Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 21, '08, 8:26 am
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75
Talking Scripture passages you would use for your wedding.

I am taking a major break from apologetic debates, but I do like to discuss other things.

Anyways, just as the title states, what Scripture passages would you use on your wedding day?

I have three favorite Scripture passages for the First Reading, Second, Reading, and Gospel Reading.

For the first Reading I would select:

Tobit 8:4-9

When the door was shut and the two were alone, Tobias got up from the bed and said, "Sister, get up and let us pray that the Lord may have mercy upon us." And Tobias began to pray:

'Blessed art thou, O God of our fathers, and blessed be thy holy and glorious name for ever. Let heavens and all thy creatures bless thee. Thou madest Adam and gavest him Eve his wife as a helper and support. From them the race of mankind has sprung. Thou didst says, "It is not good that the man should be alone; let us make us a helper for him like himself.'

And now, O Lord, I am not taking this sister of mine because of lust, but with sincerity. Grant that I may find mercy and may grow old together with her." And she said with him. "Amen." Then they both went to sleep for the night.

For the Second Reading:

1 Corinthians 13:4-7:

Love is patient and kind, love is not jealously or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, and believes all things, hope all things, endures all thing.
For the Gospel Reading it would be:

Mark 10:2-9:

And the Pharisees came up and in order to test him asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?" He answered them, "What did Moses command you?" They said, "Moses allowed a man to write a certificate of divorce, and to put her away." But Jesus said to them. "For your hardness of heart he wrote you this commandment. But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female.' For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two flesh but one. What therefore God has joined together, let no man put asunder."

If I am called to a married life, I would select these verses for my wedding day.

So for those who are single, what Scripture passages would you use?

If you are married, do you remember your the Scripture passages the priest used on your wedding?

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old Jan 21, '08, 8:32 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Scripture passages you would use for your wedding.

You get a choice, but only from selected liturgically approved passages. I think most of those you listed are among these passages.
Old Jan 21, '08, 8:35 am

I remember one of our readings was from Proverbs 31...
And our Gospel was The Wedding Feast at Cana...

I can't believe I can't remember the other reading! I'm a bad, bad, wife!
7 years & 3 pregnancies will do wonders for your memory! LOL!

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Jan 21, '08, 8:35 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic (OblOSB)

DH and I had the reading from Tobit you posted, along with:

Revelation 19: 1,5-9

After this I heard what sounded like the loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, saying: "Alleluia! Salvation, glory, and might belong to our God.

A voice coming from the throne said: "Praise our God, all you his servants, (and) you who revere him, small and great."

Then I heard something like the sound of a great multitude or the sound of rushing water or mighty peals of thunder, as they said: "Alleluia! The Lord has established his reign, (our) God, the almighty.

Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory. For the wedding day of the Lamb has come, his bride has made herself ready.

She was allowed to wear a bright, clean linen garment."

Then the angel said to me, "Write this: Blessed are those who have been called to the wedding feast of the Lamb."

and

John 17:20-26

"I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.

Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

Righteous Father, the world also does not know you, but I know you, and they know that you sent me. I made known to them your name and I will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them."
Ahhh, memories!
Old Jan 21, '08, 8:37 am
Forum Elder

DH and I used:

Proverbs 31: 10-13; 19-20; 30-31
Psalm 128 (sung by the cantor)
Ephesians 5: 2a, 21-32
John 15: 12-14; 16-17

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jan 21, '08, 8:39 am
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingHim View Post
You get a choice, but only from selected liturgically approved passages. I think most of those you listed are among these passages.
I believe they are. I have a copy of the Sunday Missal. I will have to look at them to verify if those passages are there.

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old Jan 21, '08, 8:43 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingHim View Post
The entire bible is available for reading selections.

There are some that are recommended as being particularly applicable to a wedding.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jan 21, '08, 11:41 am

If we had known then what we know now (after almost 20 years), this is one of the readings we would have chosen (and will choose if we ever have an anniversary Mass):

Sirach 6: 6, 8-12, 14-17
Let your acquaintances be many, but one in a thousand your confidant. For one sort of friend is a friend when it suits him, but he will not be with you in time of distress. Another is a friend who becomes an enemy, and tells of the quarrel to your shame. Another is a friend, a boon companion, who will not be with you when sorrow comes. When things go well, he is your other self; but if you are brought low, he turns against you and avoids meeting you.

A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter; he who finds one finds a treasure. A faithful friend is beyond price, no sum can balance his worth. A faithful friend is a life-saving remedy, such as he who fears God finds; For he who fears God behaves accordingly, and his friend will be like himself.

www.amymbennettbooks.com

NOW AVAILABLE from amazon.com: "No Lifeguard on Duty", the second book in the Black Horse Campground series, from Oak Tree Press!
Old Jan 21, '08, 10:41 pm

Ooooh, I really like that bluerose, perhaps I'll use it for my wedding in 2009!

I'm not sure what are readings will be, of course, the wedding is a year and half away, so we have time, and right now I'm more focused on RCIA and getting baptised!

I'm really more worried about picking music.
Old Jan 22, '08, 3:29 am
Veteran Member

Once a parish priest was asked why he covered such a beautiful painting for wedding ceremonies. He said it was because a caption in the painting read, "Lord forgive them for they know not what they do."
Old Jan 22, '08, 6:52 am

We were given a booklet of possible readings to pick from. We selected the Tobit passage you wrote, Psalm 34, Hebrews 13 :1-6, and Matthew 7:21,24-29 for our Gospel.
We liked them because they represent the way we hope our marriage/family will be- prayerful (Tobit), glorify God (the psalm), trustful in God and not in earthly things (Hebews and Matthew).

I liked having the booklet because otherwise I wouldn't have known what to pick- all I knew what I didn't want the "Love it patient..." not that I don't believe it but I'm just tired of hearing it at every wedding!
Old Jan 22, '08, 7:27 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Don't forget the Song of Songs! We used this reading at our wedding:

Song of Songs 2:8-10,14,16a; 8:6-7a

Hark! my lover – here he comes springing across the mountains, leaping across the hills. My lover is like a gazelle or a young stag. Here he stands behind our wall, gazing through the windows, peering through the lattices. My lover speaks; he says to me, “Arise, my beloved, my dove, my beautiful one, and come!”

“O my dove in the clefts of the rock, in the secret recesses of the cliff, let me see you, let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet, and you are lovely.”

My lover belongs to me and I to him. He says to me: “Set me as a seal on your heart, as a seal on your arm; for stern as death is love, relentless as the nether-world is devotion; its flames are a blazing fire. Deep waters cannot quench love, nor floods sweep it away.”
Old Jan 22, '08, 8:29 am
Book Club Member

Smile Re: Scripture passages you would use for your wedding.

Our first reading was from the first chapter of Ruth, including the verses that say "Wherever you go, I will go..."etc. My husband is in the military, so there was a definite chance that I would have to follow him around. He also converted a few months before the wedding, making my God his God.

The second reading was the one that tells wives to obey their husbands and husbands to love their wives and parents to not nag their children. This one is not very popular, but I think that's because people stop listening after the first exhortation.

Our Gospel reading was the wedding feast at Cana.

The priest mentioned that ours was the most fun wedding he had had the privelege of presiding at.

I can't remember the Psalms, but it has been almost sixteen years.
Old Jan 22, '08, 8:32 am
Prayer Warrior

we also used the wedding feast at Cana and we used Ecc. 3(?)-the "times" passage. twk
Old Jan 22, '08, 8:38 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic

As one who does marriage prep, I get very excited when the couple takes such interest in choosing selections for their wedding. More than not, the couples will say, any one will do. That may not outwardly say it, but at the rehearsal, they will quickly select one. To me that just proves that they are spending more time preparing the reception, rather than the service.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life