Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 22, '07, 11:51 am
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75
Default I just finished reading 101 Q & A about Eastern Catholic Churches

I just finished the 101 Q &A about Eastern Catholic Churches by Edward Faulk . I started to see how much more is preserved in the Traditions of the Eastern Catholic Churches as oppose to Western Catholic Churches or Roman Rite. While the Roman Rite continue to change in its liturgy, the Eastern Catholic Churches maintains and perserves them. The theological thinking of Western concerning purgatory, original sin, immaculate conception differs in the Eastern Rite. The author use the term difference of belief as expressions. I can't go into detailed, but as a Latin Rite Catholic I am very much drawn into the Eastern Rite Churches.

In the Latin Rite Churches, I see to many liturgical abuses as oppose to Eastern Rites, and there is more reverence to Eastern Catholicism as oppose to Eastern Rite. However, the author notes if a Catholic decide to switch rites, the process needs to be discern for years.

So I think I will go visit an Eastern Rite Catholic Church when I return to the US, and of course I will have ask questions to the priest so I don't do anything out of ordinary when they conduct their Liturgy. I also bought the DVD introduction, and there is a lot of bowing. I was like, WOW. this is totally different from Latin Rite Liturgy..

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old Nov 22, '07, 12:50 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I just finished reading 101 Q & A about Eastern Catholic Churches

Do you have the title and maybe a link for the video? I have been wanting to visit a Eastern Church for Divine Liturgy for years but do not want to be completely clueless when I go.

Thanks.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Nov 22, '07, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
Do you have the title and maybe a link for the video? I have been wanting to visit a Eastern Church for Divine Liturgy for years but do not want to be completely clueless when I go.

Thanks.
you can view one at http://www.byzcath.org or http://www.byzantines.net/
Old Nov 22, '07, 1:37 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

Corky and Mannyfit, don't worry about "knowing what to do." These customs are not cast in concrete, and there is wide personal variation. Nobody cares or even pays any attention if you do or do not bow or bless yourself when most of the others do.

Just go, watch, pray, enjoy, and allow yourself to be overwhelmed.
Old Nov 22, '07, 2:40 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
Corky and Mannyfit, don't worry about "knowing what to do." These customs are not cast in concrete, and there is wide personal variation. Nobody cares or even pays any attention if you do or do not bow or bless yourself when most of the others do.

Just go, watch, pray, enjoy, and allow yourself to be overwhelmed.
The video was overwhelming. It was the Byzantine Rite I saw.

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old Nov 22, '07, 3:00 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic in the Byzantine RIte of the Ruthenian tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyfit75 View Post
The video was overwhelming. It was the Byzantine Rite I saw.
Manny, where are you from in the U.S.?
I ask this because there are fewer Eastern Catholic Churches despite the many rites in the East.

For example, I know of a Byzantine Catholic Church in Homer Glen, IL. From what I gather, they are the only on in IL, at least of the Rutherian tradition. Here in NE Ohio we are blessed to have four churches relatively near each other: One in Euclid, Mentor ont he Lake (where I go ), Fairport Harbor (my pastor has this church as well and it's not to far from mine) and one in Ashtabula (the furthest one out).

The reason of this is because two of the places where the Byzantine Catholic Church got their start in the U.S. in the 1880's are in the areas of Pittsburgh, PA and Minneapolis, MN. The closer you are to those states, the more likely you will find more Byzantine Catholic Churches.

Corky and Mannyfit (and anyone else), we'd be glad to have you celebrate Divine Liturgy with us anytime!
Old Nov 22, '07, 3:11 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin1961 View Post
Manny, where are you from in the U.S.?
I ask this because there are fewer Eastern Catholic Churches despite the many rites in the East.

In the East Coast. I plan to reside in Philadephia when I get out of the Army in March 2009. I think there are some Eastern Rite Catholic Churches there.

Quote:
For example, I know of a Byzantine Catholic Church in Homer Glen, IL. From what I gather, they are the only on in IL, at least of the Rutherian tradition. Here in NE Ohio we are blessed to have four churches relatively near each other: One in Euclid, Mentor ont he Lake (where I go ), Fairport Harbor (my pastor has this church as well and it's not to far from mine) and one in Ashtabula (the furthest one out).

The reason of this is because two of the places where the Byzantine Catholic Church got their start in the U.S. in the 1880's are in the areas of Pittsburgh, PA and Minneapolis, MN. The closer you are to those states, the more likely you will find more Byzantine Catholic Churches.
It's more likely, I will go to the one in PA.

Quote:
Corky and Mannyfit (and anyone else), we'd be glad to have you celebrate Divine Liturgy with us anytime!
I just love the way you explain the Eastern point of view concerning Catholicism. I never know how much preservation the East has been committed in regard to the Divine Liturgy. I recall in your book, that the Eastern Rite goes by the Liturgy of Mark, and Liturgy of St. Basil, Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. Correct me if my information is incorrect.

I do respect the Latin Rite, but the Eastern Rite has a more appealing to me.

Old Nov 22, '07, 4:33 pm

Religion: Russian Catholic

bpbasilphx's reply is exactly right: go and see. As for "what to do", nobody expects visitors to know what to do (except for the
occasional grump). I certainly didn't when I first went to
a Byzantine Catholic service. Find a Liturgy that is at least
partly in English. An all Slavonic, Ukrainian or Arabic service
will leave you clueless. Ask questions. Unless you have
gone to a parish where the people are a bunch of dead-heads,
they will be more than happy to explain. If you do encounter
a bunch of dead-heads, go somewhere else.

Edmac
Old Nov 22, '07, 4:35 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic in the Byzantine RIte of the Ruthenian tradition

Quote:

I do respect the Latin Rite, but the Eastern Rite has a more appealing to me.
At our parish, we still use the bells when the consecration of the Eucharist takes place, and there are other parts of the Divine Liturgy where bells are rung. You like the smell of incense? There's plenty of it in the Catholic East. It is used just about everytime there is a Liturgy, Matins, Vespers, Molebens, etc.
I don't remember a time when incense is not used. (At least this is for our parish).
Old Nov 22, '07, 4:44 pm

Nor for mine. Some of the servers really heap it on. This can
be a difficulty for people with resperatory problems. But then there
is the ancient Eastern practice of people wandering out of the
church every now and again for a breath or fresh air, or for a smoke.

Edmac
Old Nov 22, '07, 4:45 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin1961 View Post
At our parish, we still use the bells when the consecration of the Eucharist takes place, and there are other parts of the Divine Liturgy where bells are rung. You like the smell of incense? There's plenty of it in the Catholic East. It is used just about everytime there is a Liturgy, Matins, Vespers, Molebens, etc.
I don't remember a time when incense is not used. (At least this is for our parish).
I love incense. It doesn't matter if it is use more or not but I do prefer more incense. It brings the prophecy of Malachi fullfilling.

"From the rising of the sun to its settings my name is great among the nations, and in every place incense is offered in my name, and a pure offering; for my name is great among the nations, says the Lord of hosts."

Old Nov 22, '07, 4:48 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Thanks and if I was anywhere near you, I would love to take you up on that. But here in Texas, it seems to be a bit more complicated. I have been cautioned by aquaintances who are Eastern Catholic and Orthodox that it is important to go to the rite that is closest to your ethnic heritage. Evidently, everyone else, even other Eastern Catholic/Orthodox are tolerated but not exactly welcomed. (their sentiments, not mine) In fact, none of my aquintances even suggested that I attend their own divine liturgy.

This is a bit of a dilema since I am Irish and German by heritage - neither country is exactly "home" to many Eastern Christians. I don't want to go if my presence would be considered an intrusion or offensive in any way. I am really torn since I want to know about this part of our Church but most certainly do not want to be disruptive about it.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Nov 22, '07, 5:20 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

Quote:

In the East Coast. I plan to reside in Philadephia when I get out of the Army in March 2009. I think there are some Eastern Rite Catholic Churches there.

It's more likely, I will go to the one in PA.

Manny. In the Philadelphia area, you do have a selection of Easter Rite Churches. The predominance is Ukrainian Catholic, but there are others in the area.

BTW: The author, Edward Faulk, is Deacon Ed here on CAF.
Old Nov 22, '07, 5:29 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderAimlessly View Post
Manny. In the Philadelphia area, you do have a selection of Easter Rite Churches. The predominance is Ukrainian Catholic, but there are others in the area.

BTW: The author, Deacon Ed, is Deacon Ed here on CAF.
I know.

Old Nov 22, '07, 5:51 pm

Me, ethnically I am Scots-Irish-German-English. Religiously,
I am Russian Catholic. It is true that ethnicity is a problem in some Eastern Catholic and Orthodox congregations. Any
congregation what would not welcome you because of your
ethnicity quite plainly are not worthly of the name of "church"
inasmuch as they are there not to worship Christ but themselves.
Such people are to be utterly avoided.

However, in this day and age, a substantial number of the
members of any Eastern Catholic or Orthodox congregation
are likely to be either quite Americanized or "converts"
from Roman Catholicism or Protestantism. The only thing
to do is to go and and see. You have a right to be there.
If you are spurned, pray for them, kick the dust from your
feet, and try somewhere else.

Edmac

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism