Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 27, '07, 7:09 pm

Religion: Baptist in RCIA
Default how to genuflect

I'm looking for a visual explaination of 'how to genuflect'. Does anyone know where on the internet I could find it.
Old Dec 27, '07, 9:06 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: catholic
Default Re: how to genuflect

check out this site...

http://www.fisheaters.com/posture.html
Old Dec 27, '07, 9:09 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Matthew 16:18
Send a message via AIM to PatienceAndLove Send a message via MSN to PatienceAndLove Send a message via Yahoo to PatienceAndLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by belindacy View Post
I'm looking for a visual explaination of 'how to genuflect'. Does anyone know where on the internet I could find it.
Go down on your left knee and cross yourself with the right hand.

Old Dec 27, '07, 9:48 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Convert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
I thought it was down with your right knee?
Old Dec 27, '07, 9:51 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Matthew 16:18
Send a message via AIM to PatienceAndLove Send a message via MSN to PatienceAndLove Send a message via Yahoo to PatienceAndLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittorio23 View Post
I thought it was down with your right knee?
It is, I am sleep deprived.

Old Feb 21, '10, 4:58 pm

Religion: Catholic

Does it matter?
I always do left knee, It feels weird doing it with my right knee...

Edit: I think I have a stronger right leg, so I can get up easier when my left knee touches teh ground...

(Under Construction)
Old Feb 21, '10, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamAPhone View Post
Does it matter?
I always do left knee, It feels weird doing it with my right knee...

Edit: I think I have a stronger right leg, so I can get up easier when my left knee touches teh ground...
Genuflecting on the left knee is for earthly monarchs. The right knee is for God. If it's a matter of a real disability, by all means genuflect on your left knee rather than not at all. If you just need to strengthen the other knee, then do it for the Lord.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Feb 21, '10, 5:20 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
It is, I am sleep deprived.
Oh, I was just going to say...I have been doing it wrong for a long time then!
Old Feb 21, '10, 5:41 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltobetsy View Post
Genuflecting on the left knee is for earthly monarchs. The right knee is for God. If it's a matter of a real disability, by all means genuflect on your left knee rather than not at all. If you just need to strengthen the other knee, then do it for the Lord.

Betsy
Quote:
If it's a matter of a real disability, by all means genuflect on your left knee rather than not at all.
I genuflect on my Left knee for three reasons...I walk with a cane due to arthritis, previously torn ligaments in my right knee and degenerative vertebrae discs in my back.

However; during Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament I will make the effort under pain to get down on both knees prostrating before My God hidden in Monstrance.

I have heard some priests make comment that going down on both knees was no longer necessary. In fact I have witnessed some priests taking parishioners aside after the Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and scrutinize their actions.
Not sure what gives in this instant. Whats wrong with prostrating oneself on both knees?
Old Feb 21, '10, 5:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurionguard View Post
I genuflect on my Left knee for three reasons...I walk with a cane due to arthritis, previously torn ligaments in my right knee and degenerative vertebrae discs in my back.

However; during Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament I will make the effort under pain to get down on both knees prostrating before My God hidden in Monstrance.

I have heard some priests make comment that going down on both knees was no longer necessary. In fact I have witnessed some priests taking parishioners aside after the Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and scrutinize their actions.
Not sure what gives in this instant. Whats wrong with prostrating oneself on both knees?
Nothing at all is wrong with it, but it is no longer required. Those who wish to genuflect on one knee are free to do so without breaking any rules.

I'm very impressed that you genuflect at all. In your situation I'd be doing a profound bow and not giving it a second thought. You have inspired me.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Feb 21, '10, 6:55 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Quote:

hummm...

actually one can 'go down on your left knee' before men. Kings and such...

before the Blessed Sacrament --it is adoration--of Christ---so one goes down on ones right knee.

"274. A genuflection, made by bending the right knee to the ground, signifies adoration...."

--General Instruction of the Roman Missal

one may make the sign of the cross...but it is not part of the genuflection per se.
Old Feb 22, '10, 10:00 am

Adding to what others have said, genuflecting on the left knee is also a very traditional (and rarely used) way of honoring a bishop or the pope. When one kisses the episcopal ring you can genuflect on your left knee. This is an important distinction becuase the right knee is reserved for God.

As a 19 year old I was never alive when a "double-genuflection" was required however I still genuflect on both knees when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed in a ciborium or monstrance. Otherwise, when entering or leaving a pew or entering the sanctuary outside of Mass I genuflect on my right knee, often times (but not always) crossing myself.

"[E]ven in the church, zeal can lead people to issue harsh judgments and impute the worst motives to one another. These attitudes and practices do irreparable damage to the communion of the church."
Old Feb 22, '10, 10:22 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwscott View Post
Adding to what others have said, genuflecting on the left knee is also a very traditional (and rarely used) way of honoring a bishop or the pope. When one kisses the episcopal ring you can genuflect on your left knee. This is an important distinction becuase the right knee is reserved for God.

As a 19 year old I was never alive when a "double-genuflection" was required however I still genuflect on both knees when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed in a ciborium or monstrance. Otherwise, when entering or leaving a pew or entering the sanctuary outside of Mass I genuflect on my right knee, often times (but not always) crossing myself.
your future bride...if that is your voc.
may like it too...
Old Feb 22, '10, 1:37 pm

The Roman Missal describes a genuflection simply: "274. A genuflection, made by bending the right knee to the ground ...".

Here is my more involved description and suggestions for practice. Step forward with the left leg. Bend the right knee to the ground, level with the left heel. Try to keep you back straight and head up. Hold the position for a few seconds. Then stand up by stepping back with the left leg, and straightening the right leg.

Having mastered the above, practice genuflecting with hands joined. This is described in the Ceremonial of Bishops: "107. Unless the bishop is holding the pastoral staff, he keeps his hands joined: [footnote 80: "Hands joined" means: "Holding the palms sideward and together before the breast, with the right thumb crossed over the left" (Caeremoniale Episcoporum, ed. 1886, I, XIX, 1).] when, vested, he walks in procession for the celebration of a liturgy, when he is kneeling at prayer; when he moves from altar to chair or from chair to altar; when the liturgical books prescribe joined hands." (Reference: Ceremonial of Bishops, Liturgical Press, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1818-9, page 43.)

The original Latin description includes that the fingers are to be extended, so they should be straight, when joined.

Sometimes you will not be able to step forward to genuflect. For example when saying the Creed on the feast of the Assumption and Christmas a genuflection is required at the words "and became man". But there may be another seat in front of you. So in this case, move the right leg backwards a step, then bend the right knee to the ground, next to the left heel. Stand up by bringing the right leg forward.
Old Oct 4, '13, 10:21 am

Religion: Starting RCIA in Fall of 2014

In our Adoration Chapel I have noticed most people get down on both knees upon entering and exiting. A LOT of people actually lay down before the Blessed Sacrament and kiss the floor. .What does that mean? Even old ladies and old men do this and I can almost feel their pain as they do it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments