Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 31, '07, 5:36 am
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Forgiveness from sin of abortion

I am a married man, but while on outing for job conference, I fell to sin by laying with one of our company staff after some drinks in the hotel we all lodged in.
She got pregnant and the test result showed she was one month pregnant.
In order to save my marriage and my job, i assisted her by giving her money to abort the foetus and even drove her to he hospital for the abortion. This happened about 3 days ago.
Today, i feel really sorry that I commited this sin. I had told a priest about it and had gone before the blessed sacrament to pray for forgiveness...how do I feel forgiven and regain my inner peace with God?
Old Dec 31, '07, 5:51 am

Default Re: Forgiveness from sin of abortion

You should talk to your priest about this.
Old Dec 31, '07, 5:52 am

It just occurred to me, if you mean "how do I feel forgiven and regain my peace"... well... maybe you're supposed to feel bad for a while?

If you've confessed the sin and received absolution, your sin is forgiven. You might not forgive yourself for a good while, though.
Old Dec 31, '07, 6:12 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayjay37 View Post
How do I feel forgiven and regain my inner peace with God?
Firstly you've got to remember that you can't expect a fait accompli. That is to say, for things to be better for you because you agreed to this abortion rather than being hit for child support.

However a child has a right to be forgiven and accepted by its parents, and your marriage is still indissoluble in God's eyes. You still have what you had, even though you cannot undo what you have done. Hold fast to that.
Old Dec 31, '07, 6:44 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayjay37 View Post
I Today, i feel really sorry that I commited this sin. I had told a priest about it and had gone before the blessed sacrament to pray for forgiveness...how do I feel forgiven and regain my inner peace with God?
did you confess to this priest, receive absolution and have the automatic excommunication which you incurred lifted? if not, no you still have more work to do. if you are like most abortion survivors you will "feel bad" for the rest of your life. It is a natural consequence of this most grave sin. while wallowing in your own "feelings" have you given any thought to what you put this woman through, not to mention the injury you have done to your wife and family?

work on restoring your marriage, and on the underlying issues which cause you to sin, through regular prayer, penance, fasting, recourse to the sacraments, and spiritual direction. you should not be getting this advice here, but from your priest.
Old Dec 31, '07, 8:01 am
Forum Elder

First, Talk to your priest! As Annie said, there are some additional issues you need to ensure are addressed to ensure your return to the Sacraments.

Regarding the emotional issues, I suggest you contact Project Rachel or Rachel's Vineyard or a local Crisis Pregnancy Center about attending after-abortion healing. You need post-abortion healing.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Dec 31, '07, 8:44 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Hey my friend. When you say you told a priest about it, do you mean you made a good confession and receive absolution and carry out the penance ? If this is not the case, then you nead to do a thorough examination of conscience and get to a priest very soon and experience the mercy of Christ thru confession. If you are not sure about the sacrament, ask the priest to guide you. You have other garbage in your life you must get rid of with the help of Jesus. Take this lesson and make it into a conversion of your heart to the will of GOD. Look up Christopher West and start studying the "Theology of the Body". You are being thought of and prayers are being offered for you as well.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality