Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 8, '07, 5:22 pm

Religion: catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to coleraine
Default a question concerning masterbation

if someone engaged in the act of masterbation, but stops almost immediatly after they started, way before the climax, is it still a mortal sin? at what point in the act is it a mortal sin?
Old Nov 8, '07, 5:28 pm

Default Re: a question concerning masterbation

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleraine View Post
if someone engaged in the act of masterbation, but stops almost immediatly after they started, way before the climax, is it still a mortal sin? at what point in the act is it a mortal sin?
No, it's not a mortal sin. There could be other mortal sins involved though- dwelling on impure thoughts and looking at/listening to impure material are mortal sins.

A nation that kills its own children is a nation without a future.- Pope John Paul II.
Old Nov 8, '07, 5:42 pm

Religion: catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to coleraine

ok, thanks. i admit i had impure thoughts in my head. but i did not dwell on them, they were there, but i forced them out. also, i was not viewing/listening to any impure things whatsoever. so do you think im in the clear? thanks.
Old Nov 9, '07, 9:59 am

Religion: Catholic

I would say that the moment you consent to masturbate is a mortal sin if it fits the criteria for mortal sin.

Then again, of course, masturbation is a certifiable addiction. However, only God alone knows how culpable you are. Therefore, treat it as mortal sin. Don't get into denial, but don't get scrupulous either.
Old Nov 9, '07, 10:10 am

Religion: Protestant Orthodoxy

Hmmm....

Two options really,

Option 1. Superstitious religious observances

Option 2. Medical Health Industry...

See your problem is; if you do not believe in the validity of the medical industry, you are left to a situation much like Christian Scientists, laying on of hands, anointings, and the like. Who would not take their children to a pediatrician?

On the other hand; you have the Catechism.

for a scientific perspective check out http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer...ation-prostate

Don't worry about it...you wont live any longer if you do
Old Nov 9, '07, 4:24 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_greybeard View Post
Hmmm....

Two options really,

Option 1. Superstitious religious observances

Option 2. Medical Health Industry...

See your problem is; if you do not believe in the validity of the medical industry, you are left to a situation much like Christian Scientists, laying on of hands, anointings, and the like. Who would not take their children to a pediatrician?

On the other hand; you have the Catechism.

for a scientific perspective check out http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer...ation-prostate

Don't worry about it...you wont live any longer if you do
Did you read the article that you referenced?? It said absolutely nothing evidential one way or the other. In fact, your "scientific" article had no fact and was non conclusive. So there goes your option two theory as presented by your resource.

Now your only other option is "superstitious religious observances". Funny how there are no web sites referenced in this option.

Hmmmm....................I think I'll stick with the Catechism. It may not have the validity of the medical profession but it dos have the validity of the Church that Christ founded 2000 years ago.

And that is option 3. God Bless..............teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Nov 9, '07, 5:06 pm

Religion: Protestant Orthodoxy

Well...very interesting....

Firstly I am certain we can all agree that the human body is complex. What may work for one, may not work for another.

We can all site examples of dietary fads, trends, techniques, etc...

Some work for some, not all work for everyone. As it seemed to me, an individual was having problems with a severe, or possibly soon to be severe, guilt complex. Rather than dwelling on this antiquated anachronistic perception of guilt, I merely tried to relieve some of it.

We in American society take the doctor's word at everything else in life. Take for example second hand smoke. Not one hard fact, yet numerous corralaries (sp?). We have accepted generally that one should not consume second or even first hand smoke.

We can observe exercise. Why do we do it? A whole industry has developed to support it? Why? Doctor's believe it extends life. Will it? Well again no hard facts. Corrolation does not equate to causation. But in our mind's it will suffice. What about all the lead in paints. It is bad. Doctor's don't like. We removed it from house paints...did people survive before we removed the lead from paint? Of course.

This particular health related issue is in the same vein. Certainly there are numerous supporting articles, but sure nothing concrete. Will you adopt first and second hand smoking too? Or will you stop trying to stay healthy? Or will you abandon any other habits like eating rabbit food and the like?

Again let me state. Before one has an issue with their "guilt" check what other sources say on the matter. In this case a simple google search on the related topics will yield information the concerned individual can reference.

Only you can stop guilt
Old Nov 9, '07, 7:59 pm

Mr Greybeard, This is a Catholic and faith related forum. I'm sure that there are numerous medical forums where most would greatly appreciate your articulate expressions. However, the original poster was looking for spiritual advice not empirical data that leads to open ended conclusions. God created our sexuality for the sole purpose of unitive and procreative expression within the context of marriage. Anything else is not the will of God and therefore sinful. The OP was asking for Catholic teachings on this topic and your webmd.com doesn't provide for these types of answers. God Bless and remember that without guilt there can be no accountability only a relative thought process where if it feels good, do it.............................teachccd
Old Nov 9, '07, 8:45 pm

Religion: Catholic

My concern resides in how quickly we pounce with our assuredness. It's not that I disagree that masturbation is a grave action and mortally sinful. But do we not run the risk of trivializing mortal sin when we so eagerly rush to point out the disposition of a brother's very soul? As if we can know! Can we really state with such confidence that a soul has divorced himself from the same communion with the mystical body of Christ we presume ourselves to be part of? Is salvation really that easily dissected and plumbed that with a few clicks on the keyboard we can state that just thinking about masturbation punches a mystical ticket to Hell?

IMHO, the best answer I can give to the OP for this question is, "I have no way of knowing, go to confession and ask Christ, and I will pray for you."

Sorry for the rant...this is not directed at any one individual. I simply want to bring a heightened sense of awareness that mortal sin is a horrific state for one to be in and we too easily give it lip service, and nearly always leave out Christ's mercy in our equations.

Last edited by StCsDavid; Nov 9, '07 at 8:51 pm. Reason: added on another thought
Old Nov 14, '07, 4:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by StCsDavid View Post
My concern resides in how quickly we pounce with our assuredness. It's not that I disagree that masturbation is a grave action and mortally sinful. But do we not run the risk of trivializing mortal sin when we so eagerly rush to point out the disposition of a brother's very soul? As if we can know! Can we really state with such confidence that a soul has divorced himself from the same communion with the mystical body of Christ we presume ourselves to be part of? Is salvation really that easily dissected and plumbed that with a few clicks on the keyboard we can state that just thinking about masturbation punches a mystical ticket to Hell?

IMHO, the best answer I can give to the OP for this question is, "I have no way of knowing, go to confession and ask Christ, and I will pray for you."

Sorry for the rant...this is not directed at any one individual. I simply want to bring a heightened sense of awareness that mortal sin is a horrific state for one to be in and we too easily give it lip service, and nearly always leave out Christ's mercy in our equations.

I could not agree with you more.......

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology