Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 16, '07, 2:01 pm

Default Re: Catholic stance on Dinosaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottle of Geer View Post
## There's no comparison:
1. Science is not only competent to pronounce on dinosaurs - certain branches of it (such as palaeontology) would be remiss not to do so
2. Science has no competence in matters of Eucharistic theology, because the Eucharistic conversion is not a scientific phenomenon; it is a metaphysical one

Which is why the analogy fails.

Bad science is bad theology - it gives a false account of the work of God in creation. The Church has eveything to fear from the kind of theology that distorts the sciences in the interests of faith, & nothing to fear from unrestricted, free & honest scientific enquiry. A faith that requires lies & deceit & fictions & bad exegesis of the Holy Bible is a faith with rotten foundations; it's not faith at all, but a form of unbelief. For real faith is not afraid of scientific, or any other, research - it cannot tolerate falsehoods, but needs truth, from whatever quarter, because it trusts God to be true to Himself.

Unlike Fundamentalism.
An excellent point. Science and theology are each competent in their own realm. Each can have implications for the other, but each has its role. As then-Cardinal Ratzinger said in his work "Communion and Stewardship: Human Persons Created in the Image of God" which was subtitled "The July 2004 Vatican Statement on Creation and Evolution":

Quote:
The nub of this currently lively disagreement involves scientific observation and generalization concerning whether the available data support inferences of design or chance, and cannot be settled by theology.
Old Nov 16, '07, 2:18 pm

Religion: Episcopalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegaard View Post
I am not sure how serious you are, but I can imagine a scene where Catholic men, women, and children, who stubbornly hold onto what the Church has always said (like Augustine for example), and who believe the Bible says what it plainly means, streaming into a "pyschological re-education" center.

Maybe next, those who insist that the bread turns into the body of Christ (even after science clearly demonstrates otherwise) should also go to this "re-education" center.
well what do you call it when people insist on not believing in things that have been proven beyond any reasonable point? There is Zero evidence of YEC, there is ample evidence of dinosaurs and they were long extinct before any human type ever walked the earth.

Why do you people insist of beating up on ECF for things they could not possibly have been aware of?

When you cling to this literalness you categorize yourself with a few fundamentalist sects against the broad array of most Christian denominations and most all the rest of the world. They arent' belieiving in this stuff just to tee you off you know. They believe it because its obviously proven true. You have yet to prove your theory.

http://afeatheradrift.wordpress.com

And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a word behind you saying, "This is the way; walk in it." (Isa. 30:21)
Old Nov 16, '07, 2:30 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

I agree with the poster about the reeducation center idea. Totalitatarian regimes do this all the time. Pol Pot, for example, simply declared it the year zero and went on to kill people who he disagreed with.

The word dinosaur is very recent, and corresponds to accounts of large reptilian animals called dragons. The recently discovered Nile Mosaic of Palestrina depicts what we today would regard as a dinosaur.

http://www.s8int.com/dinolit2.html

For those who are curious, this illustration was found in a secular, non-creationist book.

God bless,
Ed
Old Nov 16, '07, 2:46 pm

All I can say is that Barney is obviously a moral relativist who advocates a permissive society,and he ought to be shunned by Catholics.
Old Nov 16, '07, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
I agree with the poster about the reeducation center idea. Totalitatarian regimes do this all the time. Pol Pot, for example, simply declared it the year zero and went on to kill people who he disagreed with.

The word dinosaur is very recent, and corresponds to accounts of large reptilian animals called dragons. The recently discovered Nile Mosaic of Palestrina depicts what we today would regard as a dinosaur.

http://www.s8int.com/dinolit2.html

For those who are curious, this illustration was found in a secular, non-creationist book.

God bless,
Ed

Great point, Ed. Here is a drawing of fairy made just last year in Canada. There must be fairies in Canada!

http://www.canadiandragon.com/galler...ings/fairy.jpg

Seriously, that drawing could be anything from a bad drawing of a crocodile, to a drawing made from bad description, to a fantasy or tale of some kind. It could even be a dinosaur-looking species that we don't know about. But no matter which of those it may be, it says nothing about dinosaurs.
Old Nov 16, '07, 3:53 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
I doubt you've researched this question, hence your desire to question people's sanity. Research has shown depictions of dinosaurs contemporary with modern humans. But your mind is made up on the issue already.

God bless,
Ed
I have.

And I haven't found anything Catholic related.
Old Nov 16, '07, 4:01 pm

Send a message via AIM to Ne_OrangeKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony022071 View Post
[Barney] ought to be shunned by Catholics.
Now this is something that I can get behind!

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight
Old Nov 16, '07, 4:04 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

I just found out yesterday that dinosaur bones are dated using the geologic column and not carbon dating due to carbon dating being only accurate for upto 10,000 years strictly with a max of upto 50,000.

So dinosaurs are aged according to how deep they are found in the geologic column?

So if we take into account Noah's Ark, and the heck of a flood God sent, it could have easily disrupted the Earth sending the earth into all sorts of disrupted layers. Some dinosaurs could have been buried deep below and some above.

Me finding out that no carbon dating is done, leads me to believe they are just speculating.
Old Nov 16, '07, 4:06 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Great point, Ed. Here is a drawing of fairy made just last year in Canada. There must be fairies in Canada!

http://www.canadiandragon.com/galler...ings/fairy.jpg

Seriously, that drawing could be anything from a bad drawing of a crocodile, to a drawing made from bad description, to a fantasy or tale of some kind. It could even be a dinosaur-looking species that we don't know about. But no matter which of those it may be, it says nothing about dinosaurs.

Actually, there are 1000's of other ancient sites which have similar type drawings of dinosaurs.
Old Nov 16, '07, 4:08 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishAm View Post
We stand as far away from them as possible.
LOL
Old Nov 16, '07, 4:14 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
What do you mean "depictions"? Can you give examples?
Go to Blockbuster and check out a copy of "Godzilla."
Old Nov 16, '07, 4:21 pm
Forum Elder

I don't think the Catholic Church has a "position" on dinosaurs.

But I do. I'm glad they're gone.
Old Nov 16, '07, 4:30 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony1988 View Post
So if we take into account Noah's Ark, and the heck of a flood God sent, it could have easily disrupted the Earth sending the earth into all sorts of disrupted layers. Some dinosaurs could have been buried deep below and some above.
First of all, the Flood cannot account for extinct species -- God, Himself took steps to save all species when he directed Noah to build the ark and take them in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony1988 View Post
Me finding out that no carbon dating is done, leads me to believe they are just speculating.
That's like rejecting DNA identifications because they don't use fingerprints.
Old Nov 17, '07, 4:51 am

Quote:
What do you mean "depictions"? Can you give examples?
Here is one:

As you can see, the depiction not only proves that dinosaurs were contemporary with humans, but also with vehicular transportation and the postal system.
Old Nov 17, '07, 9:52 am

Religion: Episcopalian

Well it seems its the fundie Catholics and the fundie proddies against the world. The harm done the Church is incalculable. I cannot imagine wanting to be in such company. The very fact that a fundie would claim this illogical and ridculous assertion that man stood alongside dinosaurs aught to make any sane Catholic cringe and run the other way.

I will never understand such stubborn assertion of fiction. oh Ye of little faith who must twist and torture the facts to achieve some dreamed of world that you can feel comfortable in.

http://afeatheradrift.wordpress.com

And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a word behind you saying, "This is the way; walk in it." (Isa. 30:21)
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture