Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 16, '07, 7:11 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Mediums?

I was watching a show tonight and there were mediums on it. I dont mean the kind that can tell fortunes and stuff but people who can actually connect with and see dead people. What does the Catholic Church say about this? Is it a gift given by God?
Old Dec 16, '07, 7:48 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Mediums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewC View Post
I was watching a show tonight and there were mediums on it. I dont mean the kind that can tell fortunes and stuff but people who can actually connect with and see dead people. What does the Catholic Church say about this?
They exist and it is sinful to use them to contact the dead.

Quote:
Is it a gift given by God?
No.
Old Dec 16, '07, 9:05 pm

Sir Knight,

I kind of disagree with your statement about it not being a gift from God. God works in mysterious ways and Im sure this gift could be used to pray for souls. Let us not forget that many of the saints have seen the dead before.
Old Dec 16, '07, 9:50 pm

Quote:
I was watching a show tonight and there were mediums on it. I dont mean the kind that can tell fortunes and stuff but people who can actually connect with and see dead people. What does the Catholic Church say about this? Is it a gift given by God?
CCC2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to 'unveil' the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.
Old Dec 17, '07, 12:18 pm

There is a story about Padre Pio that I recall. An Italian nobleman went to seances and Padre Pio told him not to go. Then one time the nobleman went again, this time just to sit along the wall without getting invoved. As soon as Padre Pio saw him, he rebuked the man, saying that he had been consorting with the devil.
Old Dec 17, '07, 12:34 pm

I am thinking that "seeing the dead" and being a medium are not directly equal to one another. People do see ghosts from time to time. That does not make them a medium. Usually they have made no particular effort to contact the dead, nor do they seem to have an ability to see beyond a particular person or so. One example might be the person who does not "see" but senses the presence of someone particularly beloved. Happens all the time.
Old Dec 17, '07, 1:02 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoehmke View Post
Happens all the time.
Never happened to me.
Old Dec 17, '07, 1:56 pm

I realize that I do not understand what you mean by connecting with dead people. Does this have anything to do with mediums and seances?

Quote:
Old Dec 17, '07, 3:01 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
there are no such people, they are frauds, appearing on commercial TV to sell a product and to make money themselves. If you want to "connect with the dead" pray for the repose of their souls.
Old Dec 17, '07, 8:21 pm

I do not seek any type of "connection" like communicating with them other than to pray to the faithfully departed and to have them pray for me. I was just asking if being able to sense the dead around you is a gift from God. I can understand actually seeking out someone to talk to the dead and have them talk back would be sinful and would never do it. Like I say I was watching a show with people that had gifts to sense dead people around them and I have myself felt evil prescences before one time at a someone I know house who is into drugs and drinking. I actually did feel evil in that house. So I dont think that its out of the question for people to be able to sense things or people who have departed this world. I pray I never feel that sense of evil I felt in his house that day.

I was watching a show called paranormal state and watched it two nights in a row and will never watch it agian, It delt with demons and I want no part of that but at the same time it was kind of intresting. Now Im a very scrupulos person, was it a sin to be intrested by this? I will never watch that show agian and I hate evil spirits. I love God with all my heart and soul.
Old Dec 17, '07, 8:35 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
I kind of disagree with your statement about it not being a gift from God. God works in mysterious ways and Im sure this gift could be used to pray for souls. Let us not forget that many of the saints have seen the dead before.
The Saints did not ask or seek to see the dead. God blessed them with various visions.

Quote:
I was just asking if being able to sense the dead around you is a gift from God. Like I say I was watching a show with people that had gifts to sense dead people around them and I have myself felt evil presences before one time at a someone I know house who is into drugs and drinking. I actually did feel evil in that house.

I was watching a show called paranormal state, It delt with demons and I want no part of that but at the same time it was kind of intresting. Now was it a sin to be intrested by this?
I don't think you sinned by watching that show, although it may be prudent to follow your resolve not to watch that show again. My gut reaction is to say that the ppl in that show are not very holy people. They may or may not have that gift. I do believe that the gift of sensing spirits does exist, and your challenge will be to use it for good. Do you have a spiritual director?
Old Dec 17, '07, 9:18 pm

Yes my priest is my spirtual director. I have never told him about me feeling that presence though. Should I? I mean I never really thought about it as being a gift but I can sense good and evil by feeling it, I guess what im trying to say is I can feel it with my body if there is evil around someone or something, its a feeling of uneasyness and it brings kind of a sense of depression with it. Ive only felt it really strong the time I was at this guys house by myself. I know if its a gift or just something I picked up on.
Old Dec 17, '07, 10:05 pm

Religion: Catholic, Loyal to the Pope

Dear DrewC,

From what I read and I didn't read it all, but what I read you are sort of questioning about mediums.

Firstly, yes there are Saints that have appeared to people. You never hear about them through mediums though. You should read about the witch of Endor and Saul in the Old Testament.
You can read a lot about the Catholic Viewpoint from this priest in Madrid, Father Fortea. There is a section: Most frequently asked questions that discusses all of these things. What is nice Fr. Fortea is an expert.

http://www.fortea.us

God Bless and Merry Christmas,
BluesPicker
Old Dec 18, '07, 9:33 am

I think any Christian that is in touch with their spirituality can sense evil when it is around, Just as we can sense good in people.
Old Dec 19, '07, 7:36 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Sir Knight,

Being a medium is not the same as having the Gift of Prophesy, which is always used to build the Kingdom of God.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics