Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Do you hate the sin of homosexual sex acts?
Yes 238 78.29%
No 47 15.46%
I didn't know I was supposed to. 12 3.95%
You have rocked my world & I must give this some thought. 7 2.30%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 28, '07, 9:20 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholics only: Do you hate homosexual sex acts (as we are obliged to) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboo124 View Post
Sin is sin...but adulterers are not cast into the same 'pool of shame' as homosexuals. Just as blacks and Jews were once considered 'sub-human', so are many homosexuals, who other than their sexual preference, are in many ways no different than anyone else.
What a racist comment. To comapare Jews and Blacks to a group of people who's only distinguishing charateristic is with whom and in what manner they engage in sex is outrageous. As far as the rest -nonsense. I have seen no one jusitfy adultery but i have seen muitludes try and justify homosexual behavior.

Quote:
I'm not making excuses for homosexuality. I personally just find it judgemental for a bunch of heterosexuals to be concerning themselves with a sin that does not separate THEM from God.
Again are you suggesting that no discussion of specific sins should ever take place?

Quote:
I'm more concerned with focussing on my own sins and character flaws...I'm not going to earn a place in Heaven worrying about how others are living their lives if I've got room to improve how I live my own.
Then why are you joining in this thread?

Quote:
I love gay people, as I love straight people. I don't love the 'act' of homosexuality, just as I don't love the act of adultery. I don't love any sin...but, I do love the people who commit them.
But you are perfectly willing to let them burn in eternal hellfire lest it be considered poining out the seriousness of their sin is being 'judgemental"

Quote:
Judge not lest ye be judged...we all do it, it's hard not to...but, it doesn't make it right.

Other than judge those who point out behavior that is a sin, right?

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Nov 28, '07, 9:26 am

Default Re: Catholics only: Do you hate homosexual sex acts (as we are obliged to) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbob View Post
So are you saying there should be no discussiojn of specific sins whatspever since we are all sinners? Can you point me to some non homosexual behavior threads where you have likewise admonished posters for discussing specific sins?
I'm not admonishing any posters at all. I'm debating the mindset, not any person in here or anything specific that's been posted in here. If I was, I'd have quoted other people's points that I took issue with and replied to them.

If my posts are coming across that way, I apologize. I don't see it, but I may not be typing it the way it's being read.

I'm simply stating my opinion towards homophobic behavior. It's not anything that's specifically been posted in here, it's how society treats the topic altogether.

Society is completely scizophrenic when it comes to homosexuality...it swings from extreme intolerance to extreme special priviledges. We're either totally banishing gay people from our 'clicks' in society or allowing them to marry eachother! It's ridiculous.

However...putting all that aside...I have personally noticed many people relying on the writing's of the Bible while denouncing homosexuality, and I find it rather humorous, because the Bible has been quoted as a means of defending homophobic behavior. That is hypocritical...I'm not saying this in relation to anything posted in here, I'm just stating that in MY life's experience I've seen it done many, many times and I don't think committing a sin to point out a sin is very productive.

I'm certainly not trying to come across argumentative, at the same time I'm not stepping back from the point I'm attempting to make. I hate sin, but I love all of God's children regardless of the sins they commit. Who am I to think otherwise?
Old Nov 28, '07, 9:33 am

[quote=estesbob;3020392]What a racist comment. To comapare Jews and Blacks to a group of people who's only distinguishing charateristic is with whom and in what manner they engage in sex is outrageous. As far as the rest -nonsense. I have seen no one jusitfy adultery but i have seen muitludes try and justify homosexual behavior.
[quote]

I'm extremely surprised and offended by your post.

Racist? How dare you? Because of society's mistreatings of other human beings you're going to call ME a racist? You don't appear to be a very tolerant or compassionate person...you seem very angry and bitter and I don't think I care to discuss topics with you any further.

Nonsense? I'm sharing my heartfelt feelings on a topic and you're going to reduce my opinion to 'nonsense'? I'm sorry that I am not able to contribute to this forum without having insults thrown at me.

I truly felt joining this forum would be a wonderful experience and I'm beyond disappointed that you are going to spew hateful comments at me simply because you either don't agree with my view points or don't understand the point I'm trying to make.

I didn't expect this type of treatment in of all places a Christian Forum. I'm here attempting to educate myself, discuss Christian values and strengthen my faith. Perhaps I've come to the wrong place to do so...I truly wasn't expecting such a bitter and close minded attitude.

Thank you for an unbelievable experience!
Old Nov 28, '07, 9:37 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

[quote=rboo124;3020437]
Quote:
What a racist comment. To comapare Jews and Blacks to a group of people who's only distinguishing charateristic is with whom and in what manner they engage in sex is outrageous. As far as the rest -nonsense. I have seen no one jusitfy adultery but i have seen muitludes try and justify homosexual behavior.
QUOTE]

I'm extremely surprised and offended by your post.

Racist? How dare you?

!
HOW DARE YOU! You have compared a race of people who were bought to this country in chains, sold at will, raped, murdered and beaten with no repurcsussions and who still suffer discrimination today to people defined only by the fact they enage in sodomy. Shame on you.

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Nov 28, '07, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedtoo View Post

For those brilliant members (above) who have already reached the most obvious conclusion and made the connection, I would say you are right to be confused. Based on what you may read on CAF (and other Catholic websites) it would seem the acts themselves are not inherently immoral because heterosexuals who are married are allegedly allowed carte blanche as long as they "finish the proper way." Hence my conclusion that:

This concept has infected even Catholic thinking and "theology" but it's obvious there is a glaring contradiction here. Could this have something to do with the confusion Catholics face with regard to homosexuality?

Such acts were considered depraved universally until the sexual revolution elevated physical pleasure above all other marital goods. Such acts were against the law until the push for sexual "freedom" (license) became the prevailing voice of our culture.

A Catholic, who asserts that homosexual acts are contrary to natural law and God's law, should be consistent and at the very least reflect on the deeper spiritual meaning and implications of such acts, regardless of who engages in them.
Interesting points. Perhaps part of the problem is imprecise use of words? I mean we know homosexual acts are always wrong. Calling certain acts homosexual when they are not homosexual would seem to confuse the matter. In the same way it is confusing when the word contraception is misused or the word artificial is misused or misunderstood.
Old Nov 28, '07, 9:43 am

[quote=estesbob;3020456]
Quote:
HOW DARE YOU! You have compared a race of people who were bought to this country in chains, sold at will, raped, murdered and beaten with no repurcsussions and who still suffer discrimination today to people defined only by the fact they enage in sodomy. Shame on you.
I'll retreat and let you have this 'win'...I'm not going to turn this into an argument with you. You have completely manipulated my words in an attempt to belittle me and I suggest you go back and re-read my posts...you have taken what I said completely out of context.

I am going to refrain from future discussions with you...the world is narrow minded and angry enough, I don't seek more of it. It's this type of Christian behavior that prevents people from converting...shame on YOU, Bob, truly! Why would somebody view your behavior as something that they would want from Christianity? How many others have you turned away with your anger and simpleton attitude?
Old Nov 28, '07, 9:47 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

[quote=rboo124;3020482]
Quote:

I'll retreat and let you have this 'win'...I'm not going to turn this into an argument with you. You have completely manipulated my words in an attempt to belittle me and I suggest you go back and re-read my posts...you have taken what I said completely out of context.

I am going to refrain from future discussions with you...the world is narrow minded and angry enough, I don't seek more of it. It's this type of Christian behavior that prevents people from converting...shame on YOU, Bob, truly! Why would somebody view your behavior as something that they would want from Christianity? How many others have you turned away with your anger and simpleton attitude?
Do you have any idea how outraged African Americans are when their struggle is compared to homosexuality? No one hard to manipulate your words. you are the one who made the comparison.

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Nov 28, '07, 9:48 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix View Post
Interesting points. Perhaps part of the problem is imprecise use of words? I mean we know homosexual acts are always wrong. Calling certain acts homosexual when they are not homosexual would seem to confuse the matter. In the same way it is confusing when the word contraception is misused or the word artificial is misused or misunderstood.
\

Homosexual behavior can only occur between members of the same sex. it is impossible for heterosexuals to engage in homosexual acts.

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Nov 28, '07, 9:51 am

Quote:
I personally just find it judgemental for a bunch of heterosexuals to be concerning themselves with a sin that does not separate THEM from God.
Do you think the societal pressure to normalize what ought not be normalized is a pressing concern for people, in particular parents? Is it illegitimate to be concerned about this movement?

Quote:
I'm more concerned with focussing on my own sins and character flaws...I'm not going to earn a place in Heaven worrying about how others are living their lives if I've got room to improve how I live my own.
Why does this apply to this issue? I mean take something like DWI. That is socially acceptable to be against. Why is DWI ok to call bad, but not impure sexual acts? Where is it stated we must be publicly against only socially acceptable proscriptions?

Quote:
Judge not lest ye be judged...we all do it, it's hard not to...but, it doesn't make it right.
Great. So, I must not speak against those who drink and drive. Which other issues are off the table?
Old Nov 28, '07, 10:09 am

Quote:
Do you think the societal pressure to normalize what ought not be normalized is a pressing concern for people, in particular parents? Is it illegitimate to be concerned about this movement?
Absolutely. And I think the gay marriage laws are certainly open for protest. Our society has zigged and zagged over this topic, from beating deaths of kids for being homosexual, to allowing two men to marry eachother and adopt children. Yes, there's a huge issue on both ends.

Quote:
Why does this apply to this issue? I mean take something like DWI. That is socially acceptable to be against. Why is DWI ok to call bad, but not impure sexual acts? Where is it stated we must be publicly against only socially acceptable proscriptions?

Great. So, I must not speak against those who drink and drive. Which other issues are off the table?
Drunk driving is an act that not only takes the life of the person committing the sin, but also the lives of many, many innocent people. There are probably MANY better comparisons to use besides that.

Again, I'm repeating myself, but...I have no problem with this topic being discussed...and even if I did, so what? It would be rather arrogant of me. My initial post was meant towards society's treatment of homosexuals. Of course I disagree with homosexuality...I don't fully understand it, but I know what God has said regarding the topic and that's good enough for me.

Every homosexual out there is aware of the Bible's stance towards the act. Discussing the sin with a homosexual is not off limits...but, I think history has proven that perhaps the HOW it's been approached hasn't worked.

I think respsonses to my posts are a perfect comparison...somebody either misinterpreted or disagreed with what I posted, and BOOM...all of a sudden I'm a racist who's opinion is reduced to nothing more than 'nonsense'? LOL

Treating others with sarcasm and hatred is NOT going to get us very far. If this is how we are going to approach the homosexual community, we will fail. Hiding behind our 'Christian Values' will further hinder us from being of service because our 'holier than thou' attitudes will be surpassed only by our anger and intolerance.

BTW...I never said any topics were 'off the table', I simply shared my opinion on society's intolerance of people that are 'different' than them. No offense was intended, but the fact that offense was so quickly assumed speaks volumes to me.

The fact of the matter is, it's very apparent that perhaps the most accurate point I made was 'we need to worry more about our sins than others'...I'm truly surprised at how flustered some responses to my posts have been...I must have really hit a nerve with some people to extract this type of response.

I mean, here we are discussing the sin of homosexuality when anger, intolerance and insults are being hurled out during...perhaps ths sin of homosexuality SHOULDN'T be our main concern, maybe there's work that we need to do on ourselves before we worry about the work that needs to be done on others....?

If the shoe fits....wear it. And the shoe fits me, unfortunately, so I've got logs in my own eyes to remove first.
Old Nov 28, '07, 10:25 am

Quote:
Drunk driving is an act that not only takes the life of the person committing the sin, but also the lives of many, many innocent people. There are probably MANY better comparisons to use besides that.
And you think promoting the "gay" lifestyle only affects a limited group?

Quote:
Every homosexual out there is aware of the Bible's stance towards the act. Discussing the sin with a homosexual is not off limits...but, I think history has proven that perhaps the HOW it's been approached hasn't worked.
I do not know what you mean? This topic involves all people. It involves politicians and others, who may not have ssa, yet promote that these acts are acceptable.

Quote:
Treating others with sarcasm and hatred is NOT going to get us very far.
I agree, but where is the hatred?

Quote:
If this is how we are going to approach the homosexual community, we will fail. Hiding behind our 'Christian Values' will further hinder us from being of service because our 'holier than thou' attitudes will be surpassed only by our anger and intolerance.
Sorry, but your buzz words about hatred, intolerance, and such seem hollow to me.

Quote:
BTW...I never said any topics were 'off the table', I simply shared my opinion on society's intolerance of people that are 'different' than them. No offense was intended, but the fact that offense was so quickly assumed speaks volumes to me.
Again, I see the word intolerant is used. Why?

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, it's very apparent that perhaps the most accurate point I made was 'we need to worry more about our sins than others'...I'm truly surprised at how flustered some responses to my posts have been...I must have really hit a nerve with some people to extract this type of response.

If the shoe fits....
You are making the case agaisnt your position. The "sins" of others affect all of us. You want to have discussion, but only on your terms.
Old Nov 28, '07, 10:33 am
Forum Master

Back to the original posts, it's interesting this topic should be brought up because just recently I was examining my own reaction of physical revulsion to an overt public display of affection between two homosexuals.

I do believe, like someone mentioned earlier, that society has swung between the extremes of shunning/discriminating against homosexuals to accepting their behavior as normal and even mandating that everyone accepts this as well.

By nature, I am one who always seeks to find a balance between extremes. The acts are sinful, the participants are humans whose inclinations, hearts and struggles God alone knows.

There is sometimes a fine line between refusing to associate with sinful behavior and refusing to show the love of Christ to other human beings.

Historically though, it is true that homosexuals have often been singled out for insult and abuse. So in a sense, their abusers have unwittingly set them up to be afforded special protection under the law.

I think the take-home message from what happened with gays is that every group of people should be treated with love, whether or not we approve of their lifestyle. Then there should be no need to make them specially protected entities under unnecessarily intrusive laws.
From the age of pharaohs through myriad mutations of the enduring human inclination to oppress and exclude through unjust remuneration, the basic justification has remained unchanged. It is the fear, affected or real, propounded by countless leaders, scholars, and statesman, that extending justice to all, will lead to national impoverishment and decline. Cyclical retelling of the Exodus story among people of faith serves to celebrate the role of God's saving justice in the human cycle of oppression and redemption. It also serves as an admonition to be on the right side of this story in every age and time.
Old Nov 28, '07, 10:34 am

I suppose I do, but I see other sins as far worthier of my time and energy to try to correct, such as abortion. I really don't see it as being much different than fornication. As sexual sins go I see adultery and pornography as causing much more pain and suffering to my fellow man. Even hetersexual fornication could be seen as worse since it is likely to lead to abortion, child abuse, abandonded/neglected children.

Also, there is no such thing as homosexual sex acts between a married couple. A married couple is a man and a woman. A homosexual act requires 2 men or 2 women.
Old Nov 28, '07, 10:44 am

Quote:
And you think promoting the "gay" lifestyle only affects a limited group?

I do not know what you mean? This topic involves all people. It involves politicians and others, who may not have ssa, yet promote that these acts are acceptable.

I agree, but where is the hatred?

Sorry, but your buzz words about hatred, intolerance, and such seem hollow to me.

Again, I see the word intolerant is used. Why?

You are making the case agaisnt your position. The "sins" of others affect all of us. You want to have discussion, but only on your terms.
No, I don't think promoting the gay lifestyle 'necessarily' only affects a small group of people. If children are being allowed to be adopted by gay 'married' parents, that's affecting MUCH more than a small group of people.

My 'hatred and intolerant' comparison was in no way meant towards you. For one, it's meant towards how some in society treat sub-cultures that go against the grain...two, it's meant towards another poster who had the audacity to label me a 'racist' and belittled my opinions to 'nonsense'. I think I used a VERY accurate description. This is EXACTLY the same type of treatment that the 'Beautiful People' have displayed to others in society that alienates 'us from them'...a good cause has no chance of success at the hands of a bad deed.

I certainly don't want to have a discussion only on 'my terms'...this is my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm 'right'. I'm not HERE because I think I'm right about everything, I'm here because I know I'm NOT right about everything and want to learn and grow. And I'm certainly not trying to say that I'm not just as guilty, if not more so, of being a hypocrite or judgemental.

I'm a struggling Christian...I was born Catholic, left the Church when my mom died when I was 15, returned two years ago at 35 when I began recovery from alcoholism and I'm not 'growing' as rapidly as I'd like to...

Unfortunately, I'm left here with a very bad taste in my mouth. I'm offended at being called a racist and having my opinions called 'nonsense'. I came here to 'learn' from Christians with stronger faith and deeper education than myself and three posts into my stay I get smacked with what I would consider 'less than Christian' BS.

I think posting in this thread was a mistake...I either don't understand this topic to the level of some of you, or truly don't want to understand where some of you are coming from because if that's what IT is, I don't want it.
Old Nov 28, '07, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerz View Post
Back to the original posts, it's interesting this topic should be brought up because just recently I was examining my own reaction of physical revulsion to an overt public display of affection between two homosexuals.

I do believe, like someone mentioned earlier, that society has swung between the extremes of shunning/discriminating against homosexuals to accepting their behavior as normal and even mandating that everyone accepts this as well.

By nature, I am one who always seeks to find a balance between extremes. The acts are sinful, the participants are humans whose inclinations, hearts and struggles God alone knows.

There is sometimes a fine line between refusing to associate with sinful behavior and refusing to show the love of Christ to other human beings.

Historically though, it is true that homosexuals have often been singled out for insult and abuse. So in a sense, their abusers have unwittingly set them up to be afforded special protection under the law.

I think the take-home message from what happened with gays is that every group of people should be treated with love, whether or not we approve of their lifestyle. Then there should be no need to make them specially protected entities under unnecessarily intrusive laws.
I truly wish I had worded myself as eloquently and accurately as you just did.

This is exactly how I feel. I think my delivery was much rougher around the edges than the way you put it. Perhaps I tried to convey too much in too little...you did an excellent job getting your point across.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice