Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Nov 12, '07, 8:21 pm
dhgray dhgray is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: July 26, 2004
Posts: 3,891
Religion: 1998 Catholic Convert
Question Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

What's the deal? I signed up for the Knights (I know a lot of them in my parish) and went through this "SECRET" ceremony, which I found parts to be offensive (most of which when they stopped the ceremony to make an insurance sales pitch), and now Iíve got some Knight calling me to talk to me about my family planning and insurance.

I have heard so many good things the Knights do, but I wonder if its only about making the sale?
  #2  
Old Nov 12, '07, 9:35 pm
Leopard Leopard is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 13, 2007
Posts: 1,866
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

I don't know what you may have found offensive about the ceremonial. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you, but I would suggest that a private message would be preferable to the public forum.

As for the insurance program, while it is one of the benefits of membership, it is not mandatory. You are perfectly free to decline.

Yours in Christ,
Sir Knight "Leopard" (not my real name, of course), Past Grand Knight.
  #3  
Old Nov 12, '07, 9:40 pm
Joe Kelley Joe Kelley is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 24, 2004
Posts: 15,922
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

See Knights of Columbus

One of Father McGivney's primary purposes in forming the Knights was to provide for widows and orphans of Catholic working men. As a result the Knights have become a major, highly-rated, insurance company.
__________________
I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse; therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live,
  #4  
Old Nov 13, '07, 5:33 am
Marauder's Avatar
Marauder Marauder is offline
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: July 7, 2004
Posts: 1,801
Religion: Catholic, OFS
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Yes, you will get a hard sell for insurance when you join the Knights. And even if you take a level of insurance every year you will get a call to "re-evaluate your coverage" but it is all optional. You can just say, I'm not interested.

As been said before, the Knights was founded when it was hard for working Catholics to get life insurance, so it was one of the major benefits. Even now it is a pretty good insurance policy that you can keep with you whereever you go, unlike most job related policies and no I'm not trying to sell you on it. I am real good at ignoring my yearly call from the council insurance agent.
__________________
Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
  #5  
Old Nov 16, '10, 10:00 pm
roth4kofc roth4kofc is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: November 16, 2010
Posts: 1
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Most people in the US love to buy things, however most also have an aversion to being 'sold'.
With that and some of the sentiments in this thread in mind however, I am reminded of a pertinent question that I often ask of field agents :
Question: " What do you plan to say to the widow of the member whom you did not contact today?"
Answer: "What can you say?"

Respectfully-
  #6  
Old Nov 17, '10, 5:58 am
pnewton's Avatar
pnewton pnewton is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 1, 2004
Posts: 26,690
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
See Knights of Columbus

One of Father McGivney's primary purposes in forming the Knights was to provide for widows and orphans of Catholic working men.
I am glad you mentioned it. The knights were historically an insurance company. This is because one of the primary duties of a man is to provide for his family. I know that there are some exceptions to the need for insurance, but for most of us, providing insurance is a duty that should be taken seriously.

The one thing that KC insurance brings a person that he can not get elsewhere is a company that bases its rates on zero profit margin, so they pretty much beat any other price.
__________________
Nooo!! I didn't mean it!
  #7  
Old Nov 17, '10, 2:58 pm
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgray View Post
What's the deal? I signed up for the Knights (I know a lot of them in my parish) and went through this "SECRET" ceremony, which I found parts to be offensive (most of which when they stopped the ceremony to make an insurance sales pitch), and now Iíve got some Knight calling me to talk to me about my family planning and insurance.

I have heard so many good things the Knights do, but I wonder if its only about making the sale?
Do you HAVE life insurance? Do you have a family?
If you have a family, you NEED life insurance. It is that simple.

I have 3 sons, 1 in college and 2 in high school. I work 2 jobs. I am in my 40s.

My DH died 6 months ago.

Because he had life insurance, I do not have to sell my house (the only house my kids have known).
Because he had life insurance, I do not have to move.
Because he had life insurance, I could pay some bills off that we'd had for years.
Because he had life insurance, my sons can continue in their private Catholic high school.
Because he had life insurance, I could pay off the cars.
Because he had life insurance, I can take my sons on a nice vacation together this summer.
Because he had life insurance, I do not have to visit the food shelves.
Because he had life insurance, I will be able to cut back on my work hours at my second job (although they are not letting me yet, cuz they like my work quality and I am very efficient).
Because he had life insurance, I have freedom in some of my financial choices.

Life insurance is pretty darn important.
  #8  
Old Nov 17, '10, 3:17 pm
Reservoir Dog Reservoir Dog is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 1,179
Religion: Anglican Church in North America
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgray View Post
What's the deal?....
The insurance typically gets top ratings from from Best and Standard & Poor, so you might want to rethink this petty defamation of calling it an insurance "scam".
  #9  
Old Nov 17, '10, 6:15 pm
BornAgain2010's Avatar
BornAgain2010 BornAgain2010 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 16, 2010
Posts: 1,178
Religion: Roman-Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

If you ARE a Knight, the cermonials and meetings should have explained to you the importance of the insurance programs.


And this is just my opinion, but it sounds alot like you're just trolling.
  #10  
Old Mar 1, '11, 4:38 am
BG313 BG313 is offline
Trial Membership
 
Join Date: March 1, 2011
Posts: 1
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Here's my insurance story:

I was inspired by the life of Father McG joined the Knights so I could buy life insurance to protect my family. Funny thing, my bills always came late. I never thought much about this and just paid them - late- for years. Then I was diagnosed with a serious, but not immediately life threatening disease. Turns out, there is a system for scoring your health much like having a credit score. Once the KoC Insurance got wind of my "health score," they dropped me because my payment was late. Didn't matter that they always sent my bills late, or that I had a pattern of paying, they dropped me, then allowed me to re-enroll - at 6 TIMES THE COST! What could I do, I have a family. I doubt Father McG would be proud of this - so much for Brotherhood! (I look forward to the day when my kids are on their own so I will no longer need life insurance.)
  #11  
Old Mar 1, '11, 5:14 pm
Catholic90 Catholic90 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 12, 2004
Posts: 16,671
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG313 View Post
(I look forward to the day when my kids are on their own so I will no longer need life insurance.)
Do you have a wife? An estate? Planning on a funeral? Have a burial plot? Want a casket?

Have enough life insurance to at least cover your "death expenses". Dying is not cheap.
  #12  
Old Mar 2, '11, 4:50 am
JustaServant's Avatar
JustaServant JustaServant is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 27, 2007
Posts: 6,550
Religion: Catholic (revert)
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgray View Post
What's the deal? I signed up for the Knights (I know a lot of them in my parish) and went through this "SECRET" ceremony, which I found parts to be offensive (most of which when they stopped the ceremony to make an insurance sales pitch), and now Iíve got some Knight calling me to talk to me about my family planning and insurance.

I have heard so many good things the Knights do, but I wonder if its only about making the sale?
The bolded, underlined section tells me you were never at a Knight ceremony.
  #13  
Old Mar 2, '11, 1:00 pm
BornAgain2010's Avatar
BornAgain2010 BornAgain2010 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 16, 2010
Posts: 1,178
Religion: Roman-Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaServant View Post
The bolded, underlined section tells me you were never at a Knight ceremony.
yeah. thats a dead give away. the only time the word INSURANCE was even mentioned was when the field agent introduced himself. "hi, im field agent buy insurance."

other than that, its never mentioned.
  #14  
Old Mar 2, '11, 1:12 pm
lizaanne's Avatar
lizaanne lizaanne is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: February 4, 2005
Posts: 9,750
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Um folks - the OP is four years old. Not the person, the post.

~Liza
  #15  
Old Oct 16, '11, 4:11 am
daCatholicGuard daCatholicGuard is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 23, 2011
Posts: 155
Religion: Tridentine Mass Roman Catholic
Default Re: Knights of Columbus or Insurance Scam?

Hello DHGray,

I don't know what to tell you; I am a Third Degree Knight and I do not recall ever being hit with any insurance pitches during any of the Degree ceremonies/initiations. If it bothers you; you should pen a letter to the Supreme Council, (if discussing your objections with your local chapter does not get you anywhere).

BTW, I do have a life insurance policy through the Knights- but my agent called me at home. Maybe they've changed things since the mid '80s.

Oremus pro invicem,

Sean C.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Bookmarks

Tags
knights of columbus

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knights of Columbus outfctrl Evangelization 92 Sep 6, '14 6:18 pm
Knights vs Samurai Hospitaller Back Fence 150 Aug 28, '07 4:49 pm
Knights of Columbus mikew262 Back Fence 17 Jan 8, '07 1:52 pm
Knights of Columbus Section dumspirospero Suggestion Box 10 Dec 19, '06 10:06 am



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8479Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Weejee
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3864SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3762Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3332Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3288Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3116For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 8:06 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.