Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 27, '07, 10:42 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Denise Shae
Angry Anything for a buck

Someone sent me a link to the "California Catholic Daily".

Headline:
Quote:
"Anything For a Buck"

"California company selling “holy drinking water” blessed by “a priest, churchman, clergyman, cleric, curate, divine, ecclesiastic, elder, father, friar, holy man, lama, monk, padre, pontiff, preacher, rabbi, rector, sky pilot, or vicar”

“Holy Drinking Water” is now on sale at Rinaldi’s Market in the tiny San Joaquin County community of Linden – and soon may be available at a store near you.

Each half-ounce bottle sells for 99 cents and carries a “Warning to sinners,” which reads: “If you are a sinner or evil in nature, this product may cause burning, intense heat, sweating, skin irritation, rashes, itchiness, vomiting, bloodshot and water eyes, pale skin color, and oral irritations.”

News of Holy Drinking Water, says Wayne Enterprises, has spread to New York, Rhode Island, Texas, Canada, and Israel. Thirty-three cases have been donated to U.S. troops in Iraq. (The website asks for donations for this “pious” endeavor.)
..."
At first, I thought it was a sick joke. Has anyone else seen/heard of this abominable practice? Is there anything that can be done to stop it? It's absolutely appalling.

I was thinking about printing it out and showing my pastor. I think people should be made aware of what this company is doing and that it's not something the Church condones.

God Bless!

Denise
Old Jan 27, '07, 7:09 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Selling of "Holy Drinking Water" - Sin of Simony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Shae View Post
Someone sent me a link to the "California Catholic Daily".

Headline:

At first, I thought it was a sick joke. Has anyone else seen/heard of this abominable practice? Is there anything that can be done to stop it? It's absolutely appalling.

I was thinking about printing it out and showing my pastor. I think people should be made aware of what this company is doing and that it's not something the Church condones.

God Bless!
If this is true then yes I believe it is simony.
Old Dec 9, '07, 9:24 am

Here is an update on this topic from Newsweek.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/74380

"Drinking Water, produced by a California-based company called Wayne Enterprises, is blessed in the warehouse by an Anglican or Roman Catholic priest (after a thorough background check). Like a crucifix or a rosary, a bottle of Holy Drinking Water is a daily reminder to be kind to others, says Brian Germann, Wayne's CEO. Another company makes Liquid OM, superpurified bottled water containing vibrations that promote a positive outlook. Invented by Kenny Mazursky, a sound therapist in Chicago, the water purportedly possesses an energy field that Mazursky makes by striking a giant gong and Tibetan bowls in its vicinity. He says the good energy can be felt not just after you drink the water but before, when you're holding the bottle."

This is a sad mix of new age mysticism and greed. I'll bet they need a thorough background check on their priests to be sure they are NOT orthodox! How could any priest think this is acceptable!

What really drove me nuts was that the objections they have received from the the Franciscan Sisters of Little Falls, Minn. together with a community of Benedictine nuns was about the selling of water. Not the concept of selling "holy water", not the idea of using religion to sell "blessed" water but the environmental issue of selling water at all and in plastic containers!
Old Dec 9, '07, 9:43 am
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Romanian Byzantine Catholic

Just as a rosary can not be blessed prior to sale I believe that water or other items blessed prior to sale are not truly blessed. So in this case it is just more expensive bottled water.

A priest once told me that if you wanted to drink Holy Water that is ok. But all you need to do is put one drop of the free Holy Water at your parish into the water that you drink.

Once you have purchased an item for your use or as a gift you can then have it blessed. So even when you purchase a rosary that was blessed by the Pope it had to be blessed after you purchased it. I have one of these.
James 4:17
Old Dec 11, '07, 8:48 pm
Radio Club Member

Angry Holy Water blessed by Catholic or Anglican priests for sale

http://www.newsweek.com/id/74380/index.html

From the article:

Quote:
Holy Drinking Water, produced by a California-based company called Wayne Enterprises, is blessed in the warehouse by an Anglican or Roman Catholic priest (after a thorough background check).
Can't believe a Catholic priest would knowingly take part in this. Isn't it forbidden to sell blessings?
Old Dec 12, '07, 8:07 am

Default Re: Holy Water blessed by Catholic or Anglican priests for sale

Are Anglican and Catholic priests ACTUALLY blessing the water, or is a website just saying that they are? Anyone who knows anything about blessings knows that as soon as you sell the item, whammo! blessing is gone. Have to re bless it.

Who knows, maybe these people drove a fire truck up to the nearest parish and had the priest bless it, then bottled it and are now selling it?
Old Dec 12, '07, 8:15 am
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelations View Post
Are Anglican and Catholic priests ACTUALLY blessing the water, or is a website just saying that they are? Anyone who knows anything about blessings knows that as soon as you sell the item, whammo! blessing is gone. Have to re bless it.

Who knows, maybe these people drove a fire truck up to the nearest parish and had the priest bless it, then bottled it and are now selling it?
Tough to verify, but they are advertising on their website for priests to bless the water. And they stress: "All participant's information is kept highly confidential." So I imagine that someone is actually blessing the water. The more pertinent question would be whether the priests involved are paid for their "services." In my opinion that would be the much larger scandal.
Old Dec 12, '07, 8:28 am

Simony (the selling of sacred objects) is strictly forbidden; and the Church has ruled that any sacramental which is sold automatically loses its blessing; so whoever buys the "blessed" water is just getting plain old water with a pinch of salt in it, with no more sacred nature to it than a glass of tap water.
Old Dec 12, '07, 10:56 am

From the site, under "blessing". All water is blessed by one of the following:

I put in my application as a churchman.
Old Dec 12, '07, 11:31 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Was that site designed by a 10 year old? Sorry - most 10 year olds could probably do a better job. This is just a massive crock of garbage. I'd be surprised if they sell anything.

~Liza
Old Dec 12, '07, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by childofmary1143 View Post
If this is true then yes I believe it is simony.
Unlikely, as lama, rabbi or "sky pilot" are not recognized Catholic ecclesial offices, and while pontiff is, I'm pretty sure the Holy Father has nothing to do with this. I'd say it's just a tasteless marketing hoax.
Old Dec 12, '07, 7:22 pm
Banned

Religion: Lifelong Cradle Catholic

I also saw that in Newsweek. It looks like a marketing gimmick in really poor taste.
Old Dec 13, '07, 7:47 am

I've seen stuff like this before. Usually the sites claim that they're just selling the bottle; the water itself is free.

><>
Old Dec 13, '07, 1:47 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic (Latin Rite)

The website says it might be blessed by a lama (Buddhist monk) or a Rabbi. So according to this, you could either receive a of water blessed by a Catholic Priest, or one blessed by a Buddhist monk.

Also, it says a friar might bless it. A quick question, is a member of a religious order that is not ordained, such as a brother, allowed to bless water to make it holy water?

And I love the warning: "Warning to sinners: If you are a sinner or evil in nature, this product may cause burning, intense heat, sweating, skin irritations, rashes, itchiness, vomiting, bloodshot and watery eyes, pale skin color, and oral irritations."

Come on, we are all sinners. If this truly does this to sinners, perhaps we have an attempt at genocide from these people.
Old Dec 13, '07, 6:37 pm

Religion: catholic

any article that has been blest, loses the blessing if articles are sold/

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News