Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 16, '07, 7:17 pm

Religion: Catholic (Convert)
Default Why did Jesus go to hell before he went to heaven?

That makes absolutely no sense. How could the only divine man be bad enough to descend into hell, yet escape and go to heaven later?
Old Dec 16, '07, 7:23 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic and loving it
Default Re: Why did Jesus go to hell before he went to heaven?

Please read the Catechism for the explanation:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p122a5p1.htm

Quote:
636 By the expression "He descended into hell", the Apostles' Creed confesses that Jesus did really die and through his death for us conquered death and the devil "who has the power of death" (Heb 2:14).
And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were also called in one body. And be thankful. - Colossians 3:15
Old Dec 16, '07, 7:23 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

He didn't descend to Hell because he was bad- rather, he did it to rescue the good people who were there. Regardless of our personal merits, we cannot be saved without Christ. Make sense?
Old Dec 16, '07, 7:30 pm

Religion: Catholic (Convert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kirchoff View Post
He didn't descend to Hell because he was bad- rather, he did it to rescue the good people who were there. Regardless of our personal merits, we cannot be saved without Christ. Make sense?
So he escaped with the un-saved people who did good things on earth?
Old Dec 16, '07, 7:33 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun40968 View Post
So he escaped with the un-saved people who did good things on earth?
He didn't escape, He was never imprisoned!

Death on the Cross was the act that brought about salvation. Before Jesus died on the cross, everyone was (rightfully, because we all sin, and thus are all worthy of Hell)) condemned to hell. But those in Hell who were righteous were brought up to Heaven by Jesus.
Old Dec 17, '07, 5:13 am

Religion: cradle Catholic

When we say Jesus descended into Hell, it is not the Hell that we have heard, but rather the place were the righteous souls were awaiting the Messiah/Son of God to set them free. You have to remember that no one was able to enter into heaven and live in God's presence until Jesus "opened the gates" of Heaven through His death and resurrection.

Read below from the Catechism:

Quote:
633 Scripture calls the abode of the dead, to which the dead Christ went down, "hell" - Sheol in Hebrew or Hades in Greek - because those who are there are deprived of the vision of God.479 Such is the case for all the dead, whether evil or righteous, while they await the Redeemer: which does not mean that their lot is identical, as Jesus shows through the parable of the poor man Lazarus who was received into "Abraham's bosom":480 "It is precisely these holy souls, who awaited their Savior in Abraham's bosom, whom Christ the Lord delivered when he descended into hell."481 Jesus did not descend into hell to deliver the damned, nor to destroy the hell of damnation, but to free the just who had gone before him.482

634 "The gospel was preached even to the dead."483 The descent into hell brings the Gospel message of salvation to complete fulfilment. This is the last phase of Jesus' messianic mission, a phase which is condensed in time but vast in its real significance: the spread of Christ's redemptive work to all men of all times and all places, for all who are saved have been made sharers in the redemption.

635 Christ went down into the depths of death so that "the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live."484 Jesus, "the Author of life", by dying destroyed "him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and [delivered] all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage."485 Henceforth the risen Christ holds "the keys of Death and Hades", so that "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth."486
http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p122a5p1.htm
Old Dec 17, '07, 6:43 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Exactly, as MH says, Jesus did not go to the Hell of the damned, rather to the 'Limbo of the Fathers' or 'Abraham's bosom' where the righteous souls awaited His death to open heaven to them.

When His resurrection finally completed His triumph over death, He led them (those who accepted Him at least) into Heaven.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Dec 17, '07, 1:56 pm

Quote:
What is happening? Today there is a great silence over the earth, a great silence, and stillness, a great silence because the King sleeps; the earth was in terror and was still, because God slept in the flesh and raised up those who were sleeping from the ages. God has died in the flesh, and the underworld has trembled.

Truly he goes to seek out our first parent like a lost sheep; he wishes to visit those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death. He goes to free the prisoner Adam and his fellow-prisoner Eve from their pains, he who is God, and Adam's son.

The Lord goes in to them holding his victorious weapon, his cross. When Adam, the first created man, sees him, he strikes his breast in terror and calls out to all: 'My Lord be with you all.' And Christ in reply says to Adam: ‘And with your spirit.’ And grasping his hand he raises him up, saying: ‘Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give you light

‘I am your God, who for your sake became your son, who for you and your descendants now speak and command with authority those in prison: Come forth, and those in darkness: Have light, and those who sleep: Rise.

‘I command you: Awake, sleeper, I have not made you to be held a prisoner in the underworld. Arise from the dead; I am the life of the dead. Arise, O man, work of my hands, arise, you who were fashioned in my image. Rise, let us go hence; for you in me and I in you, together we are one undivided person.

‘For you, I your God became your son; for you, I the Master took on your form; that of slave; for you, I who am above the heavens came on earth and under the earth; for you, man, I became as a man without help, free among the dead; for you, who left a garden, I was handed over to Jews from a garden and crucified in a garden.

‘Look at the spittle on my face, which I received because of you, in order to restore you to that first divine inbreathing at creation. See the blows on my cheeks, which I accepted in order to refashion your distorted form to my own image.

'See the scourging of my back, which I accepted in order to disperse the load of your sins which was laid upon your back. See my hands nailed to the tree for a good purpose, for you, who stretched out your hand to the tree for an evil one.

`I slept on the cross and a sword pierced my side, for you, who slept in paradise and brought forth Eve from your side. My side healed the pain of your side; my sleep will release you from your sleep in Hades; my sword has checked the sword which was turned against you.

‘But arise, let us go hence. The enemy brought you out of the land of paradise; I will reinstate you, no longer in paradise, but on the throne of heaven. I denied you the tree of life, which was a figure, but now I myself am united to you, I who am life. I posted the cherubim to guard you as they would slaves; now I make the cherubim worship you as they would God.

"The cherubim throne has been prepared, the bearers are ready and waiting, the bridal chamber is in order, the food is provided, the everlasting houses and rooms are in readiness; the treasures of good things have been opened; the kingdom of heaven has been prepared before the ages."

A reading from an ancient homily for Holy Saturday

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old Dec 19, '07, 5:50 am

Religion: catholic

He is another great way of looking at why Jesus descended into hell. remember he is "outside of time and space" so he was here on earth -3 years preaching the Gospel- he went outside of time and condensed 3 years into 3 days to those who had gone before him.This is one of the most incredible displays of love, mercy, and his divinity, I am greatful he is my savior!
Old Mar 4, '10, 8:35 pm

Wink Re: Why did Jesus go to hell before he went to heaven?

Our Lord Jesus had not fulfilled his mission by dying on the cross, Though it was the Climax, He still had one last task which was to retrieve the souls imprisioned hell who were without hope. He also encountered Death and Hades themselves and blessed them with the hand wave of the cross, ceasing their intimidating presence. By this they had recognized that He was not an ordinary soul which wandered bout in their realm. After they retreat from him, He let his presence be known to the head council in the lost desert Chapel, The perisian Magi who did readings on the long line of souls with the dice box, and when Jesus stood in the midst of them hidden, He was next to be read, when the dice was rolled; the Holy number 7 was revealed and Our Lord brought terror to the ones who thought they were in hiding from God. He did many other heroic acts that cannot be explained on this forum, I am writing a book about the Holy Spirits revelations. In general, He went to hell, so that we would'nt have to fear Death and Hades. He defeated Death and will toss the reaper in the lake as the last enemy stated in 1st Corinthians. Also his appearance in Hell, shows the enemy that his time grows shorter, and each generation the celestial war gets more intense because of the imaginations of the spirit in this age.
anyways i think i said too much... Jesus Is Lord! see my catholic music @
www.myspace.com/TheOfficialHolyGhostPage

Last edited by SpiritinMe; Mar 4, '10 at 8:41 pm. Reason: adding a link
Old Mar 5, '10, 4:17 am

Red face Re: Why did Jesus go to hell before he went to heaven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritinMe View Post
Our Lord Jesus had not fulfilled his mission by dying on the cross, Though it was the Climax, He still had one last task which was to retrieve the souls imprisioned hell who were without hope. He also encountered Death and Hades themselves and blessed them with the hand wave of the cross, ceasing their intimidating presence. By this they had recognized that He was not an ordinary soul which wandered bout in their realm. After they retreat from him, He let his presence be known to the head council in the lost desert Chapel, The perisian Magi who did readings on the long line of souls with the dice box, and when Jesus stood in the midst of them hidden, He was next to be read, when the dice was rolled; the Holy number 7 was revealed and Our Lord brought terror to the ones who thought they were in hiding from God. He did many other heroic acts that cannot be explained on this forum, I am writing a book about the Holy Spirits revelations. In general, He went to hell, so that we would'nt have to fear Death and Hades. He defeated Death and will toss the reaper in the lake as the last enemy stated in 1st Corinthians. Also his appearance in Hell, shows the enemy that his time grows shorter, and each generation the celestial war gets more intense because of the imaginations of the spirit in this age.
anyways i think i said too much... Jesus Is Lord! see my catholic music @
www.myspace.com/TheOfficialHolyGhostPage
May God forgive me, for I have preached a personal revelation thinking in vain to be a new gospel. My names Ralph, please pray for me that I may not be accursed for my ignorance.
Please pray that I may be delivered from satan, for my intensions were pure in hopes of edifying the body of Christ not to bring confusion to the gospel... thank you
Old Mar 5, '10, 5:24 am

Jesus visited both Hell and Purgatory after His death, because both places belong to God; they are both places of the Justice of God. He went to the gates of Hell in order that all the devils and souls there would know and acknowledge that He is Lord:

[Romans]
{14:11} For it is written: “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bend to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.”

[Philippians]
{2:8} He humbled himself, becoming obedient even unto death, even the death of the Cross.
{2:9} Because of this, God has also exalted him and has given him a name which is above every name,
{2:10} so that, at the name of Jesus, every knee would bend, of those in heaven, of those on earth, and of those in hell,
{2:11} and so that every tongue would confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father.
Old Mar 5, '10, 5:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun40968 View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. How could the only divine man be bad enough to descend into hell, yet escape and go to heaven later?
"First Things" published an interesting discussion on Hans Urs von Balthasar's alternate theology of "he descended into hell" in December 2006.
Balthasar, Hell, and Heresy: An Exchange Alyssa Lyra Pitstick, Edward T. Oakes, S.J.
http://www.firstthings.com/article/2...an-exchange-38
Old Mar 5, '10, 6:33 am
Banned

Religion: Christian
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristian B

Depends on what you mean by Hell. What do you understand by 'hell'? In the Bible when it speaks about 'hell' it refers to the grave. So he went in the grave in our stead. He died in our stead. So he went to hell [the grave] in order to pay for our sins.
Old Mar 5, '10, 9:58 pm

We discussed this subject recently on another thread.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=432126

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture