Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 28, '07, 10:16 am

Religion: RCIA
Default Any Homeschoolers try Singapore Math

I use Saxon math with my daughters and I admit they learn very well. My older daughter has some problem with math and the way Saxon is organized isn't helpful for her. I forget what the method Saxon uses is called.

They introduce a concept but instead of spending the next few days on just that concept they include a lot of what has been previously learned in that day's practice.

So if you learn on one day how to add, and the next how to subtract then those type of problems will be on the page dealing with mulitiplication.

My other kids are doing well with this but Abbie needs more work on each new concept.

I DO NOT want anything easier, just a program that spends a little more time on each concept by itself. So, if she learns to add fractions one day, she can concentrate on that new skill.

Does that make sense?

I have heard very good things about Singapore Math. So for all you homeschooling moms that use this, how is it organized?

I've heard good things about Singapore Math.
Old Nov 28, '07, 11:11 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Any Homeschoolers try Singapore Math

i haven't heard good things about it. i've heard good things about teaching textbooks, i think that is what it is called
Old Nov 28, '07, 11:19 am

I also am curious how many of you have children with radically different methods of learning? How did you deal with this?

Among my daughters, my younger daughter grasp math concepts easily and often surprises me with the jumps that she is able to do in logic. She is very good at word problems. But when it comes to reading she is behind and we are working hard to catch her up.

My older daughter is an excellent reader and writes short stories. She gets very frustrated with math and seems to forget how to do the same problems day after day. For instance, every day I explain how to simplify a fraction, every single day she forgets. We are now on percentages and finding circumference of a circle. Every day she forgets the forumula and every day I have her relook it up and rewrite it down.

My younger son is just good at everything. Yeah!

My older son is going to college so I don't have to worry about this with him anymore-at least I don't think that I do.
Old Nov 28, '07, 11:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
i haven't heard good things about it. i've heard good things about teaching textbooks, i think that is what it is called

What have you heard and what is teaching textbooks? Is that a curriculum?
Old Nov 28, '07, 1:40 pm
Prayer Warrior

Singapore math works well for my children. We've tried several math programs and Singapore is my favorite.

Singapore sticks to a topic longer than Saxon. The workbook questions relate to the corresponding textbook lesson, with reviews throughout before it moves onto a different concept. The concepts build on each other over the years, but Singapore math doesn't follow the traditional way math is taught in America. I would say it teaches math both in a different order and at a faster pace. For example, there is no one textbook for either algebra or geometry--such concepts are covered each year, starting very simple and getting more complex each year. It introduced some basic trigonometry in 7th grade.

I like the international flavor, such as the British spelling, and the names found in word problems and even the illustrations. The books do have a little color and are fairly attractive as math books go. Typically a child covers 2 textbooks and 2 corresponding workbooks in a year. (I like the switch mid-year as our workbooks generally get a bit tattered with use and abuse by toddlers.)

Anyway, that's my
Old Nov 28, '07, 1:45 pm

Thank you very much, Gardens with kids. Thier site has a placement test that I will probably give my daughters to see which book they should be in.
Old Nov 28, '07, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb1 View Post
What have you heard and what is teaching textbooks? Is that a curriculum?
i heard from several school teachers that when they got Homeschooled kids that were put back in school that used singapore math they were always behind in math. then my friend who like me is a certified teacher did testing for her sister's kids that are homeschooled and they were all behind in math. her sister uses singapore.
here is a link to teaching textbooks. i've heard people mention it on the 4 real forums as well as the kolbe academy forums
good luck
http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/
Old Nov 28, '07, 8:19 pm

We have used Singapore Math successfully with our homeschooled son for 3 and a half years. We supplement with Miquon Math. And I find he is well prepared. He scored way above average in math on our state-mandated standardized tests, so he is above grade level, while working on Singapore Math. I first heard about Singapore Math several years ago from another Catholic homeschooling mom who was using Saxon. Her feedback was that her children took the placement exam for Singapore and were actually behind what Singapore would have considered grade level for them. But then they did not particularly enjoy math.

I think it works well for our family but I do think we have to approach each child individually. My son who uses it likes workbooks. My younger son doesn't write his numbers yet so he does many more math manipulatives, Montessori-type things.

Good luck.
Old Nov 28, '07, 8:42 pm

Have you been in touch with Dr. Arthur Robinson at the Oregon Institute of Science & Medicine?

www.oism.org

He has prepared a home schooling curriculum, etc. He may be using the Saxon math program. In any case, if you have not already done so, you might want to send him an email to see if he has any ideas.
Old Nov 28, '07, 9:55 pm

Religion: Catholic as of Easter 2005

My SIL uses Singapore math. They seem to be doing really well with it. I think they work a lot off of base10 or something. I haven't started that yet, but I know they like it.

I've also heard of MathUSee but it's kind of pricey.
Old Nov 29, '07, 5:44 am

Quote:
i heard from several school teachers that when they got Homeschooled kids that were put back in school that used singapore math they were always behind in math. then my friend who like me is a certified teacher did testing for her sister's kids that are homeschooled and they were all behind in math. her sister uses singapore.
here is a link to teaching textbooks. i've heard people mention it on the 4 real forums as well as the kolbe academy forums
good luck
http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/
I know that Singapore Math introduces the math concepts at a different time then American schools do. But I have always heard that kids from Singapore actually test much higher on international then we do. I wonder why your friend is finding that kids test lower. Can you ask her which test that she is using?
Old Nov 29, '07, 5:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by phplists View Post
We have used Singapore Math successfully with our homeschooled son for 3 and a half years. We supplement with Miquon Math. And I find he is well prepared. He scored way above average in math on our state-mandated standardized tests, so he is above grade level, while working on Singapore Math. I first heard about Singapore Math several years ago from another Catholic homeschooling mom who was using Saxon. Her feedback was that her children took the placement exam for Singapore and were actually behind what Singapore would have considered grade level for them. But then they did not particularly enjoy math.

I think it works well for our family but I do think we have to approach each child individually. My son who uses it likes workbooks. My younger son doesn't write his numbers yet so he does many more math manipulatives, Montessori-type things.

Good luck.
I don't know why but I thought that Miquon was for younger students. Is it for middle school kids too?
Old Nov 29, '07, 5:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Masetti View Post
Have you been in touch with Dr. Arthur Robinson at the Oregon Institute of Science & Medicine?

www.oism.org

He has prepared a home schooling curriculum, etc. He may be using the Saxon math program. In any case, if you have not already done so, you might want to send him an email to see if he has any ideas.
No, I have not. Perhaps later I will look over his site. Thank you.
Old Nov 29, '07, 7:57 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
i heard from several school teachers that when they got Homeschooled kids that were put back in school that used singapore math they were always behind in math. then my friend who like me is a certified teacher did testing for her sister's kids that are homeschooled and they were all behind in math. her sister uses singapore. ...
Several points in defense of Singapore math:

Singapore math was developed for classroom teaching in the country of Singapore--and children in Singapore score higher in math than American children in the average American classroom. It introduces math concepts in different way than most American math programs. For example, in younger grades Singapore teaches mulitiplication of a number, then division of the same number, then long division using the same number--then it moves onto then another number to teach multiplication, division and long division with the next number. That's a logical progression, but different from how schools usually teach math in America. Typical American math programs teach all mulitiplication of the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 before teaching simple division and long division. A child tested who uses Singapore math for an Amercan math program might be appear behind in one area, while the child may be aware of several other math concepts that the American math program don't typically test for that grade level.

This different organization of teaching math makes it harder to transition back into an American math program in a traditional school. Singapore math covers algebra and geometry throughout the curriculum rather than separating them into different years of study. It introduces basic trigonometry in 7th grade. An older child of ours had a difficult time getting placed in an appropriate math course in high school, so decided to try an American math program for another child whom we expect might attend a regular classroom next year. Switching programs will make the transition to regular school easier, but comparing the programs-and I have tried several--Singapore clearly teaches more advanced math concepts earlier than most.

Singapore might not work well for every child. One of the beauties of homeschooling is picking the curriculum or program that works best for the particular child. My children tend to excel in math and quickly grasp math concepts. Singapore math moves at a rapid, steady pace. It covers the concepts, practices the concept related to the textbook lesson, then moves on. Every once in a while, I notice that one child has not quite grasped the concept, so we may linger a day or two longer or divide the lesson into two days. Or I might add a few math problems regarding the previous concept they haven't grasped or memorized while continuing on in the book for another concept.

We still work on basic memory of math facts while our Singapore lesson may have moved onto cover an entirely different concept. That type of thing is done when children attended regular school too, such as the "timed tests" for mulitiplication facts throughout the school year until the child "passes". Unless a math program moves v e r y s l o w l y , or unless the child has a gift for memorization, I think all math programs require such supplemental memory work.

----

I would also caution anyone to take an assessment of children who return to regular school with a grain of salt when comparing those children to other homeschoolers. Homeschoolers who do well tend to continue homeschooling. Trying to teach a child who doesn't learn quickly is a challenge to any teacher--certified classroom teacher or parent. When homeschooling gets too difficult for parents and/or children, the children are more likely to return to tradtional schools.

Also, a child who is behind in math might have been behind in math regardless of the educational choice or math program. People may excel in one area, such as reading or language arts, while struggling with math. I know someone who barely passed Algebra who now holds a Ph.D. in Literature. She probably would not have tested well on math regardless of what math program her school used because math was not her strength.
Old Nov 29, '07, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb1 View Post
I don't know why but I thought that Miquon was for younger students. Is it for middle school kids too?
Miquon Math does use Cuesinaire Rods to teach math concepts and I guess it's mostly for elementary students. It has six levels and my son has found them challenging and interesting (as a supplement or addition to the more traditional Singapore Math approach) so far. We are working through Level 4 in 4th grade.

Looking over my Miquon materials, I don't see any indication that they go beyond elementary. Sorry - was the original question about middle school? If so I missed that part.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting