Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 27, '07, 2:26 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Making promises to God

I've put a thread like this before but it's just not stopping. It's like my mind just doesn't let me control it sometimes. It's horrible i'll make promises to God and not always keep them. Sometimes I really feel like I am going to hell. I try not to but I need help. I pray and stuff like that but I seem to fall into that sin while i'm singing at mass or praying. Should I consult a spiritual director?

thank you
Old Dec 27, '07, 3:12 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: Making promises to God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgirl4ever View Post
I've put a thread like this before but it's just not stopping. It's like my mind just doesn't let me control it sometimes. It's horrible i'll make promises to God and not always keep them. Sometimes I really feel like I am going to hell. I try not to but I need help. I pray and stuff like that but I seem to fall into that sin while i'm singing at mass or praying. Should I consult a spiritual director?

thank you
And THANK YOU for an excellent question.
I've done the same thing several times over the years - and wonder are we held down to the promises we make to God, if we don't swear on the Bible or take an oath in Church? Looking forward to a response from someone who can advise us.
Old Dec 28, '07, 5:50 am

Making a resolution to do penance or prayer and breaking it is not a sin. It is a human weakness. The Apostles in the garden tried very hard to stay awake. But, they were overcome by their human weakness.

But, if you are breaking a commandment, it is a sin and should be confessed. Don't be discouraged! Persevere!

Every person has root sins that they struggle against. I have confessed the same kind of sin over and over. Every confession I am resolved to never commit that sin, but then I fail. Back to the confessional. Back to struggling against my root sins.

Our human natures are inclined to sin. It's our first impulse. It's through persistent work and reliance on the sacraments that we can overcome sins.

As for voluntary penance (resolutions of penance or prayer), we just keep training our bodies and mind.

As we grow stronger, we are better able to keep our promises.
Old Jan 9, '08, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonie View Post
Making a resolution to do penance or prayer and breaking it is not a sin. It is a human weakness. The Apostles in the garden tried very hard to stay awake. But, they were overcome by their human weakness.

But, if you are breaking a commandment, it is a sin and should be confessed. Don't be discouraged! Persevere!

Every person has root sins that they struggle against. I have confessed the same kind of sin over and over. Every confession I am resolved to never commit that sin, but then I fail. Back to the confessional. Back to struggling against my root sins.

Our human natures are inclined to sin. It's our first impulse. It's through persistent work and reliance on the sacraments that we can overcome sins.

As for voluntary penance (resolutions of penance or prayer), we just keep training our bodies and mind.

As we grow stronger, we are better able to keep our promises.
thank you for your advice and knowledge.
Old Jan 9, '08, 2:50 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgirl4ever View Post

thank you
I'll share an experience of mine some years ago; won't go into much detail but the gist will. hopefully, be grasped.

In the confessional I poured out my sins..the good priest, after underscoring one sin in particular, stopped me and chastized me verbally and spiritually.

He summed his his words with, "You must promise God that you will NEVER do that again."

I responded, "I do, Father."
He then gave me absolution.

Wouldn't you know just a few short months later the same occasion was put in front of me...I was tested mightily. Through God's grace I turned away from that occasion and never looked back. It cost me friends in my refusal...that is the price we have to pay sometimes in loyalty to God.

I could never have turned away were it not for His graces.

A promise is a PROMISE especially when it is made to Him.
Old Jan 9, '08, 3:26 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Perhaps I didn't understand the question, and please do correct me if I am wrong.. but it sounds more like you're worried about making bargains with God. Is that correct? Like.. "Lord, if You do this.. I'll do that". I don't think an occasional, sincere promise (such as that we make, in the Act of Contrition), is in itself.. necessarily wrong. And we must pray for the grace, to keep those kind of promises.

But.. maybe this will help. The next time you feel an impulse to make a promise (bargain?) to God.. instead, try saying.. "Lord, Thy Holy and Perfect Will be done". In this way.. you're practicing a form of self denial, and at the same time.. acknowledging that God's Plan for your life, is the best. You're expressing your trust in Him. It might help to think of it, that way. It's a safety net, that always brings me peace. God bless.
Old Jan 9, '08, 4:10 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieVeronica View Post
Perhaps I didn't understand the question, and please do correct me if I am wrong.. but it sounds more like you're worried about making bargains with God. Is that correct? Like.. "Lord, if You do this.. I'll do that". I don't think an occasional, sincere promise (such as that we make, in the Act of Contrition), is in itself.. necessarily wrong. And we must pray for the grace, to keep those kind of promises.

I cannot understand how you equate my "promise" as a bargain with God. Maybe I was not clear sufficiently. My promise was to "never do again what I was sorry for in the confessional" it had nothing to do with a tit-for-tat "bargain" with God. It was entirely about never offending Him again in that particular way. The promise was made before a priest which underscored the magnitude of that promise. Nothing was in back of my mind for a "reward" it was solely for absolution. There is no "reward' greater than absolution.

But.. maybe this will help. The next time you feel an impulse to make a promise (bargain?) to God.. instead, try saying.. "Lord, Thy Holy and Perfect Will be done". In this way.. you're practicing a form of self denial, and at the same time.. acknowledging that God's Plan for your life, is the best. You're expressing your trust in Him. It might help to think of it, that way. It's a safety net, that always brings me peace. God bless.

The promise was made in the confessional because I hurt Him. It was NOT a quid pro quo offer. I hope that clears that up. Sometimes things get lost in translation. Sorry, my fault.
Old Jan 9, '08, 5:16 pm
Prayer Warrior

Thank you for correcting me. I felt, maybe.. I didn't have it quite right. I think the word "promise" stumped me. Because we do make certain "promises" to God, as in the Act of Contrition. So, I wasn't sure what the difficulty was (and therefore, should not have attempted a response).

I understand more clearly now. I hope the other repliers were able to answer your question. God bless.
Old Jan 9, '08, 5:26 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
BEAUTIFULLY PUT. That is similar to the advice given to me by my spiritual director.

So I'll share more of what my spiritual director told me: Do your best to love God. I made some promises to God too (to do the Liturgy of the Hours and keep up with it although I'm only a layperson), but it's not a sin to break them because, as someone else said earlier, we are weak humans.

Don't look back at your past failures. Saints are sinners who get back up! Every new moment is a new chance to love God. Take advantage of those and don't let the devil catch you in his traps of despair and guilt.
Old Jan 12, '08, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstown johnn View Post
I'll share an experience of mine some years ago; won't go into much detail but the gist will. hopefully, be grasped.

In the confessional I poured out my sins..the good priest, after underscoring one sin in particular, stopped me and chastized me verbally and spiritually.

He summed his his words with, "You must promise God that you will NEVER do that again."

I responded, "I do, Father."
He then gave me absolution.

Wouldn't you know just a few short months later the same occasion was put in front of me...I was tested mightily. Through God's grace I turned away from that occasion and never looked back. It cost me friends in my refusal...that is the price we have to pay sometimes in loyalty to God.

I could never have turned away were it not for His graces.

A promise is a PROMISE especially when it is made to Him.
thank you
Old Jan 12, '08, 7:32 pm

Quote:

thank you. I might use that little prayer. But I really did mean making promises to God, not necicarially bargains.
Old Jan 12, '08, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancilla Domini View Post
BEAUTIFULLY PUT. That is similar to the advice given to me by my spiritual director.

So I'll share more of what my spiritual director told me: Do your best to love God. I made some promises to God too (to do the Liturgy of the Hours and keep up with it although I'm only a layperson), but it's not a sin to break them because, as someone else said earlier, we are weak humans.

Don't look back at your past failures. Saints are sinners who get back up! Every new moment is a new chance to love God. Take advantage of those and don't let the devil catch you in his traps of despair and guilt.
thank you
Old Jan 13, '08, 6:56 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
And THANK YOU for an excellent question.
I've done the same thing several times over the years - and wonder are we held down to the promises we make to God, if we don't swear on the Bible or take an oath in Church? Looking forward to a response from someone who can advise us.
If you promise God something you should do it provided it is not something sinful. But it's only a sin to not do it if you make an oath or vow.
May the Blessed Trinity and Blessed Mother along with all the Hosts of Blessed Spirits and Saints and Sublime Martyrs bless you all and the whole church and world and complete the conversion of Russia quickly and give us world peace +++. We are at the end. Bless you +++ I am John

Old Jan 13, '08, 2:08 pm

Maybe you could change your approach a little bit. Whenever you want to make a promise to God, ask for His help to do the thing you want to promise instead. Like this:
"Dear Lord, I want to say the Rosary every day to honor You and Your Blessed Mother. Please help me to do this. With Your help, I will try my best."
Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Jan 13, '08, 5:38 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell Jr View Post
If you promise God something you should do it provided it is not something sinful. But it's only a sin to not do it if you make an oath or vow.
Thank you, John - but now pardon my pursuing this one step further. An oath, I believe, is swearing on the Bible. A vow is making a promise publicly before God and a formal audience or at the altar - such as (final) religious vows.

In other words, despite my promises (and I don't mean promising to say a prayer, etc.) but serious promises outside of the above-mentioned are (we assume without consulting of a spiritual advisor) not a sin? If I'm correct, color me relieved.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality