Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 19, '07, 9:33 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Spiritual Director?

I'm 17 years old, and I've been considering the religious life for quite some time. I was speaking to the vocations director of the order I'm interested in about going on their vocation retreat, as we were talking she asked if I had any spiritual direction. When I answered no, she seemed disappointed.
I also seen much of the advice given to those considering religious life to get themselces a spiritual director.

The reason I hadn't gone to my parish priest, is because he is very un-personal, and he's also Indian, which makes it hard to understand him, and hard to make myself understood.
I have no problem going to our other priest, it's just that I hadn't thought of it before.

Anyways, so my question is: how do I go about getting a spiritual director? I'm painfully shy, so it's not easy for my to just approach a priest or someone without knowing exactly what I need from him. So what do I need from him?

This must sound so silly, I apologize, but I'm really conflicted, I've e-mailed the voactions director a week ago about this and haven't recieved a reply, so I'm asking the friendly internet strangers.
Old Nov 19, '07, 9:37 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic ... very, VERY Roman Catholic
Default Re: Spiritual Director?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalynne View Post
I have no problem going to our other priest, it's just that I hadn't thought of it before.
Therein lies the answer to your question, my dear friend.
Old Nov 19, '07, 9:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mary View Post
Therein lies the answer to your question, my dear friend.
You must not have read the rest of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalynne
Anyways, so my question is: how do I go about getting a spiritual director? I'm painfully shy, so it's not easy for my to just approach a priest or someone without knowing exactly what I need from him. So what do I need from him?
Old Nov 20, '07, 1:42 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: ABC

You could perhaps ring up an Order of religious brothers and priests and ask them if they do spiritual direction. If they perchance dont, then I am sure they can direct you to a place which may be able to help. The other alternative is to ring your diocesan offices and ask how you would go about finding a spiritual director.

May God be with you and keep you..................Barb
Old Nov 20, '07, 7:44 am

Pray for God to send you the spiritual director HE wants you to have, but I would also ask your vocations director if they would have any suggestiosn, just make sure they are a good orthodox Priest. God Bless you.
Old Nov 22, '07, 6:28 pm
Prayer Warrior

Hello Madalynne,
Spiritual direction may sound like a big word, but is a helpful thing for people who are serious in the spiritual journey, like you are.

A spiritual director or spiritual companion -there are different names- is a person with whom you can share the most personal things than happen in your life. In a way is like a very close friend, with the difference that there is reciprocity with a friend (the friend also tells you their things) where there is not such with a spiritual director.

A spiritual director is a person who will listen to whatever is happening in your life and you want to talk about -whether is bothering you, is important to you, is something that atracts or repels you, your desires, hopes, your prayer life -or not- etc.
The listening is not one of curiosity but one of "reading in between lines", together with you, where and how is God present and acting and leading you in your life. It is not the spiritual director who "directs" you and your life, but s/he helps you find out what God is already inviting and moving you towards.

This means that you need to find a person you can trust, and a person you can share with, that you feel comfortable with.

Quote:
The reason I hadn't gone to my parish priest, is because he is very un-personal, and he's also Indian, which makes it hard to understand him, and hard to make myself understood.
This is very fine. You don't have to go to your parish priest for spiritual direction. The freedom to chose the spiritual director is so important that even the Council documents -Vatican II- reminds everyone of that. You are always free to choose the person, to try how it works, and to end the relationship if you don't feel you "connect" or whatever. That freedom is sacred. But also is important to be honest and once you find and try the person to stick with s/he whether in ups or downs.

Quote:
There are many women and men spiritual directors. f you are thinkning of a vocation to religious life, you might look for a religious priest-brother/sister to help you in the discerment.

Of course the most important thing to do to find a spiritual director is to pray for that, and to be open and "alert" as to who do you know or you could know or shows up in your way.

I'll be praying for you and with you. And don't be afraid but rejoice!!! Jesus is with you in this, and you also have a Guardian Angel .

Hope this is of some help. Peace be with you!
"I am with you always" (Matthew 28:20)
Old Nov 25, '07, 3:21 pm

Send a message via AIM to Rebelecka

How about going to confession at different parishes? If you find a confessor who you feel comfortable with, after a few times (I know the first time with a new confessor can be intimidating) you might ask if you could make an appointment with him for spiritual direction.

Next, I would say, if you don't feel comfortable with a person, don't use them as a director. I,myself, have a hard time talking about my spiritual life with people. Also, if you're not really sure what direction is all about, be sure to tell the person that you need some help that way too.
Old Nov 25, '07, 6:05 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelecka View Post
How about going to confession at different parishes? If you find a confessor who you feel comfortable with, after a few times (I know the first time with a new confessor can be intimidating) you might ask if you could make an appointment with him for spiritual direction.

Next, I would say, if you don't feel comfortable with a person, don't use them as a director. I,myself, have a hard time talking about my spiritual life with people. Also, if you're not really sure what direction is all about, be sure to tell the person that you need some help that way too.
Good directors will take on a new directee on a trial basis. If after a few sessions it doesn't seem to be a good fit then either the director or directee should be free to say so. One good idea is to go on a directed silent retreat, one where you meet with a director as opposed to one that has conferences. In this case you are not committed to a director but also, if you tell them it is your first time in direction, they will explain the process to you. But since the OP is only 17 this might not work for her.
Old Nov 25, '07, 6:40 pm

I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a spiritual director, but he is not very in tune with my spiritual needs. I feel called to join the Priestly Fraternity of the Saint Peter, but my Spiritual Director, despite being a good man, was ordained around 1968, and is sometimes a little contrary about Tradition and absolute obedience to the magiesterium, the two great charisms of the FSSP.

Finding a mentor is tough, all right.
Old Dec 5, '07, 4:44 pm

keep looking, keep praying. keep going to your current SD. bring it up and talk to him about it openly. they won't take offense. keep praying about it, it'll come to you.

"Pray the Rosary everyday." -Our Lady of Fatima

"Make frequent visits to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and the devil will be powerless against you." -St. John Bosco
Old Nov 14, '08, 1:44 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

1. Read St. Faustina's Diary! It's an amazing treasure left for us!. (Also, there is a part where she speaks in detail about spiritual direction- it's eye opening!)
2. Pray ardently about it. Make a heartfelt novena! God wants you to come to HIM about this- He will guide you!
Old Nov 14, '08, 1:48 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalynne View Post
You must not have read the rest of my post.
Approach him as you have approached us. Tell him what you told us. He will know what "spiritual direction" is for a young person discerning religious life.

Pray that the Lord will send you the spiritual director you need. And keep in mind that if your vocation is really from God, He will give you the guts to make this contact.
Old Nov 14, '08, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariah1225 View Post
1. Read St. Faustina's Diary! It's an amazing treasure left for us!. (Also, there is a part where she speaks in detail about spiritual direction- it's eye opening!)
can you tell me exactly where it is?

"Pray the Rosary everyday." -Our Lady of Fatima

"Make frequent visits to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and the devil will be powerless against you." -St. John Bosco
Old Mar 11, '09, 3:39 pm

Default Re: Spiritual Director? - Spiritual Direction

Check out "Spiritual Direction" under the topics here - Good stuff...

http://www.rcspiritualdirection.blogspot.com/
Old May 14, '11, 2:07 pm

as an update - the new URL is

www.RCSpiritualDirection.com

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations