Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 11, '08, 8:37 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Requirements for Communion Wafers

This is a silly question, but what are the requirements for a parish when it comes to unconsecrated communion wafers that are to consecrated and distributed as the body of Christ?. As I understand it, it's to be unleavened bread. But are they restricted to using only unleavened bread made by certain organizations?

As I understand it, certain monasteries and convents make communion wafers. But, could a parish make their own bread if they wanted to as long as it was unleavened?
Old Jan 11, '08, 8:45 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: Requirements for Communion Wafers

Some parishes make their own bread. It has to be made from wheat and water with no additional ingredients. I used to belong to a small parish where parishioners made the bread to be used at Mass. It added meaning that this was made by our hands and not from some outside source, but probably isn't practical in a larger parish.
Old Jan 11, '08, 10:03 am

PLEASE, if at all possible, support the sisters (most in cloistered orders) who make communion breads. Sometimes this is their sole support outside of donations. If you're looking for "meaning" in the unleavened bread your parish uses, think of the holy women who are spending their lives in prayer for all of us who make these breads.

Yes, I admit I'm biased. My sister-in-law is a discalced Carmelite whose community makes communion bread.

www.amymbennettbooks.com

NOW AVAILABLE from amazon.com: "No Lifeguard on Duty", the second book in the Black Horse Campground series, from Oak Tree Press!
Old Jan 11, '08, 10:24 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via MSN to bknebel

Yup, the recipe is flour and water only. No honey, salt, baking soda etc.

I would say its better to buy the wafers, as 'home made' bread tends to be WAY more flakey and there is a definite risk of 'dropping some Jesus.'

I have helped make communion bread before and yes, it is meaningful when done as a part of a retreat or a small group, I do believe it would be impractical for a large parish to make the bread weekly, because the risk of crums, the labor involved, etc.

As was mentioned above, it is a good idea to support our holy women religious and men religious in monasteries. This is a good and holy ministry they offer us. Let's continue to help them!
Old Jan 11, '08, 1:31 pm

I do agree with BlueRose about purchasing from the Convents and Monasteries where the communion hosts are made.

My mom remembers spending time at the local convent when she was a child (some 65 years ago) and getting to help make the wafers and getting to eat the ones that didn't turn out! The Sisters in the convent loved her, this would be when she was 3 or 4 until she started school at 6.

At a museum in Albuquerque there are Communion Wafer irons - it's like a stove top waffle iron or pizzelle or krumkake iron only there are multiple small round spots and one large spot for the hosts for a Mass.

Brenda V.

Old Jan 11, '08, 3:07 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprimeau1976 View Post
This is a silly question, but what are the requirements for a parish when it comes to unconsecrated communion wafers that are to consecrated and distributed as the body of Christ?. As I understand it, it's to be unleavened bread. But are they restricted to using only unleavened bread made by certain organizations?

As I understand it, certain monasteries and convents make communion wafers. But, could a parish make their own bread if they wanted to as long as it was unleavened?
Anyone could make Communion bread. However I understand that it takes skill to make communion bread from only water and wheat flour and not have it crumble everywhere.
Old Jan 11, '08, 3:36 pm

Quote:
This is a silly question, but what are the requirements for a parish when it comes to unconsecrated communion wafers that are to consecrated and distributed as the body of Christ?. As I understand it, it's to be unleavened bread....
This is true for the Latin Church. Some, perhaps all of the Eastern Churches use a leavened bread.
Old Jan 12, '08, 2:27 pm

Send a message via AIM to John Hiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknebel View Post
Yup, the recipe is flour and water only. No honey, salt, baking soda etc.
Laudatur Iesus Christus.

Is there a document which establishes this restriction? I agree that honey and baking soda are not appropriate. However, the notion that salt is not allowed seems an overstatement of both the General Instruction for the Roman Missal No. 320 and of the Canon 924 of the Code of Canon Law of 1983.* Is there some authoritative interpretation of this requirement that excludes salt?

This is of interest because of two passages in scripture:

"You shall season all your cereal offerings with salt; you shall not let the salt of the covenant with your God be lacking from your cereal offering; with all your offerings you shall offer salt." (Leviticus (RSV) 2:13.)

"You are the salt of the earth." (Matthew (RSV) 5:13.)

Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.

John Hiner

*The English translations of these sections give a different impression of the requirements than the Latin edition. In the Latin, “wheat” is an adjective, “wheaten,” while in English the use of the noun gives a slightly different impression. However, the fact that water is not mentioned makes it clear that neither the instruction nor the canon intend to give a full recipe.
Old Jan 15, '08, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
PLEASE, if at all possible, support the sisters (most in cloistered orders) who make communion breads. Sometimes this is their sole support outside of donations. If you're looking for "meaning" in the unleavened bread your parish uses, think of the holy women who are spending their lives in prayer for all of us who make these breads.

Yes, I admit I'm biased. My sister-in-law is a discalced Carmelite whose community makes communion bread.
I'm not advocating taking the nuns jobs away. It was just a question I thought of.
Old Jan 15, '08, 10:23 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via MSN to bknebel

Quote:
I'm not advocating taking the nuns jobs away. It was just a question I thought of.
of course! I never thought that you were thinking of taking their jobs away! I think making bread is an option, but due to the 'crumbility' of the bread, it might not be worth it to make the bread weekly.
Old Jan 15, '08, 10:29 am

Canon 924 §2.
The bread must be only wheat and recently made so that there is no danger of spoiling.

The instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum further specifies:

[48.] The bread used in the celebration of the Most Holy Eucharistic Sacrifice must be unleavened, purely of wheat, and recently made so that there is no danger of decomposition. It follows therefore that bread made from another substance, even if it is grain, or if it is mixed with another substance different from wheat to such an extent that it would not commonly be considered wheat bread, does not constitute valid matter for confecting the Sacrifice and the Eucharistic Sacrament. It is a grave abuse to introduce other substances, such as fruit or sugar or honey, into the bread for confecting the Eucharist. Hosts should obviously be made by those who are not only distinguished by their integrity, but also skilled in making them and furnished with suitable tools.

http://jimmyakin.typepad.com/defenso...istic_bre.html
Old Jan 15, '08, 10:28 pm

Send a message via AIM to John Hiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatuck View Post
Canon 924 §2.
The bread must be only wheat and recently made so that there is no danger of spoiling.

The instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum further specifies:

[48.] The bread used in the celebration of the Most Holy Eucharistic Sacrifice must be unleavened, purely of wheat, and recently made so that there is no danger of decomposition. It follows therefore that bread made from another substance, even if it is grain, or if it is mixed with another substance different from wheat to such an extent that it would not commonly be considered wheat bread, does not constitute valid matter for confecting the Sacrifice and the Eucharistic Sacrament. It is a grave abuse to introduce other substances, such as fruit or sugar or honey, into the bread for confecting the Eucharist. Hosts should obviously be made by those who are not only distinguished by their integrity, but also skilled in making them and furnished with suitable tools.

Laudatur Iesus Christus.

Thank you for the reference.

The quotation from “Redemptionis Sacramentum” seems to confirm that salt would not invalidate the matter. Bread made with wheaten flour, water, and a touch of salt would undoubtedly “commonly be considered wheat bread.” The addition of the other substances named, “fruit, sugar, or honey,” would change the bread from “wheaten bread” to “sweet bread” or even “cake.”

Does anyone know of any authoritative document that specifically disapproves of including salt with the wheat and water used to make the hosts for the Mass?

John Hiner
Old Jan 18, '08, 4:05 am

John I would say that since salt is not listed it is not allowed. Jimmy Akin also agrees.At least he did in 2005.

Old Jan 18, '08, 6:31 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hiner View Post
Laudatur Iesus Christus.

Thank you for the reference.

The quotation from “Redemptionis Sacramentum” seems to confirm that salt would not invalidate the matter. Bread made with wheaten flour, water, and a touch of salt would undoubtedly “commonly be considered wheat bread.” The addition of the other substances named, “fruit, sugar, or honey,” would change the bread from “wheaten bread” to “sweet bread” or even “cake.”

Does anyone know of any authoritative document that specifically disapproves of including salt with the wheat and water used to make the hosts for the Mass?

John Hiner
Redemptionis Sacramentum states that the addition of other substances would be an abuse. This is different from saying that it would invalidate the matter.

But either way, RS is also clear that it would be an abuse, so we should not do it, period.
Old Jan 18, '08, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknebel View Post
I would say its better to buy the wafers, as 'home made' bread tends to be WAY more flakey and there is a definite risk of 'dropping some Jesus.
A crucial consideration that is so often overlooked by parishes who make their own bread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Redemptionis Sacramentum states that the addition of other substances would be an abuse. This is different from saying that it would invalidate the matter.

But either way, RS is also clear that it would be an abuse, so we should not do it, period.
Exactly.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments