Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 2, '04, 7:27 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Third Order Lay Franciscans

Are there any Third Order Lay Fanciscans out there ? Are you married? If yes, is your spouse part of the order?

I was just wanting more info about being a third order.. what vows do you take, etc.
Old Nov 3, '04, 5:27 pm

Default Re: Third Order Lay Franciscans

Maybe this web site can help
www.franciscans.com/vocations/index.html

I've been invited to a meeting. I'm planning on going. There's nothing wrong with checking out a local group and joining in as a guest. Then you'll learn first hand.

May God lead you,

Jen
Old Nov 4, '04, 8:01 am

I just started the process of becoming a lay fransican, I live in Independence, MO. I'm not married. We had our first session last month, our next is Nov. 21st.
Old Nov 4, '04, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvel
Are there any Third Order Lay Fanciscans out there ? Are you married? If yes, is your spouse part of the order?

I was just wanting more info about being a third order.. what vows do you take, etc.
Hi Jvel, I belong to the secular franciscan order, I'm married with three children and another on the way. The vows are bascially to live the Gospel through the example set by St.Francis. We pray together and do works of charity. I enjoy it very much.
Old Nov 4, '04, 8:20 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS

You may want to investigate which group you are planning on being a member of. There are two different "secular" Franciscan groups.

I got confused when looking into this a few years ago.

Third Order Franciscans are not the same thing as the Secular Franciscans Order.

If you are a lay person that is interested in living based on the rule of St. Francis and you want to continue being a lay person living a secular life, then you are interested in the Secular Franciscan Order.

If you are more interested in living a life like a religious brother but want to live a more secular life then in a monistary the the Third Order Franciscan is what you are looking for.

I started the formation process to become a member of SFO a few years ago, but stopped the process when my wife became pregnant since I didn't feel I could devote enough time to it. I probably will look into it again in a year or two.
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
Old Nov 4, '04, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder
You may want to investigate which group you are planning on being a member of. There are two different "secular" Franciscan groups.

I got confused when looking into this a few years ago.

Third Order Franciscans are not the same thing as the Secular Franciscans Order.

If you are a lay person that is interested in living based on the rule of St. Francis and you want to continue being a lay person living a secular life, then you are interested in the Secular Franciscan Order.

If you are more interested in living a life like a religious brother but want to live a more secular life then in a monistary the the Third Order Franciscan is what you are looking for.

I started the formation process to become a member of SFO a few years ago, but stopped the process when my wife became pregnant since I didn't feel I could devote enough time to it. I probably will look into it again in a year or two.
This is correct!
Old Nov 4, '04, 9:19 am

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite, Loyal to the Magisterium)
Send a message via MSN to T.A.Stobie, SFO Send a message via Yahoo to T.A.Stobie, SFO
Lightbulb Re: Third Order Lay Franciscans

For the Secular Franciscan Order, check out our international website for more details about the order.
Old Nov 6, '04, 7:21 pm

Thank you all for your input and advice.
Old Nov 7, '04, 11:43 am

Smile Re: Third Order Lay Franciscans

I have been a Secular for over 10 years. Non-Order priests can also be Secular Franciscans. I recommend it to all who are seeking a more spiritual life. Each Secular Order (There are others-Benedictine, Dominican, and some Orders now accept Lay Associates) has a certain charism in the church. If your interest is in the poor and you would like to live a more holy simple life, you may want to check out the SFO. Some Catholics seek a lot more than the minimum of receiving Communion once a year and going to Mass on Sunday. Beware: Profession is a life long commitment. After you are sure that you want to live this life and the Order is sure that they want you, a special Mass is held. In this Mass, you will promise before God and the Brothers and Sisters in the Order that you will try to live a more holy life in keeping with that Order's charism.

May God bless you,
Deacon Tony

Old Nov 7, '04, 9:14 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic

I am going to be starting my Inquiry Classes on Nov 21. Are there any Secular Franciscan online forums or emailing lists??

Annie
Old Nov 8, '04, 6:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Tony560
I have been a Secular for over 10 years. Non-Order priests can also be Secular Franciscans. I recommend it to all who are seeking a more spiritual life. Each Secular Order (There are others-Benedictine, Dominican, and some Orders now accept Lay Associates) has a certain charism in the church. If your interest is in the poor and you would like to live a more holy simple life, you may want to check out the SFO. Some Catholics seek a lot more than the minimum of receiving Communion once a year and going to Mass on Sunday. Beware: Profession is a life long commitment. After you are sure that you want to live this life and the Order is sure that they want you, a special Mass is held. In this Mass, you will promise before God and the Brothers and Sisters in the Order that you will try to live a more holy life in keeping with that Order's charism.

May God bless you,
Deacon Tony
I have been toying with the idea, but am not sure. Pray that I will know what to do.
Old Nov 8, '04, 7:10 am

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite, Loyal to the Magisterium)
Send a message via MSN to T.A.Stobie, SFO Send a message via Yahoo to T.A.Stobie, SFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD
I am going to be starting my Inquiry Classes on Nov 21. Are there any Secular Franciscan online forums or emailing lists??
There is a Yahoo email group URL: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sfocom...?yguid=8927937 that you can check out. Its members are all SFO's from around the world.
Old Nov 8, '04, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirach14
I have been toying with the idea, but am not sure. Pray that I will know what to do.
Hi Sirach14, You can go to a meeting and I'm sure you'll be welcomed. You're under no obligation to join. I'll say a prayer for you.
Old Nov 8, '04, 8:38 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Stobie, SFO
There is a Yahoo email group URL: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sfocom...?yguid=8927937 that you can check out. Its members are all SFO's from around the world.
Thanks alot, T.A.Stobie. I just joined. I really appreciate the help. Now I can learn and get to know other Secular Franciscans, while I am learning from my inquiry classes.

Annie
Old Nov 8, '04, 4:40 pm

Smile Re: Third Order Lay Franciscans

Sirach 14, Good luck to you. I have said a prayer for your discernment. Some formation programs go as long as 2 years, so you will have plenty of time to decide if this is for you.

God bless,
Deacon Tony SFO

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality