Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 12, '07, 7:21 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default scripture verse about marijuana?

One of my co-workers said there was a scripture verse he used to use to justify smoking marijuana. He forgot what is was but thought it said something like "God made all green plants for human consuption."

As we've been talking about religion lately, he asked if I knew what it was? I said I'd ask the CA forum.

Also, I was wondering if there is some commentary on this verse to show the error of his thinking. For example, poppies led to medical uses for morphine but some people are heroin junkies. But apply it to marijuana, proper use, and excess.

Thank you,

Ryan
Old Nov 12, '07, 9:59 pm

Default Re: scripture verse about marijuana?

Romans 13:1-7
Old Nov 13, '07, 5:34 am

Genesis 1 KJV

12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Old Nov 13, '07, 8:15 am
Banned

Religion: undecided

Hi Ryan, in princple any of the texts in proverbs that speak of "strong drink" or much wine would apply.
Old Nov 13, '07, 8:21 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Wisdom 1:13-14

God did not make death, nor does he rejoice in the destruction of the living. For he fashioned all things that they might have being; and the creatures of the world are wholesome, and there is not a destructive drug among them nor any domain of the nether world on earth.
Old Nov 13, '07, 5:30 pm
Forum Supporter

Thank you all. Does any one know if there is an online commentary on these verses?

Peace,

Ryan
Old Nov 14, '07, 11:29 am
Banned

Religion: protestant

My older sister said that to me once. The Genesis verse is the one I quoted to her.

Quote:
Genesis 1 KJV

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
I also mentioned that God never tells us to inhale our food and asked her not to eat the grass and other weeds she finds in my yard. (Or something to that effect.)

My comments left her standing speechless. But I knew the answer when she made the comment. That gives your response more impact.

I suggest reading Scripture daily. You'd be surprised how often God gives you the opportunity to use something you read the night before.
Old Nov 15, '07, 12:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanoneil View Post
Also, I was wondering if there is some commentary on this verse to show the error of his thinking. Ryan
Hi, Ryan!

I've visited several other Bible sites where such argument was made... sadly, these individual are not seeking to adhere to Yahweh's Teachings; rather, they believe that they have found loopholes in the Holy Scriptures and seek to circumvent God's Word.

i.e.: The Jehovah Witnesses attempt to point out that Jesus was taken to the desert to be tempted by Satan... their reasoning is that since God cannot be tempted then Jesus is not God. Here's what they missed: when Jesus had enough, He commanded Satan to leave and he scurried away! ...and they ignore the many other in-your-face revelations that Jesus is God even while claiming to be Christians.

Here's what Paul says about the world around us:

'For me everything is permissible; maybe, but not everything does good. True, for me everything is permissible, but I am determined not to be dominated by anything. (1 Corinthians 6:12)

Our bodies, the temples of God, were designed with a very distinct composition and if we alter any of the chemicals or the electric charge or the body's temperature our systems become degraded, deficient or inert. Anything that alters or corrupts our judgment or abilities places us on a direct path to failure (sin equals death: Romans 6:23). God would not create a plant for the purpose of causing us to fail! (Genesis 1:11-12--note: "God saw that it was good.")

God Bless!

Angel
Old Nov 15, '07, 12:32 pm

Religion: RCIA

If Marijuana was legal then I might understand their arguement but we are supposed to follow the laws in our country. (Someone else can post the exact verse) Currently the laws are that smoking weeds is illegal, therefore we have to abide by that law. SO, it doesn't matter if God would consider smoking marijuana a sin or not, he considers breaking just laws to be sinful. We live in a free country and people are capable of trying to change such laws if they view them as unfair.
Old Nov 15, '07, 1:35 pm

Religion: RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanoneil View Post
One of my co-workers said there was a scripture verse he used to use to justify smoking marijuana. He forgot what is was
OK - now that's funny!
Old Nov 15, '07, 3:56 pm

This is a Rastafarian belief. Is your co-worker Jamaican? (not all Rastas are but most). They believe that Psalm 104:14 (which in my Bible says "plants" but in some translations "herbs") refers to ganja, along with most other references to herbs in the OT. They believe that mj was found growing on King Solomon's grave, also.
Old Nov 15, '07, 4:59 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
This is a Rastafarian belief. Is your co-worker Jamaican? (not all Rastas are but most). They believe that Psalm 104:14 (which in my Bible says "plants" but in some translations "herbs") refers to ganja, along with most other references to herbs in the OT. They believe that mj was found growing on King Solomon's grave, also.
No. He is an average white guy. Next time I see him I'm going to share some of the above posts.

Peace,

Ryan
Old Nov 15, '07, 10:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb1 View Post
Currently the laws are that smoking weeds is illegal, therefore we have to abide by that law. SO, it doesn't matter if God would consider smoking marijuana a sin or not, he considers breaking just laws to be sinful. We live in a free country and people are capable of trying to change such laws if they view them as unfair.
Hi, deb!

...but what happens if the US as some other countries around the world decide to legalize marijuana, amongst other "illegal" drugs?

Would Catholics then subscribe to "it's legal?"

The Holy Scriptures are not specific on many things (topical renderings) to which we would prefer to find clear cut responses. But the Holy Scriptures are very specific on what Yahweh demands of His children:

16 I say then, walk in the spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the spirit: and the spirit against the flesh; for these are contrary one to another: so that you do not the things that you would. 18 But if you are led by the spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury, 20 Idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects,

21 Envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5:16-21)

When we are under the influence of drugs (which includes alcohol and marijuana) we are more open to act against God's commands and revel in acts of luxury, (archaic for lust), drunkenness, fornication, immodesty, etc. It is precisely this loss of control which God seeks to spare us from suffering. The state (government) may determine that drugs are legal or illegal, but only God determines if our actions are sinful or just!

God Bless!

Angel
Old Jan 7, '12, 8:18 pm
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb1 View Post
If Marijuana was legal then I might understand their arguement but we are supposed to follow the laws in our country. (Someone else can post the exact verse) Currently the laws are that smoking weeds is illegal, therefore we have to abide by that law. SO, it doesn't matter if God would consider smoking marijuana a sin or not, he considers breaking just laws to be sinful. We live in a free country and people are capable of trying to change such laws if they view them as unfair.
"Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed which is upon the face of all the earth.…To you it will be for meat." … And God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Genesis 1:29-31)

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times, some shall … speak lies in hypocrisy … commanding to abstain from meats which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. (Paul: 1 Timothy 4:1-3)
Old Jan 7, '12, 8:51 pm

Just because God created herbs and plants for us to eat does not mean that every herb and plant is to be eaten. Would your friend eat poison ivy or any other of the poisonous herbs and plants? I don't know that smoking pot is a sin but I can't see something that alters your mind as something that would bring you closer to God. And this is coming from someone who has, in a past life, smoked but didn't inhale .
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture