Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 13, '07, 7:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Do the dead "see" us

Is it written in Scripture that the dead can see us, know what we're doing etc? If so, and they are in Heaven can they experience pride or disappointment in what they see us doing?

Thanks for this forum.
Old Dec 13, '07, 1:37 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Lightbulb Re: Do the dead "see" us

Yes. In fact the faithful departed are made aware of us by God's will and power.

Check this out. The Intercession & Communion of Saints

Old Dec 13, '07, 2:37 pm
Banned

Religion: undecided
Default Re: Do the dead "see" us

where is my tinfoil hat?
Old Dec 13, '07, 7:13 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Marsh View Post
where is my tinfoil hat?
ooh...sorry, i just used it to cook some chicken...
Old Dec 13, '07, 9:59 pm
Forum Supporter

Heb. 12:1 - we are surrounded by a great glory cloud (shekinah) of witnesses, our family in heaven. We are not separated. The “cloud of witnesses” (nephos marturon) refers to a great amphitheatre with the arena for the runners (us on earth), and many tiers of seats occupied by the saints (in heaven) rising up like a cloud. The “martures” are not mere spectators (“theatai”), but testifiers (witnesses) who testify from their own experience to God’s promises and cheer us on in our race to heaven. They are no less than our family in heaven.

Eph. - 2:19 So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God,
Old Dec 14, '07, 6:24 am

Thanks CM & RO,

What started this entire thread is a dear friend is genuinely concerned that her beloved may be seeing her here on earth and she'd hate to be a disappoointment to them.
Knowing Heaven is a place for eternal joy, might the beloved in Heaven be unhappy/sad/disappointed in us ?

Seems contradictory to be in a place of happiness yet can they be sad for what they see us doing?

Comments
Old Dec 14, '07, 10:15 am

I learned in a management psychology class some years ago that a good manager praises the good stuff and corrects procedure, but does not comment on weakness or mistakes. In my experience it worked well in practice as well. People tried harder and were not discouraged by relatively minor mistakes and mis-steps. I like to think of my departed friends and relatives of cheering us on for the good stuff and not being disappointed in the bad.
Old Dec 15, '07, 2:03 pm
Banned

Why would the dead in Christ want to look at us when they can behold the glory of the Living God?

Matthew
Old Dec 15, '07, 2:18 pm
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeanette L

Quote:
Originally Posted by drafdog View Post
Why would the dead in Christ want to look at us when they can behold the glory of the Living God?

Matthew
My thoughts as to why they would want to be witnesses to our continued race, well simply because Christ himself is in us. And He's working through us. It is part of the miracle of the redemption of the whole Body of Christ and the ultimate redemption of creation. And to be a witness to it even causes the angels to stand in awe.

I can't wait to be a participant in this awsome event on the other side.

And I don't see those who have made it to the presence of Christ as "dead" in Christ, but alive in Christ, just temporarily without their risen earthly bodies.

HOLY MARY PRAY FOR US
...If we believe in the Virgin Birth and in our Lord's Human Nature...there is only one source for it...'He's His Mother's Son'. CS Lewis
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '06
Old Dec 15, '07, 4:40 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S View Post
Thanks CM & RO,

What started this entire thread is a dear friend is genuinely concerned that her beloved may be seeing her here on earth and she'd hate to be a disappoointment to them.
Knowing Heaven is a place for eternal joy, might the beloved in Heaven be unhappy/sad/disappointed in us ?

Seems contradictory to be in a place of happiness yet can they be sad for what they see us doing?

Comments
Quote:
I know I'm taking this Scripture somewhat out of context, but I'm using it more as an example of the relationship of Jesus, us, and the saints. If we think of us as the less presentable parts, and the saints as the more presentable parts of Jesus' body, we see how connected we really are.

(1 Cor12:20-27)
But as it is, there are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, "I do not need you," nor again the head to the feet, "I do not need you." Indeed, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are all the more necessary, and those parts of the body that we consider less honorable we surround with greater honor, and our less presentable parts are treated with greater propriety, whereas our more presentable parts do not need this. But God has so constructed the body as to give greater honor to a part that is without it, so that there may be no division in the body, but that the parts may have the same concern for one another. If (one) part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part is honored, all the parts share its joy. Now you are Christ's body, and individually parts of it.

Peace,

Ryan
Old Dec 15, '07, 5:03 pm
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeanette L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanoneil View Post
I know I'm taking this Scripture somewhat out of context, but I'm using it more as an example of the relationship of Jesus, us, and the saints. If we think of us as the less presentable parts, and the saints as the more presentable parts of Jesus' body, we see how connected we really are.

(1 Cor12:20-27)
But as it is, there are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, "I do not need you," nor again the head to the feet, "I do not need you." Indeed, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are all the more necessary, and those parts of the body that we consider less honorable we surround with greater honor, and our less presentable parts are treated with greater propriety, whereas our more presentable parts do not need this. But God has so constructed the body as to give greater honor to a part that is without it, so that there may be no division in the body, but that the parts may have the same concern for one another. If (one) part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part is honored, all the parts share its joy. Now you are Christ's body, and individually parts of it.

Peace,

Ryan

I cannot for the life of me see how you are taking that out of context. It seems that St. Paul is being very clear about his meaning and it is a great example of all of us sharing in the redemptive process of each other through Christ.

HOLY MARY PRAY FOR US
...If we believe in the Virgin Birth and in our Lord's Human Nature...there is only one source for it...'He's His Mother's Son'. CS Lewis
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '06
Old Dec 15, '07, 5:59 pm

Religion: You will know it from my posts

It depends upon what you mean by "dead".

In Ecclesiastes 9:4 it is written, "Indeed, for any among the living there is hope; a live dog is better off than a dead lion. For the living know that they are to die, but the dead no longer know anything. There is no recompense for them because all memory of them is lost.". That is death as applied to animals, meaning, of the physical body. The physical body would not see or hear anything when dead.

But the "dead' who during his life "did the will of God", he shall "abide forever." (1 John 2:17). The promise to them was fulfilled, that they will be like his teacher.(Luke 6:40). Jesus, the teacher, could see each of us now. In the same way, those who were perfected could also see each of us now. That is "dead" as applied to saints.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture