Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 14, '08, 8:48 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Isra-El, I struggle with God, a 'bad' Catholic
Send a message via AIM to scapularkid8 Send a message via Yahoo to scapularkid8 Send a message via Skype™ to scapularkid8
Default What's the purpose of the Sign of Peace?

Why do we do it? And why is it placed where it is in the Mass? And shouldn't we greet other Christians with the Sign of Peace?

"Jesus died, Christ arose. Thatís precisely what the transformation is -- Christís consciousness untied from a specific place and time."

I contemplate my Theosis as only beginning.
Old Jan 14, '08, 8:59 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Default Re: What's the purpose of the Sign of Peace?

In the Gospel, Jesus said that before we go and present our gift at the altar, we must first reconcile with our brethren. Our pewmates at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass are our brethren. We extend to them the Sign of Peace right before the Fraction Rite. Of course, this simple gesture can get out of hand, as our Holy Father indicates (and also explains) in Sacramentum Caritatis:

Quote:
The sign of peace

49. By its nature the Eucharist is the sacrament of peace. At Mass this dimension of the eucharistic mystery finds specific expression in the sign of peace. Certainly this sign has great value (cf. Jn 14:27). In our times, fraught with fear and conflict, this gesture has become particularly eloquent, as the Church has become increasingly conscious of her responsibility to pray insistently for the gift of peace and unity for herself and for the whole human family. Certainly there is an irrepressible desire for peace present in every heart. The Church gives voice to the hope for peace and reconciliation rising up from every man and woman of good will, directing it towards the one who "is our peace" (Eph 2:14) and who can bring peace to individuals and peoples when all human efforts fail. We can thus understand the emotion so often felt during the sign of peace at a liturgical celebration. Even so, during the Synod of Bishops there was discussion about the appropriateness of greater restraint in this gesture, which can be exaggerated and cause a certain distraction in the assembly just before the reception of Communion. It should be kept in mind that nothing is lost when the sign of peace is marked by a sobriety which preserves the proper spirit of the celebration, as, for example, when it is restricted to one's immediate neighbor s (150).
Again, even though this ritual is important, we shouldn't get carried away with it. As far as greeting other people with the Sign of Peace, I would be a little cautious. In this day and age, people might react rather strangely, especially if they don't understand quite what you are doing.

I dont' know if this answers your questions sufficiently, but, I'll try to dig up some more information for you.
Old Jan 15, '08, 10:43 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Sort of on topic-

I was was watching Father Mitch on EWTN with a Maronite bishop. The Kiss of Peace in that rite seemed to not involve touching, but what looked to be a sort of mime action (it was reverent, but I don't have another term for it). The action involved a sort of "passing" Peace, as if one were handing the other a box.

In any event, the Sign of Peace is very ancient, and different in different rites (all of them Catholic).

Although at this time of year, I'm beginning to think the ushers should walk down the aisles offering waterless hand cleaner after the Sign of Peace.
Old Jan 15, '08, 10:53 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutinChgoburbs View Post
Sort of on topic-

I was was watching Father Mitch on EWTN with a Maronite bishop. The Kiss of Peace in that rite seemed to not involve touching, but what looked to be a sort of mime action (it was reverent, but I don't have another term for it). The action involved a sort of "passing" Peace, as if one were handing the other a box.

In any event, the Sign of Peace is very ancient, and different in different rites (all of them Catholic).

Although at this time of year, I'm beginning to think the ushers should walk down the aisles offering waterless hand cleaner after the Sign of Peace.
I'm not sure what they do on EWTN but the Maronites here practice a gesture that is kind of common among others Eastern/Oriental churches (Coptic, etc.) also with some variation. It is like a hand clasp (both hands placed over the other's joined hands). A variation which preserves the "kiss" bit is after the hand clasp, you raise your hands (joined at the palms) to your lips and kiss it.
Old Jan 15, '08, 11:00 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Isra-El, I struggle with God, a 'bad' Catholic
Send a message via AIM to scapularkid8 Send a message via Yahoo to scapularkid8 Send a message via Skype™ to scapularkid8

I served at a Mass with Archbishop Chaput of Denver and he had some of his...entourage for lack of better terms, there and one of them was a priest from some Asian country and when he was giving the Sign of Peace he would take our head and press his forehead on ours and said Peace be with you. I thought that was interesting and I figured it was just how they did it in his culture.

"Jesus died, Christ arose. Thatís precisely what the transformation is -- Christís consciousness untied from a specific place and time."

I contemplate my Theosis as only beginning.
Old Jan 15, '08, 11:04 am

Quote:
[size=3]In any event, the Sign of Peace is very ancient, and different in different rites (all of them Catholic).
The form of the sign of peace is not prescribed for the Latin rite, but is cultural. scapularkid8's example is a case in point, as presumably the Asian priest was Latin rite.
Old Jan 15, '08, 12:36 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapularkid8 View Post
I served at a Mass with Archbishop Chaput of Denver and he had some of his...entourage for lack of better terms, there and one of them was a priest from some Asian country and when he was giving the Sign of Peace he would take our head and press his forehead on ours and said Peace be with you. I thought that was interesting and I figured it was just how they did it in his culture.
Actually, what the Holy Father does during the Sign of Peace at Papal Masses is to "embrace" by touching shoulders. My PV touches the shoulders of the altar servers. He said that since he doesn't know where the kids' hands have been (he was a kid himself), he would rather touch the shoulders.
Old Jan 15, '08, 1:22 pm

Quote:
[size=3]
Not so crazy, however! Back East, my mother has had the experience of some priests asking people not to shake hands because of all the colds and sickness. If we think about the sign of peace theologically, we can't really say that what happens obeys Scripture: how many people make peace with someone who has hurt them, wronged them, with whom they have a grudge, etc. It all seems pretty superficial.

St. Philomena, pray for us.

St. Alphonsus Church, New Orleans
Old Jan 15, '08, 2:02 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphilomena View Post
: If we think about the sign of peace theologically, we can't really say that what happens obeys Scripture: how many people make peace with someone who has hurt them, wronged them, with whom they have a grudge, etc. It all seems pretty superficial.
The "Sign of Peace" doesn't have the character of reconcilling with those who have wronged us, that is the purpose of the Penitential Rite.

The Reconcilliation that the Sign of Peace asks for is a prayer for reconcillation between mankind and Christ and for the gift of the Virtue of Charity

Redemptionis Sacramentum

Quote:
The practice of the Roman Rite is to be maintained according to which the peace is extended shortly before Holy Communion. For according to the tradition of the Roman Rite, this practice does not have the connotation either of reconciliation or of a remission of sins, but instead signifies peace, communion and charity before the reception of the Most Holy Eucharist.151 It is rather the Penitential Act to be carried out at the beginning of Mass (especially in its first form) which has the character of reconciliation among brothers and sisters..
We should not look at the "Sign of Peace" as some sort of fullfilllment of Matthew 5 on several fronts

First of all, Matthew 5 calls for the reconcilliation to happen before the Gifts are brought to the altar. If we are talking about material gifts, that means that the Sign of Peace would have to happen before the Offertory in order to fulfill this command. If we are talking about the gift of ourselves, as offered by us as members of the Common Priesthood, that takes place during the Eucharistic Prayer, when the Ministerial Priest offers Christ Himself.

In addition, since the Penitential Rite, especially in the Form A, involves the seeking of reconcilliation, Christians do not seek to reconcille that which has already been reconcilled. The only personal reconcilliation that the Sign of Peace could ask for is for transgression that have occured since the Penitential Rite (as all others have, or should have, been forgiven)
Old Jan 15, '08, 2:18 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
The "Sign of Peace" doesn't have the character of reconcilling with those who have wronged us, that is the purpose of the Penitential Rite.

The Reconcilliation that the Sign of Peace asks for is a prayer for reconcillation between mankind and Christ and for the gift of the Virtue of Charity

Redemptionis Sacramentum

We should not look at the "Sign of Peace" as some sort of fullfilllment of Matthew 5 on several fronts

First of all, Matthew 5 calls for the reconcilliation to happen before the Gifts are brought to the altar. If we are talking about material gifts, that means that the Sign of Peace would have to happen before the Offertory in order to fulfill this command. If we are talking about the gift of ourselves, as offered by us as members of the Common Priesthood, that takes place during the Eucharistic Prayer, when the Ministerial Priest offers Christ Himself.

In addition, since the Penitential Rite, especially in the Form A, involves the seeking of reconcilliation, Christians do not seek to reconcille that which has already been reconcilled. The only personal reconcilliation that the Sign of Peace could ask for is for transgression that have occured since the Penitential Rite (as all others have, or should have, been forgiven)
Brendan, I think you are mixing multiple distinct acts. This is how my former Pastor explained the linkage.

The Penitential Rite is our request for forgiveness and the celebrants blessing is absolution of venial sin. We need to ask for this forgiveness at the beginning so we have the grace to properly and fully enter into the Mass.

During the Offertory we are to bring ourselves fully to the altar (our financial gifts, our pain, our joy, our suffering, etc.) and place them before our Savior in love, hope, and trust. It is a means for us to magnify in our minds and heart that our God si greater than all of them and to minimize our gifts and problems in comparison to the love of our God.

The Sign of Peace is a communal expression of Christ that our our request of forgiveness has been accepted. It is done where it is because it is done in the physical presence of Jesus Christ. Because we are both spirit beings and physical beings, the transmittal of the SOP at this time is a full expression (spiritual and physical) of Peace. And in this act, we are fulfilling our call to be physical instruments of Christ to communicate the Good News to others.
Old Jan 15, '08, 2:19 pm

I believe it is a sign of unity among the Body of Christ. Archbishop Fulton Sheen, in his book This is the Mass says: "beyond all claims of time and space, beyond the all-compelling exactions of death itself, we make ourselves ready for union with God in just the degree that we are joined in fellowship one with another; and this is the whole sense and burden of the Communion of Saints." He goes on to say the meaning of the Mass is unrealized unless it be shared in fellowship by me with all the children of God, unless they somehow join me in the path that leads to the Light, for the soul when lifted up, shall draw the world unto itself."

"May Mary, who bearing Jesus in her womb was the first living "tabernacle" of the Eucharist, communicate to us her same faith in the holy mystery of the Body and Blood of her divine Son, so that it may truly be the centre of our life."
--Pope Benedict XVI
Old Jan 15, '08, 3:18 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

While I'm learning from the answers given in other posts, I'll tell you what I do - when I'm at a Mass where the Sign of Peace is requested (since during TLM it's not)....I don't kiss anybody (that's when it really gets carried away and the meaning gets a bit lost) - nor do I say "Peace be with you".

If someone offers me their hand, I watch their surprised faces when I say, "God Bless You."

They don't expect it - and I think it has an interesting effect. Somehow, after saying "Peace be with you" a few times, it seems to become mechanical - can't explain it. God Bless You? Says it all.
Old Jan 15, '08, 3:39 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
While I'm learning from the answers given in other posts, I'll tell you what I do - when I'm at a Mass where the Sign of Peace is requested (since during TLM it's not)....I don't kiss anybody (that's when it really gets carried away and the meaning gets a bit lost) - nor do I say "Peace be with you".

If someone offers me their hand, I watch their surprised faces when I say, "God Bless You."

They don't expect it - and I think it has an interesting effect. Somehow, after saying "Peace be with you" a few times, it seems to become mechanical - can't explain it. God Bless You? Says it all.
First, why do you want to surprise them?

Second, who do you think you are to change the Mass? The prayer "God Bless You" is a intercessory prayer for another. To say "Peace be with you" is to physically act on behalf of and for Christ to do as he did when he came back to the upper room: physically and spiritually assure those around you that Christ is with them, that they are forgiven, grant them the graces to properly recieve.
Old Jan 15, '08, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

"God Bless You" is more appropriate outside of the liturgy.

Dominus vobiscum - The Lord be with you - to which the answer is Et cum spiritu tuo - And with your spirit. ...

I understand in the future the response in english will be "And with your spirit."

"May Mary, who bearing Jesus in her womb was the first living "tabernacle" of the Eucharist, communicate to us her same faith in the holy mystery of the Body and Blood of her divine Son, so that it may truly be the centre of our life."
--Pope Benedict XVI
Old Jan 15, '08, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionthehunter View Post
Second, who do you think you are to change the Mass? The prayer "God Bless You" is a intercessory prayer for another. To say "Peace be with you" is to physically act on behalf of and for Christ to do as he did when he came back to the upper room: physically and spiritually assure those around you that Christ is with them, that they are forgiven, grant them the graces to properly recieve.
I think you're splitting hairs here. There is no prescribed statement for congregants to make as they are sharing the sign of peace. Rather, they are to do so "according to the local custom." The usual local custom here is shaking hands, and essentially repeating what the priest said, "peace be with you." However, sometimes people wave, or hug, or nod, or even give a light peck. The statement they make also varies somewhat, and I think "God bless you," while slightly unusual, falls within the general sentiment of this act.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments