Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 13, '07, 11:27 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default IUD Abortive?

I recently discovered that my younger sister, wife and mother of two, is using the IUD method of birth control. She has been convinced by her Doctor a member of her Church who she knows to be a faithful Christian and against abortion that the IUD is not abortive.

Is there anything from professional doctors which shows in detail how this form of ABC is abortive? I need some cold hard facts please.

As she has a personal relationship with her Christian Doctor, it will be hard to over come the trust she has in him.

Please help! Thanks!
Old Nov 13, '07, 11:33 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: IUD Abortive?

It could be. Just like the pill, it probably works most of the time by preventing fertilization, but not always. But I think just the fact that it could be abortifacent should preclude its use by someone who is pro-life. There should be articles on medline that talk about it. These links might get you started.

http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/Networ...-1IUDsperm.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrauterine_device
Old Nov 13, '07, 11:36 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

Life is formed at conception, the egg is fertilized and POW a new person! This person travels to the uterus where she is implanted and begins to grow. When the child cannot implant because of the IUD, the child dies.

From http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-contr...-birth-control

How it works
Both types of IUD prevent fertilization of the egg by damaging or killing sperm. The IUD also affects the uterine lining (where a fertilized egg would implant and grow).
  • LNg IUD. This IUD prevents fertilization by damaging or killing sperm and making the mucus in the cervix thick and sticky, so sperm can't get through to the uterus. It also keeps the lining of the uterus (endometrium) from growing very thick.1 This makes the lining a poor place for a fertilized egg to implant and grow. The hormones in the LNg IUD also relieve irregular menstrual bleeding and cramping.
  • Copper IUD. Copper is toxic to sperm. It makes the uterus and fallopian tubes produce fluid that kills sperm. This fluid contains white blood cells, copper ions, enzymes, and prostaglandins.1
Old Nov 13, '07, 11:43 am

It's definitely abortive.
Here's a link to a website on a popular IUD brand...
http://www.mirena-us.com/physician/index.jsp

Click on "Product Information" to download a PDF file with information on the IUD.
On page 9 you'll read the following:
Quote:
How does MIRENA work?
There is no single explanation of how MIRENAworks. It may stop release of your egg from your ovary, but this is not the way it works in most cases. It may block sperm from reaching or fertilizing your egg. It may make the lining of your uterus thin. We do not know which of these actions is most important for preventing pregnancy and most likely all of them work together.
(when the lining of the uterus is thinned a newly conceived embryo will not be able to implant into the wall of the uterus... and it is then released from the body... aborted.)

HTH...

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Nov 13, '07, 11:50 am

I just gave a talk to a group of seminarians on ABC and the IUD is a potential abortifacient based on the most current research (and I did a review of the medical literature). We do not have definitive or conclusive evidence, but there are documented changes in the endometrium with IUD use. As Tweetybird said "the fact that it could be abortifacent should preclude its use by someone who is pro-life". Does she have Mirena (which contains progestin) or Paragard (non-hormonal)?

Paragard prescribing information lists prevention of implantation under Clinical Pharmacology.

From Mirena website:
Make the lining of your uterus thin (this may also result in benefits like less menstrual bleeding over time)

Last edited by Lady D I; Nov 13, '07 at 12:08 pm.
Old Nov 13, '07, 11:56 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Default Re: Proof IUD Abortive need! Please!

Check your other thread over in the Family Life area - you have answers
Old Nov 13, '07, 12:12 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady D I View Post
I just gave a talk to a group of seminarians on ABC and the IUD is a potential abortifacient based on the most current research (and I did a review of the medical literature). We do not have definitive or conclusive evidence, but there are documented changes in the endometrium with IUD use. As Tweetybird said "the fact that it could be abortifacent should preclude its use by someone who is pro-life". My sister has a highly respected pro-life member of her Church who is also her Doctor, a medical professional, telling her it is not an abortive form of birth control. She has every reason to believe and trust him. Albeit, misplaced. Does she have Mirena (which contains progestin) or Paragard (non-hormonal)? Honestly, I don't know.

Paragard prescribing information lists prevention of implantation under Clinical Pharmacology.

From Mirena website:
Make the lining of your uterus thin (this may also result in benefits like less menstrual bleeding over time)
Old Nov 13, '07, 12:22 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Suggest she go on line and look up the IUD she has in mind, the web site will have the information on "how it works", it will tell her in black and white that the IUD prevents implantation of a fertilized egg.

Ask your sister when life begins, if she answers "at concpetion" - then, she has her answer.

There are doctors, and others, who call themselves pro-life who deny life begins at conception. I'd suggest she ask her doctor when he feels life begins.
Old Nov 13, '07, 12:25 pm

Quote:
As Tweetybird said "the fact that it could be abortifacent should preclude its use by someone who is pro-life". My sister has a highly respected pro-life member of her Church who is also her Doctor, a medical professional, telling her it is not an abortive form of birth control. She has every reason to believe and trust him. Albeit, misplaced.
I understand your sister's situation. Unfortunately, some medical professionals fail to see the significance of this potential because there is no direct evidence or they use the medical definition of pregnancy. There is a local doc who is pro-life and won't prescribe EC but prescribes the pill and IUD/IUS. The links I gave are from the company sites. Are you looking for something else?
Old Nov 13, '07, 12:31 pm
Forum Elder

I'd suggest literature from www.omsoul.com they have several on how various contraception methods work, in detail.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 13, '07, 1:02 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady D I View Post
The links I gave are from the company sites. Are you looking for something else?
I've looked at both links. Perhaps it's my eyes...been having trouble with one of my contacts this morning...but I've not been able to see where it states that one of the ways it works is by expelling a "child" or an "embryo" or whatever they are calling "it" after conception.

What am I missing?
Old Nov 13, '07, 1:05 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina14 View Post
I've looked at both links. Perhaps it's my eyes...been having trouble with one of my contacts this morning...but I've not been able to see where it states that one of the ways it works is by expelling a "child" or an "embryo" or whatever they are calling "it" after conception.

What am I missing?
The term to look for will deal with prevention of implantation.

If the baby cannot implant, it dies.
Old Nov 13, '07, 1:19 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
I'd suggest literature from www.omsoul.com they have several on how various contraception methods work, in detail.
Thank you. I've looked at this website, but it appears it is Catholic - a picture of a man praying a Rosary - this will immediately discredit, in her mind, any information which is on this site that may be helpful in this situation. She is a Protestant Christian and has been ingrained/indoctrinated to dismiss anything which looks remotely Catholic.

I'm just looking for something I can use to help show her that her understanding of the IUD is wrong. This will be difficult because her trusted Christian Doctor says it is not abortive. I just need, I don't know, a Medical Journal or something which shows that what she's been told by her doctor is wrong.
Old Nov 13, '07, 1:26 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage_ar View Post
The term to look for will deal with prevention of implantation.

If the baby cannot implant, it dies.
Okay, but I'm not finding that phrase either.

I believe what you are saying on this because I've heard it before in Pro-Life circles.

I just need evidence to prove it to my sister. She's not going to believe my word for it over her doctor.

I'm not trying to be contrary. I just need something to back up our beliefs. Proof has to be someone because I'm quite sure that our beliefs are not unfounded.
Old Nov 13, '07, 1:26 pm

Do you think the prescribing information would be enough?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life