Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar: Moral or not?
Godspell is moral 8 66.67%
Godspell is not moral 1 8.33%
Jesus Christ Superstar is moral 7 58.33%
Jesus Christ Superstar is not moral 4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 1, '04, 5:29 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Question Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell- Moral or not?

I recently worked on a production of Jesus Christ Superstar and saw a local production of Godspell. I thought that they were both appropriate, but I know that some people dislike them. For those not familiar with the shows, Jesus Christ Superstar focuses mainly on Jesus's Passion, while Godspell deals more with His parables and teachings. Anyway, any thoughts?
Old Sep 1, '04, 5:40 am
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita
Default Re: Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell- Moral or not?

I voted for Godspell is moral, and abstained on JC Superstar. In Eighth grade (1973) Sister Ann took taught us Godspell music in class by singing along with a record in preparation for our field trip to go see a production in Chicago. Since then I have rented the video from the library and showed my own children.

I abstained on JC Superstar because I never saw it or read the script.

I like the music to both, and often play the piano and sing Godspell songs with my children. Many Christians know the song "Day by Day" but don't know it was from Godspell. Funny thing you asked; yesterday I got out my old JC Superstart music and played it on piano while my wife played flute and one daughter played violin.

Alan
Old Sep 1, '04, 5:43 am

Religion: RC

If Mel Gibson has artistic license to produce his version of the Passion of Christ according to his vision (whatever your opinion on his research, scripting, production methods, casting, etc.) then any artist has similar license, is producing his work according to his own inner vision, however inspired or flawed it may be. Are you asking if the image of Jesus as portrayed by different theatrical works is authentic? Are you asking if it is okay for a Catholic to participate in a production which presents a flawed image?
Old Sep 1, '04, 6:15 am

Religion: Maronite Catholic
Send a message via AIM to metal1633 Send a message via Yahoo to metal1633

Never saw Godspell but I did see Superstar many years ago and loved it. It presents a very Human Jesus which many objected too. Yes He is God but the whole point of the Incarnation was His HUMANITY. When Lazarus died, Yes he knew that the Father would hear Him and Yes He knew he would be raised. But He wept anyway for His freind was dead and that hurts. HE hurt over His friends death and all the sorrow that accompanies such a tragic event.
Old Sep 1, '04, 8:28 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Brain Send a message via AIM to Brain

i absolutely love godspell, saw it twice. wish i could have gone more.

i really have no desire to see JC superstar.
Old Sep 1, '04, 8:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholicvegan
I recently worked on a production of Jesus Christ Superstar and saw a local production of Godspell. I thought that they were both appropriate, but I know that some people dislike them. For those not familiar with the shows, Jesus Christ Superstar focuses mainly on Jesus's Passion, while Godspell deals more with His parables and teachings. Anyway, any thoughts?
I am curious as to why these two plays are still around? They would seem to be dated to me? Some of the tunes are catchy. I have not seen them in years and really would not comment on their theology.
Old Sep 1, '04, 8:47 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic faithful to Rome

Only seen parts of Godspell...not really interesting for me...seen Jesus Christ Superstar and think it rocks! There's a new DVD of it and I'll be picking it up. Great music, decent depiction for its kind of production story.
Old Sep 1, '04, 8:47 am

I don't know if moral is the right word. Perhaps we should be asking if they're biblically or theologically accurate, in which case I would say that Godspell has a slight advantage over Jesus Christ Superstar. However, neither of them really are, nor were they intended to be - they were meant to be musical entertainment. From that standpoint, I personally think Superstar was much better. Most of the music is really first-rate. I've also seen it several times on stage and it lends itself to some creative things in production. I've seen both of the movies, and again I think Superstar is much better - both were obviously done on a shoestring, but this one was a much better production. Aside from a couple of songs, especially "Day by Day", I think Godspell is just silly, and the music is typical Broadway cliche.

Just my opinion, of course!
Old Sep 1, '04, 11:28 am

I find Godspell more joyous, and Superstar a bit mean-spirited.
I find Godspell theologically inoffensive (even thought-provoking), while Superstar strays into heresy, especially in the Garden where the "very human" Christ has doubts about his ministry. (I also question at least one of the casting calls in Suoerstar, but maybe people should not be held responsible for their prior careers).
I enjoyed playing bass in the pit band for Godspell more than playing bass in the rock band for Superstar...

But that's just me.

may our Mother protect us!

Saba
Old Sep 1, '04, 3:06 pm

One thing that I think many people who criticize Jesus Christ Superstar fail to realize is that the play is presented largely from the points of view of Mary Magdalen and Judas Iscariot (especially Judas). It is not meant to be theologically faithful to Gospels (even though it largely is), but instead is meant to contrast two differing views of Christ, those of one who loves him growing in understanding and acceptance of who Christ is, and the other of one who loves him but growing to reject Christ because of not understanding him.

-- Mark L. Chance.
Help throw the bums out. Don't vote for a single incumbent in 2010.
Old Sep 1, '04, 7:53 pm
Book Club Member

Well, to throw in my , never saw Superstar (never really had any desire to) so I can't comment on that. As for Godspell, I haven't seen that in many many years. It always seemed pretty innocuous to me...and a perhaps a little hokey.

Maybe I should start a real controversy and begin a thread about The Last Temptation of Christ...

Old Sep 1, '04, 11:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholicvegan
I believe that Godspell is a happy/sappy 1960s "popular Jesus" play. The music was good in a happy/sappy way. I didn't see it. I liked the popular (top 100) music of the time from it. If I recall, "Godspell" is the Olde English spelling of "Gospel."

I believe that Jesus Christ Superstar is an Anglican take on "the Gospel of Judas" with good -- though 1960s contemporary -- music. Judas wasn't perfect, but he did have a perspective. The play is presented from Andrew Lloyd Webber's Anglican interpretation (institution of communion/Lords Supper was really wimpy) of how Judas may have written an account of the life of Jesus.
Old Sep 2, '04, 3:43 pm

I have seen both. I don't think there is a question of "morality" involved with either. These were musical plays, and both had their good songs. They are entertainment, pure and simple. Us Catholics have this habit of trying to assign moral good or bad to everything, even things like this.
Old Jan 16, '08, 1:56 pm
Banned

Default "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "Godspell"

I was wondering if anybody here has seen one of these two musicals based on the life of Christ and what Catholics think of them. They aren't always entirely accurate to traditional teachings. "Jesus Christ Superstar" follows the story of the Passion but focuses entirely on the "human" aspect of Jesus, leaving it up to the viewer to decide whether Jesus is the Son of God. Judas is portrayed a bit more positively than usual. And it is implied that Mary Magdalene is in love with Jesus. The movie ends ambigulously (we see the cross in silhoutte against the fading sun. It is too dark to see whether there is a body left. In the distance we see a shepherd walk past, but again it is too dark to see his face.)

Godspell by comparison is much more "Christian" but a lot less "Biblical". It presents the teachings of Jesus but ignores the story of the Gospels for the most part. It is about a Jesus like fellow in modern day New York who dresses like a clown, who gathers a group of disciples after they have been baptized. Together they wonder through the streets of New York acting like young chilren, reciting the sermons and parables of Jesus using exageratted acting and humour along with musical numbers (traditional hymn lyrics with rock music added). At the end Jesus is betrayed by one of his followers and crucified. Unlike JCS it makes clear that Jesus is the Son of God, but neglects to show any miracles or explain his miraculous birth. The ending is also ambiguous. The disciples (did I mention there are women disciples? And only 9 altogether.) take down Jesus' body and carry it off through the streets. Then they start singing "Long Live God, Prepare Ye the way of the Lord! Day by day, oh dear Lord three things I pray - to see thee more clearly, love thee more dearly, follow thee more nearly!) It seems to imply the resurrection, but again, it is not directly shown for whatever reason.

Both of these movies can be found on youtube divided into many parts.
Old Jan 16, '08, 4:56 pm

Default Re: "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "Godspell"

I've seen both films and I've also seen Godspell performed on stage. I guess the only thing I can say about them is that they are a product of their times. Many things better forgotten came out of the early seventies.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media