Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 25, '07, 4:08 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Does Starbucks support Planned Parenthood?

Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all.Hope this isn't a repeat thread.Does anyone know for a fact that Starbucks directly contributes money to Planned Parenthood,other pro abortion organizations or political parties? If so how can one find out this info? One of my children is currently employed at Starbucks.We all ready know about the CD,s and other anti Catholic/christian stuff. I figure where there's smoke,there's fire.Thanks and God Bless to you and yours.
Old Nov 25, '07, 8:15 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Starbucks

If I was you, I would go tho their website and contact the company directly and ask them.

That would serve two purposes really, one, you would find out for sure whether they do or don't support them, and two, it would make it known to them that you are not happy with the companies policy if in fact they do contribute.

I've heard alot of rumors concerning big corporations on a whole range of issues, but most of these rumors prove to be false when you confront the companies. There is a strong backlash against these huge companies in this country, so many of the rumors are started by angry Americans. I hope this rumor proves to be false also...

JESU XPI PASSIO

Come Join Us At The Passionists!

Old Nov 27, '07, 1:29 am

Send a message via Yahoo to goofyjim
Default Re: Does Starbucks support Planned Parenthood?

Either way there is nothing like a good cup of Starbucks.
Old Nov 27, '07, 2:17 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

If they do, I'd like to know because I boycott any company that supports Planned Parenthood or abortion in any way.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Nov 27, '07, 6:59 am

I drink almost 1 Starbucks each day. I also try not to support companies that actively support abortion clinics or openly support the Catholic church. So I would like to know if Starbucks actively supports Planned Parenthood. Have they given a small donation in the past, or perhaps a one-time donation, and stopped? Do they give annual donations? There is a difference. Perhaps they did but no longer do? Perhaps they do and we don't know? I'd like to know one way or the other and possibly change my habits. There are other places to get a good cup of coffee.
Old Nov 27, '07, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
If they do, I'd like to know because I boycott any company that supports Planned Parenthood or abortion in any way.
I kind of agree, but it's abit of a slippery slope.

What if your favorite local resturant, deli, or conveniance store supported PP? Or maybe your barber, who you've been going to for 25 years. Would you even know it, and if you did would you stop going?

Also, does Starbucks support things we do agree with, like supporting our troops?

Like I said, I don't disagree with your sentiments, but there are probably to many other people we patronise out there that probably support PP....

JESU XPI PASSIO

Come Join Us At The Passionists!

Old Nov 27, '07, 3:10 pm

Yes, Starbucks supports Planned Parenthood.

The below link is of Matching Gift Companies on the Planned Parenthood website.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ppc..._companies.pdf

I did not do more than a superfical search of their website, but Starbucks is listed at least 16 times as a supporter of Planned Parenthood.

Please do not support Starbucks!

George
Old Nov 27, '07, 3:29 pm

Religion: practicing Catholic...one day I'll get it right
Send a message via Yahoo to kentuckyliz Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyliz

Oh Darn! I can't buy Nikes or Reeboks any more, can't fill up at a BP or Amoco or Mobil station, I have to throw out my iPod and cancel my iTunes and not buy the Mac I was thinking about, get rid of my HP printer, remove Microsoft programs from my computer, I can't drink Pepsi or eat Kellogg's cereals, I have to close my Bank of America and AmEx credit cards, insist to my docs not to use Pfizer drugs, never shop at a Ben Franklin or Radio Shack or REI store, get rid of my GE microwave and toaster oven, cancel my long term care insurance because it's from John Hancock, and close out my Charles Schwab investing account....

wait, this is getting to be too much.

And that's the Columbia/Willamette PP. I don't live there. Oh well, that's a relief. I don't have to make all these drastic changes.

One think I noticed: Mercy Corps! Doesn't John Michael Talbot raise money for them at his concerts? And a bunch of other Christian musicians too? Yikes, I've donated to them before. Never again.

Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world!
Have mercy on us and grant us peace.

Old Nov 27, '07, 5:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Waters View Post
Yes, Starbucks supports Planned Parenthood.

The below link is of Matching Gift Companies on the Planned Parenthood website.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ppc..._companies.pdf

I did not do more than a superfical search of their website, but Starbucks is listed at least 16 times as a supporter of Planned Parenthood.

Please do not support Starbucks!
If I understand this correctly, the "matching gift" means that an employee give's money to a cause of the individual's choice and Starbucks matches it:
http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/givesback.asp
Quote:
Choose to Give!
We believe charitable giving is a personal decision. Respecting this, Starbucks designed Choose to Give!, a flexible workplace-giving program that matches each partner’s charitable contributions, up to $1,000 annually.
That means that a Starbucks employee could also give to a pro-life organization and the company would match it. Therefore, I don't hold Starbucks, or any other company on that list, "liable" for the giving to Planned Parenthood.

If you find something that shows they give direct corporate support outside of that program, then please post the information. That would be a different situation. I think a company match program for charitable giving is to be commended.
Old Nov 27, '07, 6:06 pm

Religion: practicing Catholic...one day I'll get it right
Send a message via Yahoo to kentuckyliz Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyliz

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/foundation.asp

The Starbucks Foundation has certain adopted organizations and causes, and they make grants in addition to that. Read all about it here. The archive list of grantees is available. I read back a few years and didn't see any Planned Parenthood listed at all.

So that's what corporate is doing.

I also looked over their corporate social responsibility statement. I like their fair trade commitments. Treating those Catholic coffee growers fairly! Hey, economic justice! I remember reading something about that in the Catechism.

Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world!
Have mercy on us and grant us peace.

Old Nov 28, '07, 3:20 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to goofyjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyliz View Post
Oh Darn! I can't buy Nikes or Reeboks any more, can't fill up at a BP or Amoco or Mobil station, I have to throw out my iPod and cancel my iTunes and not buy the Mac I was thinking about, get rid of my HP printer, remove Microsoft programs from my computer, I can't drink Pepsi or eat Kellogg's cereals, I have to close my Bank of America and AmEx credit cards, insist to my docs not to use Pfizer drugs, never shop at a Ben Franklin or Radio Shack or REI store, get rid of my GE microwave and toaster oven, cancel my long term care insurance because it's from John Hancock, and close out my Charles Schwab investing account....

wait, this is getting to be too much.

And that's the Columbia/Willamette PP. I don't live there. Oh well, that's a relief. I don't have to make all these drastic changes.

One think I noticed: Mercy Corps! Doesn't John Michael Talbot raise money for them at his concerts? And a bunch of other Christian musicians too? Yikes, I've donated to them before. Never again.
Exactly right. It is getting to be too much. The companies only do matching donations. If we want the money to stop going to planned parenthood it does no good to boycott the companies. We must change the hearts of individuals and get them to donate to prolife organizations only so the business money will also be sent that way. I for one am trading in my ipod, will buy itunes, shop at Radioshack and Starbucks and any other company I please.
Old Nov 29, '07, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg94086 View Post
If I understand this correctly, the "matching gift" means that an employee give's money to a cause of the individual's choice and Starbucks matches it:
http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/givesback.asp

That means that a Starbucks employee could also give to a pro-life organization and the company would match it. Therefore, I don't hold Starbucks, or any other company on that list, "liable" for the giving to Planned Parenthood.

If you find something that shows they give direct corporate support outside of that program, then please post the information. That would be a different situation. I think a company match program for charitable giving is to be commended.
Good points. You will not find anything at the corporate level as Starbucks allows sponsorship at local and regional levels.

As Starbucks (at the local and regional level) supports events contrary to the Catholic faith I will not support their business.

Also Starbucks chooses to have matching contributions to PP. I have worked for companies that did matching gifts, but were very specific. Starbucks doesn’t have to match contributions to PP, but they do. That should tell us something.

It would not matter if Starbucks gave millions to PP directly or not, some people would find it too difficult to give up Starbucks allowing them a convenient excuse to ignore their faith.

George
Old Nov 29, '07, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Religion: Orthodox in Communion w/ Rome (Copt)

Thank you for this thread. I will never go to Starbucks again.

Blessings,
Marduk
Old Nov 30, '07, 3:27 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Katie1723

I have a nice cup of Starbucks waiting for me when I get home from Mass.

Kathy
Old Nov 30, '07, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1723 View Post
I have a nice cup of Starbucks waiting for me when I get home from Mass.

Kathy
In the context and flow of this thread, I am always suprised and disappointed that any established forum member [BIG number of post] would offer a snide comment that associates an immoral company endeavor with one's personal piety, especially reception of the Eucharist. Where has respect and the sense shame gone?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice