Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 16, '07, 10:49 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Disposal of soiled Holy Water..

I know that Holy Water is a sacramental (like a rosary, or a scapular).. and not a Sacrament. So, I'm not sure if I can ask this here. Hope so.

Does anyone know.. what is the proper way of disposing of old Holy Water? We use it on a daily basis, in our home.. and the fonts and the water tend to become cloudy and dirty.. I guess, from the oil in our hands (ick). I would like to change it more often. Appreciate your input. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, '07, 11:00 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Disposal of soiled Holy Water..

Pour it into the ground in an area where animals won't dig, etc. Do you have a flower garden somewhere? I have an area of my yard were I grow lilies, and the animals pretty much leave it alone, due to the dense vegetation there. I wash the altar linens from church, and when I pour out the water that I used to wash out the precious blood, I pour it into my lily garden.

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog
Old Dec 16, '07, 10:19 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof4 View Post
Pour it into the ground in an area where animals won't dig, etc. Do you have a flower garden somewhere? I have an area of my yard were I grow lilies, and the animals pretty much leave it alone, due to the dense vegetation there. I wash the altar linens from church, and when I pour out the water that I used to wash out the precious blood, I pour it into my lily garden.
The proper way to wash altar cloths, is to have the one who is qualified to purify the chalices etc.(priest, deacon or acolyte)..rinse the altar cloths in water before they are washed, but the water should be collected and poured down the sacrarium...the special sink that is in all sacrisities of a church....whereby the water goes under the church....and is not desecrated.For purificators and corporals, the precaution is taken of washing them first in water and then pouring the water into the sacrarium or into the earth. The reason is that if there should be any particles of the sacred host or drops of the precious blood on either, they are not just poured into the sewer. Then the altar cloths can be washed in a washing machine.
Old Dec 17, '07, 4:15 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbruno View Post
The proper way to wash altar cloths, is to have the one who is qualified to purify the chalices etc.(priest, deacon or acolyte)..rinse the altar cloths in water before they are washed, but the water should be collected and poured down the sacrarium...the special sink that is in all sacrisities of a church....whereby the water goes under the church....and is not desecrated.For purificators and corporals, the precaution is taken of washing them first in water and then pouring the water into the sacrarium or into the earth. The reason is that if there should be any particles of the sacred host or drops of the precious blood on either, they are not just poured into the sewer. Then the altar cloths can be washed in a washing machine.
This is how my priest told me to do it.

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog
Old Dec 17, '07, 4:57 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

pour it on the ground outside, on God's good clean earth, not on the pavement, or on your houseplants.

keep your fonts and bottles clean by soaking in a bleach solution (1T clorox to a half gallon of water) and letting them dry. if the rest of the font would be damaged by bleach, pour a bit of this solution in the bowl and let it sit.

add a pinch of salt to the water bottle and to the bowl when you fill it to avoid the green, scummy stuff. clean the font where you dip your fingers at least weekly.
Old Dec 17, '07, 8:31 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

We have a very tiny font. One finger dipping only! LOL The water is either used up or evaporates quickly enough that I don't worry about scum forming.
Old Jan 2, '08, 2:46 pm

Religion: Catholic

I really don't use holy water unless I go to church and mak the sign of the cross when I go in and when I leave. I don't think that it is a necessity to live holy lives.
Old Jul 19, '08, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgirl4ever View Post
I really don't use holy water unless I go to church and mak the sign of the cross when I go in and when I leave. I don't think that it is a necessity to live holy lives.
If you have a notion that the Church has its sacramentals to help us live holy lives and not as mere symbolism, then you should reconsider the neccesity of holy water.
Old Jul 20, '08, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgirl4ever View Post

You're missing out on a very useful sacramental used by many holy people throughout church history.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments