Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 17, '08, 4:03 am

Default Non-Catholic Missionaries and Contraception

There are quite a few non-Catholic religions out there who support artificial contraception. (Perhaps they all do.)

I've often heard that those living in extreme poverty should learn to have fewer children. (You know - to help control the population in poor communities.)

I wonder if non-Catholic missionaries out there, working in the poor communites, are distributing and teaching artificial contraception.

I've wondered if Anglican Nuns, or Orthodox Nuns, carry condoms to give out to the poor people.

It would seem really bizaar for a conservative christian to give out condoms. I wonder how they would handle it.

Does anybody know if there are christian groups out there actively distributing artificial contraception to poor communities?

Last edited by Charlie Zeaiter; Jan 17, '08 at 4:21 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 17, '08, 4:06 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Non-Catholic Missionaries and Contraception

Ive often wondered about this as well, do they just give out things to help the prevention spread, or do they also teach them to abstain at all?
Mat 7 14 but it is a narrow gate and a hard road that leads to life, and only a few find it. 15 'Beware of false prophets who come to you disguised as sheep but underneath are ravenous wolves. 16 You will be able to tell them by their fruits.
Old Jan 17, '08, 5:47 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Zeaiter View Post
There are quite a few non-Catholic religions out there who support artificial contraception. (Perhaps they all do.)

I've often heard that those living in extreme poverty should learn to have fewer children. (You know - to help control the population in poor communities.)
This is a false gospel of liberalism. Liberal, secular humanists see people as the problem. Christians, OTOH, should see them as the solution and of infinite value. People are not the cause of poverty, and indeed there need not be any poverty in the world. Sin of governments and those who have power are the cause of poverty.

Quote:
I wonder if non-Catholic missionaries out there, working in the poor communites, are distributing and teaching artificial contraception.
Of course they do. They team up with the numerous population control groups infesting the third world, the pro-abortion groups, and the pro-eugenics groups.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Oct 22, '10, 6:59 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

The Catholic would be required to promise, in his/her wedding vows, to do everything in their power to raise the children Catholic.

The Catholic has to get a dispensation from their local bishop to marry a non-Catholic (these are usually granted, unless there is some reason to believe the non-Catholic spouse will be the object of conversion attempts)

Both spouses have to promise to forsake contraception ('be open to life') in the wedding vows.

If either has been married before they will have to see if they can obtain an Annullment from thier Diocesan Tribunal before they are free to marry.

Anabolic steroids
nfl jerseys wholesale
Old Oct 22, '10, 8:30 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic => LDS

Condoms are promoted to sex workers, not as a preferred method of family planning between a wife and husband.

Poor countries have other programs that promote more cost effective methods of family planning instead of condoms.
Old Oct 23, '10, 6:09 pm

Religion: Pentecostal Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd520 View Post
Condoms are promoted to sex workers, not as a preferred method of family planning between a wife and husband.

Poor countries have other programs that promote more cost effective methods of family planning instead of condoms.
Like the Law and Order Special Victims Unit reocurring character Sister Peg?
Old Oct 23, '10, 6:42 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Quote:
Does anybody know if there are christian groups out there actively distributing artificial contraception to poor communities?
If protestant missionaries don't believe contraception is a sin, why would they not distribute it?
Old Oct 23, '10, 8:12 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Judaism

Quote:

I've wondered if Anglican Nuns, or Orthodox Nuns, carry condoms to give out to the poor people.

It would seem really bizaar for a conservative christian to give out condoms. I wonder how they would handle it.

Well this post here actually says it all:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark a View Post
If protestant missionaries don't believe contraception is a sin, why would they not distribute it?
As far as I know contraception is not regarded as a sin in many Protestant denominations, though the positions tend to vary. I tried to locate a group that hands out condoms via the internet, but all I found was a priest who is getting in trouble for handing out condoms to prostitutes (CathNews India and m&c)...

As far as I know those condoms are handed out to reduce the incidents of infections with AIDS.
I however also know for a fact that Southern Baptists advocate what is called "True Love Waits" which is said to have played a role in the reduction of AIDS infections in Uganda. This faith-based abstinence program is widely proclaimed within the SBC.
So it wouldn't make any sense for Southern Baptist missionaries to hand out condoms if people stay abstinent until marriage and then enter a biblical marriage relationship.

A bird that you set free may be caught again, but a word that escapes your lips will not return.
Old Oct 24, '10, 6:55 am

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet1983 View Post
So it wouldn't make any sense for Southern Baptist missionaries to hand out condoms if people stay abstinent until marriage and then enter a biblical marriage relationship.
A couple of things:

Maybe I mistook the op to be about contraception in all of it's forms, not just condoms.

And perhaps since this thread is about Christian missionaries providing contraception, I may have also incorrectly assumed that they would not be providing it to unmarried people.

I could be wrong on both presumptions.

However, even assuming that non-Catholic missionaries are on the same page as Catholics regarding sex and marriage, I see no reason why missionaries whose churches openly and proudly provide contraceptive instruction to their flocks here in the U.S. would not provide instruction and/or contraceptives to those married couples being "evangelized" on their mission trips, large percentages of which are Catholics.

I hope this clears up my previous posts.

Best wishes.
Old Oct 24, '10, 2:06 pm
Banned

Religion: non-Catholic

Quote:
There are quite a few non-Catholic religions out there who support artificial contraception.
True, but with some qualifications. In a country that comes in below a certain threshold of the population that is HIV+, married people are (sometimes, depending on the church or individual) advised to consider some (though not necessarily all) forms of contraception under certain circumstances. There's a lot of qualifiers there.

In a sub-Saharan African nation where AIDS makes a significant contribution to infant mortality, non-Catholic missionaries will make STD transmission/prevention their primary educational goal with regard to mothers and their children. Abstinence is, of course, required of any unmarried Christian anywhere in the world. But you must first survive childhood in order to worry about that. At that point, contraception might have to be discussed for a variety of reasons. It could have to do with preventing one person from infecting the other, but it could also have to do with a desire to make orphaned children a priority.

Quote:
(Perhaps they all do.)
Not all of them. Not even close.

Quote:
Long as they're married, yeah, that would help them out some. Plenty of middle-class Americans do something similar- limit the number of kids so you can deliver on financial obligations for them. But for the non-Catholic missionary, helping people achieve a marginally better financial situation through contraception is not high on the list of priorities. "Helping people survive" is near the top. But "saving money by not having kids" is not.

Rather than population control, the main focus tends to be on education, and with a particular focus on women/girls. That affects a lot of things more directly than the population, but I guess that tends to be one of the lesser by-products of such an effort. It's not really a goal in and of itself, though- it's more of a peripheral indicator that tends to be there when other things are working well.

But if population control was one of the main goals (which it's not), the means to that end would not be contraception.

Quote:
World Vision is probably the best place to go in order to find out what's typically happening. They're an international Evangelical relief/development organization, and they're huge. This is what they say about contraception.

Does World Vision support the use of contraceptives?
World Vision programs support modern contraceptive methods as part of an integrated approach to effective family planning. World Visionís family planning guidelines encourage both men and women to take equal responsibility for their children's birth and development. With both maternal and child mortality rates at alarming levels in many developing countries, individuals and couples are provided with the knowledge and the means to determine the number and spacing of their children to ensure the survival and well-being of both mother and child. These objectives are consistent with the UN Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5, which are to reduce child mortality and improve maternal health respectively.

All contraceptive methods promoted by World Vision are reviewed with respect to ethical, medical and development standards. World Vision programs are also designed and implemented in partnership with communities, and in collaboration with national health policy, the local health system, local faith-based organizations and other non-government organizations undertaking similar programs.

Contraceptive needs and preferences may vary depending on the cultural context. That's why our programs providing integrated voluntary family planning services offer a range of natural and artificial methods. Given the high risk for sexually transmitted infections (including HIV), dual protection methods are encouraged. Examples of protection methods include abstinence, consistent and correct use of condoms, use of a contraception method, and mutual monogamy.

To summarize, World Vision does support the use of contraceptives with a variety of qualifiers. Unlike the Catholic Church, they don't view the use of contraceptives as inherently sinful. Therefore, if the choice is between the use of contraceptives and sacrificing the life and/or health of mothers and/or children, they're willing to provide the knowledge and means required for using contraception in order to make life survivable.

Quote:
Can't help you there, but I doubt it.

Quote:
How about....?

In a way that is consistent with the UN development goals 4 and 5.

In a way that is reviewed with respect to ethical, medical, and developmental standards. (Sorry, not with respect to the Catechism- but what did you expect).

In a way that is designed and implemented in partnership with communities, and in collaboration with national health policy, the local health system, local faith-based organizations and other non-government organizations undertaking similar programs. (That would exclude Catholic programs in this particular instance).

If you're curious, World Vision flatly opposes abortion. That's typical of this type of relief organization.

Quote:
Yes, there are. World Vision is probably the most notable example, and World Relief is another one.
Old Oct 24, '10, 2:26 pm

Religion: Episcopalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Of course they do. They team up with the numerous population control groups infesting the third world, the pro-abortion groups, and the pro-eugenics groups.
That's a bit harsh, ke. While there may be a few Christians who think abortion is a matter of personal conscience, do you think ANY Christian teams up with pro-eugenics groups?
Old Oct 29, '10, 10:18 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Judaism

As of right now I am rather tickled by this topic. I came into a debate on a German forum concerning this and somebody said that ABC was not that much of a big deal (and more of a personal conscience and preference issue) and claimed her bishop had said so.
All of a sudden I found myself in a position arguing and explaining Catholic teaching on ABC and NFP and the difference between them according to Catholic teaching.
I gleaned a couple of ideas on how to proceed from this thread and other threads on the topic. Thanks.

A bird that you set free may be caught again, but a word that escapes your lips will not return.
Old Nov 1, '10, 6:05 pm

Religion: Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
This is a false gospel of liberalism. Liberal, secular humanists see people as the problem. Christians, OTOH, should see them as the solution and of infinite value. People are not the cause of poverty, and indeed there need not be any poverty in the world. Sin of governments and those who have power are the cause of poverty.
I couldn't agree more!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions