Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 12, '07, 11:14 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Christmas Decorations

Ok, I know people have discussed this question before, but I need concrete sources as answers. When is it acceptable for catholics to put up trees and decorations for Christmas according to the Catholic Church?

Old Dec 13, '07, 3:51 am
Banned

Default Re: Christmas Decorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by migurl View Post
Ok, I know people have discussed this question before, but I need concrete sources as answers. When is it acceptable for catholics to put up trees and decorations for Christmas according to the Catholic Church?
The church does not say. It is at your discretion when to start decorating
Old Dec 13, '07, 3:51 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
The Church has no rules about this. Even in churches they do it differently. We wil put up the wreaths and trees in church by the end of next week, but they don't get lit until Christams Eve. The flowers don't go out until Christmas Eve. At home I don't decorate until Gaudate Sunday...however my husband asked me if we have become Jewish since we are the only house on the block without Christmas lights and decorations. Many families wait until Christmas Eve to put up the tree. We are doing it when my eldest DD comes home from California on the 20th.
Old Dec 13, '07, 4:09 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
the Church does not have any position on how or when Catholics decorate their home. Catholics who observe the liturgical seasons celebrate Advent in for the 4 weeks preceeding Christmas, with Advent wreath and various prayers and practices intended to foster penance and hopeful anticipation. The put up decorations, bake, shop and other activities in preparation for the Holy Day in that same spirit, and according to the needs of their families.

If you are asking about decorating the Church, the colors proper to the liturgical seasons must be observed, Advent and Lent as penitential seasons means decorations and flowers are absent or limited. For practical reasons it may be necessary to put up trees (if used) before the 4rd Sunday of Advent so workers do not disrupt Sunday Masses, the the actual lights would not be turned on until that evening or later, and poinsettias and other flowers not brought in until then. The empty stable would be appropriate for the 4th Sunday of Advent (again, if necessary to erect it early because of the schedule of the workers). But Mary and Joseph would not appear until Christmas eve and of course the Babe for the anticipated Masses that day.
Old Dec 13, '07, 4:22 am

Our church has an advent wreath and a Christmon tree now. We will put up the stable on the 4th Sunday of Advent. All the rest of the decorations go up as soon as we can get them up before Christmas Eve.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments