Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 10, '08, 12:46 am

Religion: Catholic
Default The most charitable organization in the world

I keep reading over and over that "Catholic church is out the most charitable organization in the world."

I believe it however I'm not comfortable saying such a statment without some hard numbers to back me up. Does anyone know of such a resource?

And if one is saying that it is the "most" that means that we are #1, then who would be numbers, 2 and 3? In other words we are making comparisons, and exactly who are we comparing oursleves to?

I'm hoping to get some help on this.

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, '08, 9:06 am

Default Re: The most charitable organization in the world

Great question. I also asked it several years ago and never got a reply.
Old Jan 10, '08, 10:31 am

Well let's hope we can get some answers this time!!
Old Jan 10, '08, 11:01 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea22 View Post
I keep reading over and over that "Catholic church is out the most charitable organization in the world."
Just curious, but where do you hear this? Can you post some links?
Old Jan 10, '08, 11:03 am

I have read this from different posters on this site. Nothing worth linking to.
Old Mar 12, '08, 11:27 am

I found some answers

There was an interview published on Zenit.org on March 10/2008

The Man Who Leads the World's Biggest Charity
Interview With Cor Unum President, Cardinal Cordes

After reading this article, I now know why we consider ourselves to be the world's biggest Charity. When you define Charity as "to show the love of God for every man and woman" It becomes apparent why. With Jesus being the head of the church and each one of us being part of the body of Christ, we have a leader who has given us everything and has commanded us to do likewise. It is no wonder why we can confidently make such claim.

The one question that does remain, however, is how do the Catholic Charities impart the faith dimension of charity while respecting religious freedom? How does one console one who doesn't believe in God by talking to them about God?
Old Nov 6, '09, 10:51 pm

So, it's been over a year since the last post to this thread. Are there any new articles or anything that would verify the claim that the Catholic Church is the largest charitable organization in the world?
Old Jul 8, '10, 11:35 am
Forum Elder

I don't think you will be able to find all charitable organizations operated under the auspices of the Catholic Church listed in one place. Every diocese has charities; there are also national and international Catholic Charities. Try a google search for Catholic Charitable Organizations.
Old Jul 9, '10, 2:12 am

Forbes has a list of U.S. charities and ranks Catholic Charities USA fifth in term of revenue.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/14/Revenue_1.html

Of course, not all Catholic charities in the U.S. are explicitly associated with them.

I'm not sure how one could measure ALL charitable activity under the auspices of the Church worldwide . . . it would be difficult to pin down.
Old Jul 9, '10, 10:05 am

Religion: Christian

It is not just one diocese. Every diocese has charities (as Jim said) and the Catholic church is the biggest Christian denominational group and among the richest so it makes sense to rank it among the most charitable organizations (talking about the entire Catholic church). However, there are other Christian denominational groups doing great or even better as compared to their size. The Seventh Day Adventist groups for example are doing great job in Africa.
Old Jul 9, '10, 10:13 am

I would have a problem with the last statement (regarding "one of the richest"), but I will not go deeper into that topic.
As for Catholic Charities USA, I volunteer for the Society of Saint Vincent De Paul and we're not considered to be in CC, but a "United Way Umbrella Organization." We don't even receive money from CC, but I would definitely say we are a Catholic organization.
Old Jul 9, '10, 5:40 pm

I saw somethign a few years back on the news that stated the Catholic Church was the biggest charitable organisation, it said it was based on not just how much we dole out, but also how many groups and programmes we run. Like all the crisis pregnancy centres, homes for unwed mothers, soup kitchens, orphanages.

I'll see if I can find it online somewhere.
Old Jul 11, '10, 5:15 am
Banned

Religion: Christian, acceptor of the Inspired Word of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria1 View Post
It is not just one diocese. Every diocese has charities (as Jim said) and the Catholic church is the biggest Christian denominational group and among the richest so it makes sense to rank it among the most charitable organizations (talking about the entire Catholic church). However, there are other Christian denominational groups doing great or even better as compared to their size. The Seventh Day Adventist groups for example are doing great job in Africa.
Such pity that people make it into competition. Matthew 6: 3 & 4, " But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth" (4) "That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly." It just a thought, I mean no offence! Regard, O.N.
Old Jul 11, '10, 11:29 am
Forum Elder

As an example, in my own diocese, Catholic Charities operates a number of programs, including a shelter for women and families who need to get out of abusive situations. There is also a public diner which provides one meal a day to anyone who needs it, no questions asked. It's operated as a restaurant, not a charity, though no one pays. It's able to continue doing this because we have nearly 6,000 volunteers. There is a medical clinic which provides health care to those who are uninsured or under-insured. These things occur every day in dioceses throughout the nation. No one remarks on them because it is taken for granted that this is part of what we do.
Old Jul 11, '10, 12:20 pm

It's a hard thing to show... much as some people of all viewpoints would like to regard THE Catholic Church as a single entity... in many ways each individual diocese, each religious order, and lots of associated groups, act quite independently. For example, do you consider The Society of St Vincent DePaul to be "The Catholic Church" for purposes of tallying up charitable giving? And let's not even get started on the Jesuits!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice