Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 12, '07, 8:21 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: 1998 Catholic Convert
Question Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

What's the deal? I signed up for the Knights (I know a lot of them in my parish) and went through this "SECRET" ceremony, which I found parts to be offensive (most of which when they stopped the ceremony to make an insurance sales pitch), and now Iíve got some Knight calling me to talk to me about my family planning and insurance.

I have heard so many good things the Knights do, but I wonder if its only about making the sale?
Old Nov 12, '07, 9:35 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

I don't know what you may have found offensive about the ceremonial. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you, but I would suggest that a private message would be preferable to the public forum.

As for the insurance program, while it is one of the benefits of membership, it is not mandatory. You are perfectly free to decline.

Yours in Christ,
Sir Knight "Leopard" (not my real name, of course), Past Grand Knight.
Old Nov 12, '07, 9:40 pm
Forum Elder

See Knights of Columbus

One of Father McGivney's primary purposes in forming the Knights was to provide for widows and orphans of Catholic working men. As a result the Knights have become a major, highly-rated, insurance company.
Old Nov 13, '07, 5:33 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS

Yes, you will get a hard sell for insurance when you join the Knights. And even if you take a level of insurance every year you will get a call to "re-evaluate your coverage" but it is all optional. You can just say, I'm not interested.

As been said before, the Knights was founded when it was hard for working Catholics to get life insurance, so it was one of the major benefits. Even now it is a pretty good insurance policy that you can keep with you whereever you go, unlike most job related policies and no I'm not trying to sell you on it. I am real good at ignoring my yearly call from the council insurance agent.
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
Old Nov 16, '10, 10:00 pm
Trial Membership

Most people in the US love to buy things, however most also have an aversion to being 'sold'.
With that and some of the sentiments in this thread in mind however, I am reminded of a pertinent question that I often ask of field agents :
Question: " What do you plan to say to the widow of the member whom you did not contact today?"
Answer: "What can you say?"

Respectfully-
Old Nov 17, '10, 5:58 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
See Knights of Columbus

One of Father McGivney's primary purposes in forming the Knights was to provide for widows and orphans of Catholic working men.
I am glad you mentioned it. The knights were historically an insurance company. This is because one of the primary duties of a man is to provide for his family. I know that there are some exceptions to the need for insurance, but for most of us, providing insurance is a duty that should be taken seriously.

The one thing that KC insurance brings a person that he can not get elsewhere is a company that bases its rates on zero profit margin, so they pretty much beat any other price.
Old Nov 17, '10, 2:58 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgray View Post
What's the deal? I signed up for the Knights (I know a lot of them in my parish) and went through this "SECRET" ceremony, which I found parts to be offensive (most of which when they stopped the ceremony to make an insurance sales pitch), and now Iíve got some Knight calling me to talk to me about my family planning and insurance.

I have heard so many good things the Knights do, but I wonder if its only about making the sale?
Do you HAVE life insurance? Do you have a family?
If you have a family, you NEED life insurance. It is that simple.

I have 3 sons, 1 in college and 2 in high school. I work 2 jobs. I am in my 40s.

My DH died 6 months ago.

Because he had life insurance, I do not have to sell my house (the only house my kids have known).
Because he had life insurance, I do not have to move.
Because he had life insurance, I could pay some bills off that we'd had for years.
Because he had life insurance, my sons can continue in their private Catholic high school.
Because he had life insurance, I could pay off the cars.
Because he had life insurance, I can take my sons on a nice vacation together this summer.
Because he had life insurance, I do not have to visit the food shelves.
Because he had life insurance, I will be able to cut back on my work hours at my second job (although they are not letting me yet, cuz they like my work quality and I am very efficient).
Because he had life insurance, I have freedom in some of my financial choices.

Life insurance is pretty darn important.
Old Nov 17, '10, 3:17 pm
Banned

Religion: Anglican Church in North America

Quote:
What's the deal?....
The insurance typically gets top ratings from from Best and Standard & Poor, so you might want to rethink this petty defamation of calling it an insurance "scam".
Old Nov 17, '10, 6:15 pm

Religion: Roman-Catholic

If you ARE a Knight, the cermonials and meetings should have explained to you the importance of the insurance programs.

And this is just my opinion, but it sounds alot like you're just trolling.
Old Mar 1, '11, 4:38 am
Trial Membership

Here's my insurance story:

I was inspired by the life of Father McG joined the Knights so I could buy life insurance to protect my family. Funny thing, my bills always came late. I never thought much about this and just paid them - late- for years. Then I was diagnosed with a serious, but not immediately life threatening disease. Turns out, there is a system for scoring your health much like having a credit score. Once the KoC Insurance got wind of my "health score," they dropped me because my payment was late. Didn't matter that they always sent my bills late, or that I had a pattern of paying, they dropped me, then allowed me to re-enroll - at 6 TIMES THE COST! What could I do, I have a family. I doubt Father McG would be proud of this - so much for Brotherhood! (I look forward to the day when my kids are on their own so I will no longer need life insurance.)
Old Mar 1, '11, 5:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG313 View Post
(I look forward to the day when my kids are on their own so I will no longer need life insurance.)
Do you have a wife? An estate? Planning on a funeral? Have a burial plot? Want a casket?

Have enough life insurance to at least cover your "death expenses". Dying is not cheap.
Old Mar 2, '11, 4:50 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:

The bolded, underlined section tells me you were never at a Knight ceremony.
Old Mar 2, '11, 1:00 pm

Religion: Roman-Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaServant View Post
The bolded, underlined section tells me you were never at a Knight ceremony.
yeah. thats a dead give away. the only time the word INSURANCE was even mentioned was when the field agent introduced himself. "hi, im field agent buy insurance."

other than that, its never mentioned.
Old Mar 2, '11, 1:12 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Um folks - the OP is four years old. Not the person, the post.

~Liza
Old Oct 16, '11, 4:11 am
Banned

Religion: Tridentine Mass Roman Catholic

Hello DHGray,

I don't know what to tell you; I am a Third Degree Knight and I do not recall ever being hit with any insurance pitches during any of the Degree ceremonies/initiations. If it bothers you; you should pen a letter to the Supreme Council, (if discussing your objections with your local chapter does not get you anywhere).

BTW, I do have a life insurance policy through the Knights- but my agent called me at home. Maybe they've changed things since the mid '80s.

Oremus pro invicem,

Sean C.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence