Catholic FAQ


Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Dec 6, '07, 2:00 pm
ryanoneil ryanoneil is offline
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: August 29, 2007
Posts: 3,461
Religion: Catholic
Default A Course in Miracles

My wife's friend said that A Course in Miracles can be used as a self help tool for anyone regardless of their religion. I disagreed and sent her these articles

http://www.ewtn.com/library/NEWAGE/COURSE.TXT
http://www.ewtn.com/library/NEWAGE/BRAINWAS.TXT

I told her a Christian couldn't really believe what A Course in Miracles says. (based on this article quote)

Quote:
A Course in Miracles denies that our Lord Jesus Christ came to the earth in the flesh. An abstract of "the Course" can be written based solely on two lines of the "spirit" channeled writings. Chapter 8, Section VII, para- graph 7, page 152 states:

"The Bible says, "The Word (or thought) was made flesh." Strictly speaking this is impossible, since it seems to involve the translation of one order or reality into another."

Contrast the "spirits" channeled words to the inspired words of St.
John (1 John 4:1-3):

" Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are of God; for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit which confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit which does not confess Jesus is not of God. This is the spirit of anti- christ, of which you heard that it was coming, and now it is in the world already."
I'd like to hear your comments on A Course in Miracles. Good and Bad. (regardless of your religion or lack of religion)

Thank you,

Ryan
  #2  
Old Dec 6, '07, 4:21 pm
Jaypeeto4 Jaypeeto4 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 5, 2005
Posts: 3,109
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

A Course In Miracles was very popular in the late 1980s.
My friend was heavily into New Age, attended the "Unity" church, and read A Course In Miracles as if it was gospel.

It's basically heretical new age blather
about getting in touch with your "Christ Self" and
other nonsense.

Some people say it has helped them with depression, etc.
But it's based on a heretical premise.

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
  #3  
Old Apr 11, '08, 8:20 pm
catheflower catheflower is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 4, 2008
Posts: 61
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

ACIM was once called "Satan's Mockbible". Let's pray for your wife's friend.

ACIM's author died in the midst of a deep depression. Brought on by demonic oppression? It's possible.

EWTN's articles are fantastic. Amazon dot com also has some excellent negative reviews of the book. There's even one lady's experience w/ ACIM making her depression worse- I hope it is still posted.

In Christ,
Cathe
  #4  
Old May 12, '09, 9:49 pm
Angie Baskin Angie Baskin is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 12, 2009
Posts: 44
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

I believe that many of "a course in Miracles"quotes have been taken out of context. A grave mistake! This course needs to be read with an open mind (all be it a discerning attitude). Rather than discounting the Bible, it actually reinforces it along with putting light on areas that 'made no sense' before. So many beliefs make sense with this new interpretation of the word. It is the only interpretation that answers ALL QUESTIONS and explains (with sense) ALL MOTIVATION. We would be small minded in truth if we dismissed this revelation from Jesus. And why would it not be from Jesus as it is claimed?? Everything said alines with Jesus Bible teaching. If you strip away the politics and rivalries that changed interpretation of different passages in the bible, you would see that this is true. And TRUTH has a certain ring. It cuts to the core. Don't be disceived by the small minded. GOD is greater and bigger than anything we can imagine. To put Him into our tiny little boxes of understanding would be false belief. What everyone forgets is that God created us in His image. That means - eternal spirit/ perfect & sinless. If God could create anything that can sin He would not be God. And Jesus is said to be the 1st of many brothers. That means we, who come after, are just like Him and part of a Sonship of Christ. That is why Jesus said that greater things we would do in Christ's name then He. I suggest you read 'a course in miracles' before you pass judgement. And remember, it wasn't long ago the the accepted church belief was that the earth was flat.
  #5  
Old May 12, '09, 9:54 pm
jam070406 jam070406 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 20, 2007
Posts: 4,425
Religion: No Elephant In The Living Room Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

http://www.newagescam.com/

Sharon Lee Giganti did a few shows on Catholic Answers Live about the dangers and deceptions of A Course In Miracles. It's New Age Occultism.

Not good! Avoid it!
  #6  
Old May 13, '09, 1:24 pm
Cluny Cluny is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 14, 2008
Posts: 2,365
Religion: Other
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

1. CIM was delivered by automatic writing, a technique expressly condemned by the Church.

2. I opened it up at random one day, and the first thing I read was (somthing to this effect) "The Son of God [who is not Jesus, as I've later read] can not only deceive, but himself be deceived."
  #7  
Old May 13, '09, 5:28 pm
Angie Baskin Angie Baskin is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 12, 2009
Posts: 44
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

I respectfully took your advise and looked up Sharon & what she experienced. (I had no previous knowledge of her or other cellebrities involvment prior to this web search). Firstly, just the fact that she was involved with promoting 'the course' in such a public forum (as does Oprah) puts doubt on her/their interpretation of what is taught in the course & therefore on what they are teaching 'their puples'. The course proclaims to be JUST a thought system denouncing proclaimation style preaching to further it's spread. It is NOT a new age religion (though some would like it to become so). It certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentense as 'The Secret' or other such fad new age themes. I find it in no way NEW AGE?? If anything it reinforces the NEW TESTIMENT. (I suppose the Jews of Biblical times labeled Jesus teachings as NEW AGE). What I find, is the course looks from an 'eternal - Hevenly' view point and it's critics are judging merely from an 'finite - earthly' point of view. Unless we consider man's plith from God's point of view, we will continue to believe that our religious belief justifies attack. Jesus came to show us (EVERYONE) the way. 'Love God' he said, "Love one another as I have loved you" and "What ever you do to the LEAST of my brothers you DO TO ME". (by the way, our brothers are EVERYONE in the world NOT JUST CATHOLICS, but Muslems/Evangelicals/Atheists/Murderers/Abortionists/ Nazis/HomoSexuals/ etc/etc/)Apply these 2 commands, approach everything (including doctrines) HUMBLELY and with the Holy Spirit's discernment & understanding, give ALL glory to God, and you will NEVER be led astray. This IS the promise of "Seek & you SHALL FIND". This IS the only message (so far) I have received from the course (I'm 1/4 through). It teaches God as Creator, The Holy Trinity, Jesus - Christ Risen, Communion of Saints and the giving of the Holy Spirit for our further instruction. I have prayed and received no instruction from the Holy Spirit to discontinue, and have only positive encouraging experiences to report. I will continue to approach this course with discernment and if I sense it going some other place other than to the real Jesus and God, I know (as in the past) the Holy Spirit will surly & clearly, show me the way. Thankyou for you genuine concern
  #8  
Old May 13, '09, 5:54 pm
jam070406 jam070406 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 20, 2007
Posts: 4,425
Religion: No Elephant In The Living Room Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Baskin View Post
I respectfully took your advise and looked up Sharon & what she experienced. (I had no previous knowledge of her or other cellebrities involvment prior to this web search). Firstly, just the fact that she was involved with promoting 'the course' in such a public forum (as does Oprah) puts doubt on her/their interpretation of what is taught in the course & therefore on what they are teaching 'their puples'. The course proclaims to be JUST a thought system denouncing proclaimation style preaching to further it's spread. It is NOT a new age religion (though some would like it to become so). It certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentense as 'The Secret' or other such fad new age themes. I find it in no way NEW AGE?? If anything it reinforces the NEW TESTIMENT. (I suppose the Jews of Biblical times labeled Jesus teachings as NEW AGE). What I find, is the course looks from an 'eternal - Hevenly' view point and it's critics are judging merely from an 'finite - earthly' point of view. Unless we consider man's plith from God's point of view, we will continue to believe that our religious belief justifies attack. Jesus came to show us (EVERYONE) the way. 'Love God' he said, "Love one another as I have loved you" and "What ever you do to the LEAST of my brothers you DO TO ME". (by the way, our brothers are EVERYONE in the world NOT JUST CATHOLICS, but Muslems/Evangelicals/Atheists/Murderers/Abortionists/ Nazis/HomoSexuals/ etc/etc/)Apply these 2 commands, approach everything (including doctrines) HUMBLELY and with the Holy Spirit's discernment & understanding, give ALL glory to God, and you will NEVER be led astray. This IS the promise of "Seek & you SHALL FIND". This IS the only message (so far) I have received from the course (I'm 1/4 through). It teaches God as Creator, The Holy Trinity, Jesus - Christ Risen, Communion of Saints and the giving of the Holy Spirit for our further instruction. I have prayed and received no instruction from the Holy Spirit to discontinue, and have only positive encouraging experiences to report. I will continue to approach this course with discernment and if I sense it going some other place other than to the real Jesus and God, I know (as in the past) the Holy Spirit will surly & clearly, show me the way. Thankyou for you genuine concern
Yes, it's New Age. Sharon would know. She taught it! (before she converted) I believe, those teachings were channeled through a medium. Perhaps you could find her talks in Catholic Answer live archive. She did about 3 shows on it because that's how spiritually dangerous she feels it is. I HIGHLY recommend you listen to those talks.

Last edited by jam070406; May 13, '09 at 6:01 pm. Reason: add further info.
  #9  
Old May 13, '09, 6:03 pm
Angie Baskin Angie Baskin is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 12, 2009
Posts: 44
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

CIM was NOT delivered by automatic writing! It was a different voice within the mind of the scrib telling her things she did not previously know (she was originally an Atheist). You may find similar concourse in the Bible with Abraham and Isaiah as well as some New Testiment Prophets. Are you saying that these too were automatic writing and condemned by the Church?? She started writing down what she heard (URTEXT - an interesting read with the author wanting to use certain words and the Inspirational Voice insisting on another for all the right reasons). It was only as the dictation proceeded that the voice was revealed as Jesus, and this only through recognition. What I HAVE found is that to open this book up and read anything at random (OUT OF CONTEXT) is the worse thing anyone can do and is bound to give wrong interpretation. I found that it had to be read page by page with thought and discernment. When I did come to areas that blew my mind and previous belief, I found that by reading just a little further and all would come to light and that my first reation was in fact wrong and that I had misunderstood what was being said. I would say you are not READY for this course or you would have started at the begining. As for the misquote you quoted. NO WHERE does it say that Jesus is not the Son of God. In fact it is constantly refering to Jesus AS The Son of God created in God's image and part of the Holy Trinity along with the Holy Spirit. As far as the 'deceived & deceiving"business, that was refering the the Son of Man. THAT'S US! we can be deceived. I don't know what you read or thought you read but it wasn't what I'm reading.
  #10  
Old May 13, '09, 6:09 pm
jam070406 jam070406 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 20, 2007
Posts: 4,425
Religion: No Elephant In The Living Room Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

The teachings of A Course in Miracles contradict Holy Scripture, Tradition, and Authentic Catholic Teaching; claiming that: Jesus was NOT God, the devil does not exist, and there's no such thing as evil, or sin especially original sin, as the Course teaches that man's fall from Grace in the Garden of Eden never happened--- (preface, pg. xiii) and that Holy Scripture cannot be trusted, as Christ's apostles misinterpreted his message and taught in error. (text pgs. 94 & 95) These false tenets alone clearly show that the channeled spirit who wrote them, while claiming to be Jesus, is in fact, a counterfeit Christ.

http://www.newagescam.com/resources.html
  #11  
Old May 13, '09, 6:39 pm
Angie Baskin Angie Baskin is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 12, 2009
Posts: 44
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

RE: Jam -

NEW AGE??!! What exactly is that??!! Are we to say that anything received spiritually after Jesus's day is NEW AGE. Would you consider Vatican 11 as NEW AGE?? I know some very traditional thinking Catholics would. I agree that many things out there now are off beam regarding critical New Testiment teaching, but to condemn ALL inspiration as NEW AGE means that if Jesus DID actually speak directly to someone TODAY, it would be label/ drawn/ quartered & CRUCIFIED. (does that ring any bells). I have no doubt, by her own testimony, that WHAT Sharon taught WAS New Age but it WASN'T ACIM. This is becoming more & MORE obvious. Sharon was of no religion prior and converting to Catholicizm does not make ACIM invalid because eccential Catholic belief does not conflict with ACIM. I suppose being a Catholic first, gives me years advantage because I can see all the reinforcment to basic scripture. A Catholic theologen said once that if the average Catholic sat in on one of their brain storming meetings, they would be horrified with what was discussed. And that many things determind as THE TRUTH never go further than those walls because it would cause Catholic meltdown at all sorts of levels. Vatican 11 was the product of many of such meetings and the meltdown is still being felt by many well meaning traditional style Catholics. Don't be too hasty in dismissing new thought & shove into the NEW AGE box. You may miss something significant.
  #12  
Old May 13, '09, 6:49 pm
jam070406 jam070406 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 20, 2007
Posts: 4,425
Religion: No Elephant In The Living Room Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Baskin View Post
RE: Jam -

NEW AGE??!! What exactly is that??!! Are we to say that anything received spiritually after Jesus's day is NEW AGE. Would you consider Vatican 11 as NEW AGE?? I know some very traditional thinking Catholics would. I agree that many things out there now are off beam regarding critical New Testiment teaching, but to condemn ALL inspiration as NEW AGE means that if Jesus DID actually speak directly to someone TODAY, it would be label/ drawn/ quartered & CRUCIFIED. (does that ring any bells). I have no doubt, by her own testimony, that WHAT Sharon taught WAS New Age but it WASN'T ACIM. This is becoming more & MORE obvious. Sharon was of no religion prior and converting to Catholicizm does not make ACIM invalid because eccential Catholic belief does not conflict with ACIM. I suppose being a Catholic first, gives me years advantage because I can see all the reinforcment to basic scripture. A Catholic theologen said once that if the average Catholic sat in on one of their brain storming meetings, they would be horrified with what was discussed. And that many things determind as THE TRUTH never go further than those walls because it would cause Catholic meltdown at all sorts of levels. Vatican 11 was the product of many of such meetings and the meltdown is still being felt by many well meaning traditional style Catholics. Don't be too hasty in dismissing new thought & shove into the NEW AGE box. You may miss something significant.
Angie,
No, I have all I need in The Church, The Bible & the sacraments. And so do you!
The teaching of ACIM is in-line with New Age religious thought.

Read this document:
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/po...ew-age_en.html

The fact that you are getting so upset and feel the need to defend it should be a red flag to you.
I'm just trying to help you and show you,
Sharon Lee Giganti has drug it out into the light.
Not to sound mean, but If you continue on with it, consider yourself warned.
  #13  
Old May 13, '09, 6:58 pm
ricko ricko is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 17, 2006
Posts: 1,600
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

Whatever you want to call it, it is NOT based on scripture and it is against the teachings of the Catholic Church. Anyone who believes in this course should re-examine their beliefs as it is loaded with false teachings.


The Church teaches that there is no more public revelation and for good reason. Otherwise every Tom, Dick and Harry would be having revelations of their own personal beliefs and trying to pawn them off as coming from Jesus.

There are no new revelations coming from heaven, anyone proclaiming such or believing in those revelations is asking for trouble.

The fact that Oprah Winfrey and Shirley MacLaine are in on it should raise a lot of red flags and several bells and whistles.
__________________
RICK
  #14  
Old May 13, '09, 7:21 pm
Angie Baskin Angie Baskin is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 12, 2009
Posts: 44
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

RE jam. Again! you are looking at it from an earthly point of view. NOWHERE does it claim that Jesus is not God. It not declares Him a God but as also one with the Father in the Holy Trinity. Jesus said the battlefield is in the mind. ACIM states that from an EARTHLY point of view there definately is original sin that man DID fall from grace that there IS a devil (how ever you perceive it to be). But the whole idea of ACIM is to start perceiving from a HEVENLY point of view. From a hevenly view point, we are the perfect creations of God made in His image (think about that) and Jesus was the first of many. (think about that). To say that the Biblical account of anything is JUST AS IT OCCURED is nieve. How do you think the account of Genisis came to be?? Did the scribe in this situation write down what was said in his mind (inspiration) or would you say it was automatic writing and therefore invalid?? What about the quarrals between the apostles and Paul as to whose interpretations of Jesus teaching were correct?? Paul (who had a soldiers background) won out and he didn't even know Jesus personally. The apostles that did know Him, their interpretations were relagated to only 4 gospels that seemed to corrilate. All other writings were thrown out. What about the recently discovered gospel of Thomas?? He was consided one of Jesus closest followers. THAT gospel (still in its original style text - not narrative) should be at least considered to be possibly THE most authentic text today, but because it includes (along with many of the same sayings as in the 4 gospels) statments by Jesus directly to him and not to the group, it is held in suspicition even accused as HERESY. How could this be if it IS true. I suppose only Jesus and Thomas really know. But what a loss if it IS the truest of all the gospels.
  #15  
Old May 13, '09, 7:26 pm
jam070406 jam070406 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 20, 2007
Posts: 4,425
Religion: No Elephant In The Living Room Catholic
Default Re: A Course in Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Baskin View Post
RE jam. Again! you are looking at it from an earthly point of view. NOWHERE does it claim that Jesus is not God. It not declares Him a God but as also one with the Father in the Holy Trinity. Jesus said the battlefield is in the mind. ACIM states that from an EARTHLY point of view there definately is original sin that man DID fall from grace that there IS a devil (how ever you perceive it to be). But the whole idea of ACIM is to start perceiving from a HEVENLY point of view. From a hevenly view point, we are the perfect creations of God made in His image (think about that) and Jesus was the first of many. (think about that). To say that the Biblical account of anything is JUST AS IT OCCURED is nieve. How do you think the account of Genisis came to be?? Did the scribe in this situation write down what was said in his mind (inspiration) or would you say it was automatic writing and therefore invalid?? What about the quarrals between the apostles and Paul as to whose interpretations of Jesus teaching were correct?? Paul (who had a soldiers background) won out and he didn't even know Jesus personally. The apostles that did know Him, their interpretations were relagated to only 4 gospels that seemed to corrilate. All other writings were thrown out. What about the recently discovered gospel of Thomas?? He was consided one of Jesus closest followers. THAT gospel (still in its original style text - not narrative) should be at least considered to be possibly THE most authentic text today, but because it includes (along with many of the same sayings as in the 4 gospels) statments by Jesus directly to him and not to the group, it is held in suspicition even accused as HERESY. How could this be if it IS true. I suppose only Jesus and Thomas really know. But what a loss if it IS the truest of all the gospels.
Uuuum, did you just glaze over ricko's post?
I think he just answered all this before you even posted.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need some stories of miracles Sugar Ray Apologetics 18 Sep 7, '10 10:02 am
MIRACLES (proving God's existence) davidmammola Apologetics 43 May 18, '09 10:41 am
Can someone help explain Eucharistic miracles? papaspicy Apologetics 8 Nov 14, '06 10:31 am
Miracles of the Saints - Protestant reaction? theguidedheart Non-Catholic Religions 106 Oct 21, '06 6:46 pm



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8020Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Butterflylily
4812CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4282Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3809SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3356Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3178Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: CountrySteve
3142Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
2954For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: libralion
2672Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:00 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.