Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 12, '08, 3:32 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: germs on the Communion cup

If one truly believes in The Real Presence, then it shouldn't be a concern at all. If it is a fear you simply can't overcome, then get there early and sit in the front pew.

And in the very remote chance you contract something, your suffering will pale compared to the suffering Jesus Christ our Lord endured for our salvation.

"Do This In Memory Of Me"

We are talking Holy Communion here, not passing a joint in a bar parking lot.
Old Jan 12, '08, 4:57 am

Religion: catholic

Although I receive from the chalice myself, I don't see that beleif in the Real Presence would necessarily take away any fear of contracting germs, nor that such a fear implies a lack of faith.
. One could accept the doctrine of the Real Presence with all one's heart, but still suspect the *accidents* could carry germs. The accidents of the altar-bread and wine aren't removed by the change that takes place during consecration, remember.
And I don't see that being unwilling to be ill is unreasonable. In fact, since most of us have obligations that involve other people, as well as children or family that might catch something off us, it's our duty to safeguard our health.
Old Jan 12, '08, 9:26 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof4 View Post
If we all received under intinction, this would not be a problem, would it? (Oh no, I'm going traddy)!
I would be more concerned about the fingers touching the tongue and then passing to the next person.The EMCH is taught to wipe and turn the chalice between recipients.
I also believe that what is in the chalice really is the Blood of Christ and has healing power, both physical and spiritual. I never worry that some disease will pass from one communicant to another. While I accept that our Lord is received in His entirety when received only under a single form, it is comforting to receive both the Body and Blood separately and I want as much of Jesus Christ as I can get.
Old Jan 12, '08, 9:30 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebChris View Post
I would be more concerned about the fingers touching the tongue and then passing to the next person.The EMCH is taught to wipe and turn the chalice between recipients.
I also believe that what is in the chalice really is the Blood of Christ and has healing power, both physical and spiritual. I never worry that some disease will pass from one communicant to another. While I accept that our Lord is received in His entirety when received only under a single form, it is comforting to receive both the Body and Blood separately and I want as much of Jesus Christ as I can get.
Er, as much Jesus Christ as you can get?? This is not toast and tea, you get Jesus, he doesn't come by ounce or the pound. You don't get more by receiving under both species.
Old Jan 12, '08, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
Er, as much Jesus Christ as you can get?? This is not toast and tea, you get Jesus, he doesn't come by ounce or the pound. You don't get more by receiving under both species.
Words always fall short in trying to explain that which we physically experience when speaking of spiritual matters. The words of Communion are "Body of Christ" when receiving the host and "Blood of Christ" when receiving the chalice. Both are received in reverance and with graditude.
As for how much Jesus can I get? How much does Christ want to give himself to me and how much am I willing to accept?
Old Jan 12, '08, 1:43 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight View Post
Although I receive from the chalice myself, I don't see that beleif in the Real Presence would necessarily take away any fear of contracting germs, nor that such a fear implies a lack of faith.
. One could accept the doctrine of the Real Presence with all one's heart, but still suspect the *accidents* could carry germs. The accidents of the altar-bread and wine aren't removed by the change that takes place during consecration, remember.
And I don't see that being unwilling to be ill is unreasonable. In fact, since most of us have obligations that involve other people, as well as children or family that might catch something off us, it's our duty to safeguard our health.
Sure, it's a valid concern. But what does one do ?
Abstain ? Receive only on Easter Sunday ?

To all those expressing concern, how many times have you become ill due to receiving Holy Communion ?

What about eating out ? I can't count the times I've ordered food at a fast food restaurant and after paying, watched the person who has handled my money walk to the make line and prepare my order without washing his/her hands. Money is filthy.

We live in a dirty world. And life goes on.

The only thing one can do to reduce the risk is to sit in the front and receive ahead of the majority of the congregation. Or abstain.
Simple as that.
Old Jan 13, '08, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebChris View Post
As for how much Jesus can I get? How much does Christ want to give himself to me and how much am I willing to accept?
The whole Christ is present in the consecrated Host. How much you are willing to accept is up to you, but receiving both species doesn't change anything.
Old Jan 13, '08, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by otjm View Post
having served as an altar boy prior to Vatican 2, I find your statement slightly hilarious. One of the great stories we would have for our class mates that morning in school, or after the weekend if we served on Saturday or Sunday, was the result of those occasions in which Father would draw a string of spit from someone's mouth.

It isn't an issue of "need to touch the tongue"; it is an issue of how often the priest does touch the tongue. I have received on the tongue often enough, and I served often enough to know that it is a regular occurance.

Frankly, if it were an issue of passing germs, Communion on the tongue is at least as likely to pass germs as receiving from the Cup. Folks, finger to tongue contact just plain happens; pretending it doesn't, or saying "it is not necessary" (as if that had anything to do with the real world events) doesn't change the fact.

The short of it is that I have yet to see a documented case of anyone catching anything that can be traced to receiving on the tongue or from the Cup. Christ gave us the Eucharist in the fashion e did; do you not trust Him?

Christ I trust. It's the guy with the fever blister in the next pew I'm worried about...and the one over there who's sneezing.

Christ gave me the option of whole deal in the host, and that's my choice.
Old Jan 13, '08, 8:34 pm

I have never drank from the communion cup because I was afraid of catching a cold.

But after reading some of the statements I realized that I have.....a communicable virus of fever blisters that can be passed on to others from my siliva. I wouldn't want anybody else to get this virus.

The virus is in my system and I never know when it will flare up. I am so glad that I am not passing my virus germs to others in the church.

I am very careful not to let anybody drink from my glass or cup when I am eating with them. It is so easy to catch that virus.

I used to attend a church where tiny spoon size plastic cups were filled with the wine or grape juice.
It was a small congregation of 30 members.

I am germ phobic so it wouldn't make a difference if I carried my own tiny paper cup to be served from the communion cup because the other peoples' germs have contaminated it.
Old Jan 13, '08, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLucia View Post
I used to attend a church where tiny spoon size plastic cups were filled with the wine or grape juice.
It was a small congregation of 30 members.

I am germ phobic so it wouldn't make a difference if I carried my own tiny paper cup to be served from the communion cup because the other peoples' germs have contaminated it.
There is a huge difference here.

In the church you used to attend, it was indeed wine or grape juice. Perhaps that is why they felt comfortable using tiny plastic cups.

In the Catholic Church, we do not receive wine or grape juice, but rather the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. The sacred vessels used for Holy Communion must be made of precious, non-porous, non-breakable material that can be easily purified with water so that no fragments of the Precious Blood remain.

We would NEVER use tiny paper cups, because they could not be adequately purified, and we would never want to throw away a paper cup that contained drops of Jesus' Blood. Besides, a paper cup is not befitting the dignity of Christ's Blood.

By the way, now that you are Catholic, I assume that you are aware that Catholics cannot receive "communion" at non-Catholic churches.
Old Jan 14, '08, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstorm View Post
The whole Christ is present in the consecrated Host. How much you are willing to accept is up to you, but receiving both species doesn't change anything.
I understand, as posted earlier that the whole Christ is present in the consecrated Host. There are many churches that do not provide for the reception of both species. Nevertheless, when Communion is offered under both forms, I will not refuse either. It is a matter of relationship.
The OP expressed concern about the transmission of disease. The largest Catholic Church on Galveston Island provides communion by tincture for this reason. Attending Mass there, I had two choices. I could accept communion on the tongue, or I could receive the host alone in my hands without tincture. Many people on Galveston are there because they are being treated at the UTMB hospitals.
Although I personally have no worries about contracting anything when receiving Communion, it does seem that receiving in the hands and accepting from the chalice may actually be more hygienic. I need not worry about germs being passed from tongue to tongue by means of the eucharistic minister's fingers.
Most of the time while on Galveston, I attended Mass at the Cathedral Basilica, the first Cathedral built in Texas. There I could receive the host in the hand and drink from the chalice.
Old Mar 11, '08, 2:28 pm

Default why do we all have to drink out of the same wine cup?

Is there an alternative to everyone drinking out of the same cup for the wine? It just seems very, very "germy."
Old Mar 11, '08, 2:42 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Default Re: why do we all have to drink out of the same wine cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallelujahhh View Post
Is there an alternative to everyone drinking out of the same cup for the wine? It just seems very, very "germy."

First of all, it is not "wine", it is the Precious Blood. We should use the proper terminology. Now, the accident of the species, in this case, the form of wine, does, after all, contain alcohol. The issue of "germs" shouldn't have to be that much of a problem.

Now, the concelebrants all drink from the same chalice. To my knowledge, I've not heard or read one complaint from a priest or bishop regarding the issue of germs.

There are some Rites within the Church that use a spoon or a tube. Even the documents make note of that. Furthermore, as Francis Cardinal Arinze notes:

Quote:
However, I noticed in this country many people insist on receiving under two forms -- that means, the form of Body of Christ and Blood of Christ. If the bishop has approved it, that's all right. But it means it demands a lot of care because it is so easy to spill the Precious Blood.

It is so easy, and, as you mentioned earlier, in these days of disease, some people are worried if there are up to 50 people drinking from the same cup. Some people are hesitant.

Why would people not accept intinction? You [the priest] take the Body of Christ and just dip in the Precious Blood and give it to the person on the tongue. But the ministers must be priests or deacons, if they want that.
This is taken from a Q and A section that appears on www.adoremus.org . The Cardinal was pretty frank in his discussion.
Old Mar 11, '08, 2:45 pm
Veteran Member

Default Re: why do we all have to drink out of the same wine cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallelujahhh View Post
If you don't wish to receive the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ - don't. You still receive Him in entirety - Body, Blood, Soul, Divinity - in the Host.

~Liza
Old Mar 11, '08, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Oregon View Post
How long will it be until I get killer tuberculosis, hepatitis, HIV, the flu, or something else from kissing her?

I have expressed my concerns to her, but she persists.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

- Rob in Oregon
Killer tuberculosis? What is that? I thought most everyone is inoculated against TB? The symptoms are typically easy to spot and immediate, unless it is dormant.

The big thing for me is the gross factor. Oh my gosh, just thinking of having to swallow after everyone else makes me gag. I'm not one to be prissy (I've eaten with babies for example) but just the thought of it....*shudder*

Interesting note, I know this is anectdotal, but I remember my little bro did a science project on this. He compared various surfaces, including a chalice, and the rate of growth of common bacteria and viruses.

From his conclusions, buddy, you should be more afraid of touching your own door knob then of what your wife gets from the chalice. In fact, it took my bro several attempts to get anything to actually grow on the chalice.

Of course, you could attribute this to spiritual reasons...but most likely it has to do with the type of material used.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments