Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 11, '07, 8:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Daughters of St Paul Edition of Christian Prayer

I have the "Shorter Christian Prayer" book and am thinking about moving up to Christian Prayer. Looking at the two editions, it seems like the Daughters of St Paul edition would have less flipping back and forth, but he Catholic Book edition has all the Office of the Readings.

Does anyone have a preference? I'm also curious about the translation. Shorter Christian Prayer is also published by Catholic Books and it has a strange version of the Glory Be that I've never heard before ("Glory Be to the Father and Son and Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever"). That's not such a big deal, but it makes me wonder if any other prayers have been changed. Does the St. Paul edition have the same wording?
Old Nov 11, '07, 8:45 pm

Religion: Catholic of the Roman Rite
Send a message via AIM to Lazerlike42
Default Re: Daughters of St Paul Edition of Christian Prayer

I pray the CB publishing company 4 volume set, and I love it.

So far as the Glory be, I checked the Latin version and it says:

Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto.
Sicut erat in principio, et nunc et semper,
et in saecula saeculorum, Amen.

So, the "world without end," which is the way "in saecula saeculorum" is usually translated into english, seems to be present. The problem is that its really a somewhat silly translation of the Latin phrase. I happen to like the CBPC version, which you quoted.

That being said, it does seem to truncate that "Saecula saeculorum" part. However, I can tell you that the prayers are all fine, they are as they should be. This is the only oddity I know of, or at least the only thing I recognize that seems at all other than one would expect it.
Old Nov 11, '07, 11:09 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFischer View Post
I have the "Shorter Christian Prayer" book and am thinking about moving up to Christian Prayer. Looking at the two editions, it seems like the Daughters of St Paul edition would have less flipping back and forth, but he Catholic Book edition has all the Office of the Readings.
Sorry. The CBPC Christian Prayer does not have the complete Office of Readings either. Only the four-volume has that.

Quote:
Does anyone have a preference? I'm also curious about the translation. Shorter Christian Prayer is also published by Catholic Books and it has a strange version of the Glory Be that I've never heard before ("Glory Be to the Father and Son and Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever"). That's not such a big deal, but it makes me wonder if any other prayers have been changed. Does the St. Paul edition have the same wording?

The Glory to the Father as printed in Shorter Christian Prayer is the same throughout in the Daughters of St. Paul edition, the CBPC Christian Prayer, and the four-volume Liturgy of the Hours. It's also a better translation.

The main differences between the Catholic Book Publishing and Daughters of St. Paul are that the Catholic Book Publishing has only a selection of the Daytime hours, while the DSP edition is complete. Also, the CBPC edition has the rubrics in red, while the DSP is an all-black print. And finally, the CBPC edition has sheet music for the hymns at the back. The DSP edition has only a selection of hymns printed in place without notation.

Old Nov 12, '07, 12:37 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFischer View Post
I . Shorter Christian Prayer is also published by Catholic Books and it has a strange version of the Glory Be that I've never heard before ("Glory Be to the Father and Son and Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever"). That's not such a big deal, but it makes me wonder if any other prayers have been changed. Does the St. Paul edition have the same wording?
this is the revised version of the prayer. why it was revised I have no idea but this version is entirely orthodox and proper, the publishers don't make up the prayers, they publish the version given by the Church

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments