of Humility? Is there one for patience?

From AA: "God grant me patience, and I want it RIGHT NOW!"
Old Nov 5, '07, 7:35 pm
Banned

Well, for starters, there are plenty of Advent daily Meditation books that could be used at this time. Or see what organizations are in your Parish. The Legion Of Mary, if you have one, is a good place to start. If you REALLY want to ramp up, see if any Third Orders are in your area. (Or stop by http://www.penitents.org
Old Nov 6, '07, 6:36 am

Religion: kicked to the curb by fellow Catholics

I'm starting a little early, but I'm going to Daily Mass as often as possible. There is a church by my office that has Mass at 12:10 every day, perfect for lunch hour. I should be able to go 4 days a week. I work one day at home, and I don't drive those days, so I'll have to do a spiritual communion or check out EWTN for those days. I'm hoping that will help to "jump start" my prayer life and give me the graces necessary to make a real effort for Advent.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality