Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 29, '04, 6:28 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Seven Archangels

My brother in law returned from the philipines last night. He brought me a gift. A long flat piece of wood that read "The Seven Archangels". On it are seven figures of angels. I know something about angels. there are seven seraphim that surround the throne of God. We know three angels names. Michael, Gabriel, Raphael. This shows an addtional four angels, Barachiel, Jhudiel, Sealtiel and Uriel. Who are they and where do they come from. I am clueless. If someone could enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it.
Old Oct 29, '04, 6:33 am

Default Re: Seven Archangels

Here's a link for you:

http://www.the7archangels.com/
Old Oct 29, '04, 6:39 am

"we have sacred tradition, the writings of the saints and private revelation to expand our understanding and enlighten us. In 1050 St. Celias did an exhaustive study of the approved writings of the Early Church Fathers up to the 4th century."
I suppose this is the most important part of that link? I can then assume this gift is "Catholic". Thanks.
Old Oct 29, '04, 6:40 am

Religion: Devout Catholic

We are surrounded by danger everywhere. Demonic forces continue their battle against the followers of Christ. God allows this, in order for us to be able to exhibit spiritual steadfastness and fealty to the Trinity. But in this daily and hourly struggle we are provided by God with great defenders and helpers - the holy angels, headed by the seven highest archangels; Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Salaphiel, Jegudiel, Barachiel.

Archangel Michael from that time the God expelled Lucifer (Satan) from Heaven, became the head of the entire heavenly host. For his zeal in working for God he is honored by the Church even to this day.

Archangel Gabriel has been entrusted with the service of being messenger to mankind. He came with the Lordís tidings of forthcoming miraculous events to the parents of St. John the Baptist, to the parents of the Holy Virgin Mary, and also to the Mother of God Herself and to the righteous Joseph. Archangel Gabriel is the messenger of Godís Providence, the attendant of miracles and divine Mysteries. When we are overcome with doubts, when it seems to us that we have been abandoned by everyone and there is no help from anywhere, let us pray to Archangel Gabriel, that by his prayers the Lord would reveal to us His most holy will and would set our life upon the course of salvation.

Archangel Raphael is a merciful healer, sent by God to comfort the sick and the sorrowing. From the Holy Scripture we know that Archangel Raphael expelled Archangel Gabriel demons from a woman. And how many 15th century people there are nowadays who are possessed by demonsÖ. Alas, both they and their relatives often turn for help to sorcerers who nowadays hide behind the pseudo-scientific name of ďextrasenses.Ē But will sorcerers, these servants of the devil, expel demons? Obviously not. The power to expel demons and heal those who are possessed by them belongs to the holy angels and particularly to Archangel Raphael. Let us ask him to intercede for us before the Lord, Giver of all good things.

The name of Archangel Uriel means the light or the fire of God. This archangel enlightens the minds and the hearts of the faithful with the light of divine truths and the fire of divine love. All those who embark upon the study of knowledge can and should pray to this archangel to enlighten their minds and hearts, in order to avoid a destructive chasm between knowledge and faith.

Archangel Salaphiel is the patron of prayer. He is even depicted so on icons: with eyes gazing downward, with hands crossed on his chest, with an air of humility and deep inner concentration. He is our primary teacher of prayer. Prayer is the most difficult thing to achieve, and one must be instructed in it. Unfortunately, some people assiduously study various worldly subjects, but disdain the study of the most important subject in the world - the Jesus prayer. Let us pray to Archangel Salaphiel for the Lord to grant us this gift of divine prayer.

Archangel Jegudiel is the patron, defender and helper of all those who toil. And we must all be such, for we have been commanded to eat our bread in the sweat of our faces. We toil not only physically, to earn our daily bread, but also spiritually, in order to perfect ourselves. Archangel Jegudiel is depicted on icons with a crown of victory in his hands. Such crowns will be earned by those of us who will endure to the very end, who will worthily bear the light yoke of Christ. We are faced with a complex task, so let us ask Archangel Jegudiel for help in our daily lives.

Archangel Barachiel is the angel of Godís blessings. While asking God to bless all our good efforts, let us also appeal to Archangel Barachiel for help. However, we must accept the Lordís blessing not only for prosperity but also for our cross, i.e. the sorrows without which there is no salvation. And may Archangel Barachiel give us strength to carry our blessed crosses.
Old Oct 29, '04, 7:27 am

[quote=Apologia100]We are surrounded by danger everywhere. Demonic forces continue their battle against the followers of Christ. God allows this, in order for us to be able to exhibit spiritual steadfastness and fealty to the Trinity. But in this daily and hourly struggle we are provided by God with great defenders and helpers - the holy angels, headed by the seven highest archangels; Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Salaphiel, Jegudiel, Barachiel.

QUOTE]
Thanks Apologia100, I had no doubt you could answer my question.
Old Nov 14, '08, 4:59 pm

Do you know where I can get a copy of St. Celias Book?
Is it translated into English somewhere?

I like to study angels & am a big fan of Psuedo-Dionysius Book.
Old Nov 14, '08, 5:58 pm

Thank you Apologia for your angel info post. I never knew the names of the other angels besides Michael, Raphael, and Gabriel.
Old Nov 14, '08, 11:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth22 View Post
Thank you Apologia for your angel info post. I never knew the names of the other angels besides Michael, Raphael, and Gabriel.
The three you mention are the only three mentioned in Sacred Scripture. Uriel is in Jewish tradition. I would be hesitant to recognize any other angels. Our Catholic tradition recognizes St. Michael,and the archangels Raphael and Gabriel.
Old Nov 14, '08, 11:40 pm

Shalom, Michael C! Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael are the only archangels mentioned in APPROVED scripture. The others come from unapproved sources. Uriel, for example, was named in the Book of Enoch. In there, if I'm remembering right (it's 1:30 AM and I'm at work, so I don't have my resources here), part of the Book of Enoch dealt with what could be called "hidden knowledge" or magik. This is reason it was never considered part of the Canon, and also why people who practice witchcraft often invoke Uriel in certain spells.

I can't speak for the other angels.

<><
Old Nov 15, '08, 12:24 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzhik View Post
Shalom, Michael C! Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael are the only archangels mentioned in APPROVED scripture. The others come from unapproved sources. Uriel, for example, was named in the Book of Enoch. In there, if I'm remembering right (it's 1:30 AM and I'm at work, so I don't have my resources here), part of the Book of Enoch dealt with what could be called "hidden knowledge" or magik. This is reason it was never considered part of the Canon, and also why people who practice witchcraft often invoke Uriel in certain spells.

I can't speak for the other angels.

<><
Well, Michael's name was often used in magic even in antiquity...

(lifted from a former post of mine)

The names given here mostly come from the Eastern Orthodox tradition. Usually, the first four is usually consistently named Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel. However, the other three have a greater variation over their names:

-Selaphiel (also Salathiel, Selaphiel or Sealtiel), another archangel whose name comes from 2 Esdras.
-Jegudiel (also Judiel), his name's origin is rather obscure; there is an Archangel named Jeremiel mentioned in 2 Esdras, which may be Judiel but many believe he is Uriel in another name.
-Barachiel; name comes from 3 Enoch, where he is one of four ruling Seraphim and has 496000 myriads of Angels ministering to him. Barachiel is said to be the chief of the Guardian Angels.

Others give wholly different names that have a great amount of variants.

The reason why the Church gives more emphasis to the main three Archangels (and why the other four generally do not have feastdays) is because at the Council of Rome of 745, Pope St. Zachary, intending to clarify the Church's teaching on the subject of angels and curb a tendency by some toward angel worship, condemned obsession with angelic intervention and angelolatry, but reaffirmed the approval of the practice of the reverence of angels. This synod struck many angels' names from the list of those eligible for veneration in the Church of Rome.

Only the reverence of the archangels mentioned in the recognized Catholic canon of Scriptures, Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, remained licit (though apparently Uriel and the others somehow 'crept back' into popular devotion in many places, even though Uriel's name was among those that were struck out). This restriction did not seem to affect the Eastern Church, who continued to honor the other four officially beside the Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael.
Old Oct 12, '09, 8:25 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to mikehump Send a message via Yahoo to mikehump Send a message via Skype™ to mikehump
Default Re: Seven Archangels - for Apologia100.

Hi Apologia100,

You said in your answer:

From the Holy Scripture we know that Archangel Raphael expelled Archangel Gabriel demons from a woman.

What are Archangel Gabriel demons?

Mike

Mike Humphrey, CICA
Catholic Internet Catechist and Apologist
Have a devotion to the Holy Souls?
Check out my other site:
Helpers of the Holy Souls
Old Oct 12, '09, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehump View Post
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Hi Apologia100,

You said in your answer:

From the Holy Scripture we know that Archangel Raphael expelled Archangel Gabriel demons from a woman.

What are Archangel Gabriel demons?

Mike
Raphael helped expell demons from the women Sarah. (See the book of Tobit) I think Apologia100 mistyped.

The absence of morality leads to the enslavement of laws. -- Me

Servent of God, Fr. Capodanno, pray for him.

When you sell out Christ, evil has it's hour.
Old Oct 12, '09, 8:45 am

Apologia100,

Where did you get that information? Very enlightening.

The absence of morality leads to the enslavement of laws. -- Me

Servent of God, Fr. Capodanno, pray for him.

When you sell out Christ, evil has it's hour.
Old Oct 12, '09, 8:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to mikehump Send a message via Yahoo to mikehump Send a message via Skype™ to mikehump
Default Re: Seven Archangels - Thanks

Thanks Father,

I just finished reading the epistles of Paul for the Pauline year.

Maybe I should start on the OT?

Mike
Old Oct 12, '09, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-McD View Post
Raphael helped expell demons from the women Sarah. (See the book of Tobit) I think Apologia100 mistyped.
The name of the Demon was Asmodeus mentioned in (Tobit 3:8, 17).
This is who the archangel Raphael casts out of Sarah.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence