Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 16, '08, 6:48 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Sacramental wine requirements

Does anyone know the requirements for sacramental wine? For example, I know that the wine can only come from grapes. What about additives (like sulfites), or the yeast used during fermentation? Any requirements for alcohol concentration? Does the wine have to come from a source certified for sacramental use?

Just curious....

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, '08, 6:58 pm
Veteran Member

Default Re: Sacramental wine requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailymass View Post
Does anyone know the requirements for sacramental wine? For example, I know that the wine can only come from grapes. What about additives (like sulfites), or the yeast used during fermentation? Any requirements for alcohol concentration? Does the wine have to come from a source certified for sacramental use?

Just curious....

Thanks.
No additaves allowed. There is a necessary alcohol content < or>% I don't recall exactly. Below that level it should not be used for general distribution. I don't believe that it has to be a certified source, but that is the pastors responsibility to insure that it meets the requirements.
Old Jan 16, '08, 7:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailymass View Post

Just curious....

Thanks.
You would be hard-pressed to find any commercial wine -- even certified sacramental wine that did not have some amount of added sulfates.
Old Jan 16, '08, 8:07 pm
Banned

Religion: Lifelong Cradle Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO View Post
No additaves allowed. There is a necessary alcohol content < or>% I don't recall exactly. Below that level it should not be used for general distribution. I don't believe that it has to be a certified source, but that is the pastors responsibility to insure that it meets the requirements.
Yet the theology of Transubstantiation does not call for any specific type of wine. Any wine, even with additives should still be changed.
Old Jan 16, '08, 8:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUlm1976_2000 View Post
Yet the theology of Transubstantiation does not call for any specific type of wine. Any wine, even with additives should still be changed.
Not true.
The Precious Blood could not be confected using Saki (rice wine), plum wine, dandelion wine or any other non-grape wine.
Old Jan 16, '08, 8:20 pm

Quote:
The theology of transsubstantiation may not in itself specify a particular type of wine, but the theology of all sacraments requires that all sacraments use valid matter, form and intent.

What constitutes valid matter for wine to be used for the Eucharist is specified in Canon Law and the GIRM. See here.
Old Jan 17, '08, 5:10 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't think the OP is speaking about the theology of Transubstantiation, but that of Liturgical Law.
Old Jan 17, '08, 5:12 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paten View Post
You would be hard-pressed to find any commercial wine -- even certified sacramental wine that did not have some amount of added sulfates.
Yes you can and you do need to be careful. Sometimes "Certified Sacramental Wine" is certified to meet Protestant requirements, not Catholic requirements.
Old Jan 17, '08, 11:51 am
Forum Master

One should note that the wine is changed in the consecration, the additives are not. When one adores the sacred species is not one adoring not only Christ but also the unconsecrated additives - which would be false idols?
Old Jan 17, '08, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
One should note that the wine is changed in the consecration, the additives are not. When one adores the sacred species is not one adoring not only Christ but also the unconsecrated additives - which would be false idols?
How do you get that? Are you also saying that when you go to adoration you are worshiping the monstrance too?
Old Jan 17, '08, 12:45 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO View Post
Yes you can and you do need to be careful. Sometimes "Certified Sacramental Wine" is certified to meet Protestant requirements, not Catholic requirements.
I have regularly seen pallets of boxed wine made by a well known winery for use in Catholic liturgies that are not only marked as such, but also clearly say "sulfates added."

There are no "Protestant requirements" that I am aware of, although many Protestant parishes seem to use kosher wine. I asked a Lutheran minister I know why these used that sickly sweet wine and he said "people like it."
Old Jan 17, '08, 12:58 pm
Veteran Member

FYI, all wine naturally has sulfites in it. There is no such thing as sulfite free wine.

http://www.theorganicwinecompany.com/sulfites.php

Jim
Old Jan 17, '08, 1:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
FYI, all wine naturally has sulfites in it. There is no such thing as sulfite free wine.

http://www.theorganicwinecompany.com/sulfites.php

Jim
VERY true, but this labeling says "sulfates added." I remember one wine guy told me that the making of wine itself will add sulfates to some degree, so I'm curious if that's what the label means?

I'm going to investigate this.
Old Jan 17, '08, 1:09 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paten View Post
VERY true, but this labeling says "sulfates added." I remember one wine guy told me that the making of wine itself will add sulfates to some degree, so I'm curious if that's what the label means?

I'm going to investigate this.
All wine makers, including sacramental wine makers, add sulfites to wine, to keep it from going bad.

The exception may be some monastery that makes wine for their own liturgical use. I know one monastery that use to do this and, when I received the precious blood there, I immediately hoped and prayed they would start buying wine instead of making it.

Jim
Old Jan 17, '08, 2:13 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
All wine makers, including sacramental wine makers, add sulfites to wine, to keep it from going bad.

The exception may be some monastery that makes wine for their own liturgical use. I know one monastery that use to do this and, when I received the precious blood there, I immediately hoped and prayed they would start buying wine instead of making it.

Jim
I just remember reading that there was to be NO preservatives added, no additional alcohol added, nothing was to be added. Only natural grape wine with a certain range of alcohol content.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments