Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 21, '08, 1:32 pm

Religion: Catholic convert!!!!!!! (summer 2005)
Default Blue upper lip

Not the lip itself but above....

Lily used to get this quite a bit as an infant and the doc told us it's nothing to worry about. She still gets it occasionally (today as a matter of fact, which is why it's on my mind again)...... something about it just doesn't sit right with me. Am i worrying for nothing or could it be something? Your thoughts?

Note: I am not looking for medical advice, just other parents' experience so I know what questions to ask (if any) at her next check up

malia
Old Jan 21, '08, 1:43 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998
Default Re: Blue upper lip

Could it be a bruise? Not that she is not a careful delicate little princess, but, maybe she bumped it?
Old Jan 21, '08, 1:46 pm

Religion: protestant, but raising a catholic family.

could she be cold? Was she sleeping and woke up like that or was she active at the time?
Old Jan 21, '08, 1:54 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa2007 View Post
could she be cold? Was she sleeping and woke up like that or was she active at the time?
I was thinking the same thing. My DS was a little bluish in the lips this morning when he first got up and his hands/feet were icy, but after a little snuggle between his blanket and me, he was good as new. I thought it was freezing cold in the house too, so I figure he was just cold. You know you've lived in AZ too long when 70 is cold enough to turn your lips blue, huh?

Mommy to Christopher (July '06) and Patrick (Feb '08)
Old Jan 21, '08, 2:49 pm

Religion: Catholic convert!!!!!!! (summer 2005)

Definitely not a bruise..... doesn't seem to correlate with temperature either. Doc mentioned it's a common circulation problem in newborns and that she would grow out of it.... it hasn't happened in quite awhile but I am worried that it is still occurring. At 18 months she is a long way away from being a newborn. I had read some info that linked it to heart disease....... I'll have to do more research

malia
Old Jan 21, '08, 3:13 pm

Religion: Catholic

Bluish lips can be a sign of heart problems (just a possability, not trying to frighten you). How are her finger nails, do they ever look bluish? Either way I would get a second opinion if your doc brushes you off, for peace of mind if nothing else.
Old Jan 21, '08, 4:05 pm
Veteran Member

Does it sort of look like a vein showing through the skin?

That used to happen a lot to my son, the pediatrician said to not worry.

It happened to my niece and the pediatric nurse said the the baby needed to burp. Do you notice it after nursing more?

Babies skin tends to be more translucent

I think heart problems involve the actual lips being blue. But I'm not a Dr.
Old Jan 21, '08, 5:24 pm

That's quite a coincidence that you started this thread today! Just this weekend I was mentioning to my DH how our 10-month-old always has blue fingers and toes. I looked it up in my trusty book and it said what your doc said: that newborns' circulatory systems are just immature and it should resolve itself a few months after birth.

Maybe our kids' circulatory systems are just slow learners!

Let us know what you find out!
Old Jan 21, '09, 11:53 am
Observing Member

Religion: undecided
Exclamation Re: Blue upper lip

Hello! I am trying to figure out the exact same problem. I have a 14 month old who started daycare in September and they have notified me on several occasions that his upper lip as well as his fingertips ion the left hand occasionally turn blue for no reason and then goes awya on its own. Sometimes he is crying, other times he is eating...Never the same thing and he dopes not seem to be bothered by it at all. I have broguht it to the doctor's attention several times to no avail. He said either the blood vessesl are constricting in certain areas for some reason or perhaps he is cold (I know he is not cold because he gets hot quite easliy). He also said for them to take pictures the next time it happens which this past Friday they did. The pictures are not the greatest, thoguh, since they were done with a camera phone and I have not had the opportunity to show them to the doctor yet. This past week, it has happened numerous times at the daycare and before it was only once or twice total and I never noticed it at home but I was never looking for it, either. It bothers me but the doctor says his heart is fine, his breathing is fine..everything is fine. If you obtain anymore information, I would be very grateful for any input!
Old Jan 21, '09, 12:12 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

My little one turns blue across the bridge of his nose sometimes. It runs from the inside corner of one eye, across the bridge of his nose, to the inside corner of his other eye. The doctor told us it was a vein under the skin and he is very pale skinned so it is more visible. He said the same thing can happen around the temple and around the mouth and it was nothing to be alarmed about. One thing that I strongly believe is that we are the mommies and we know when something just isn't right with our children. If you are uneasy, I would take her and get a second opinion.
Old Jan 21, '09, 12:23 pm
Observing Member

Yes, thank you. I have also looked for veins thru the skin but the only ones that are really visible are around his eye and temple and they do not seem to be affected in any way. It's very odd and it makes me uncomfortable - I guess I'm just scared that this could be signaling an underlying problem and I am not comfortable just assuming it is nothing when no one truly knows what is causing it. I will mention it at my other son;s appointment in April unless it continues to increase. That is also my concern. WHen I addressed it at the Dr. he said he was not too concerned since it only hapenes once in a blue moona dn it is not a regular occurrence. Well, lately it seems to be occurring more freqwuently...I will probabyl end up claling them later this week or next week just to be on the safe side.
Old Jan 21, '09, 12:24 pm

Religion: Newly Catholic

Every time my DS cries both of his lips turn blue? Has this happened to anybody elses DC's?

Swam the Tiber April 11, 2009!
Old Jan 21, '09, 12:27 pm
Observing Member

When first mentioned to my doctor, he attributed that to being the blood vessels constricting in certain areas of the mouth but in my case it was odd because only the top lip is ever affected and it happens regardless if he is crying or not. If it happens just when your baby is crying then I think you probably have nothing to worry about which is a good thing! I would still make sure to mention it at the baby's next appointment to be on the safe side.
Old Jan 21, '09, 1:04 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to shannyk

Malia, that can be associated with anemia which if I remember correctly you said Lily has/had? That's not medical advice mind you, but it was the first thing that came to my mind. Of course there could be other causes, and if it's gone on for this long it's something to press them about considering the anemia especially. Have they come to a conclusion as to why she was/is anemic?

A lot of kids will turn blue when crying, just because they are not breathing normally and are taking big gulps of air and then kind of holding their breath when they're crying. That is very common.

With some kids, it's just a matter of seeing more blue in their skin because of their natural pigmentation. Me and 2 of my 3 kids all get blotchy blue and purple spots randomly when we are cold etc., but we are pale and cool toned to begin with.

I am not my own; I have given myself to Jesus. He must be my only love." Bl Kateri Tekawitha

Old Jan 21, '09, 3:34 pm

I remember my cousin having this problem as a child. She was severely asthmatic -- I always assumed that was why, but I suppose she could have had another problem. Something to look into.

MJ
Grace 2/7/08
angel baby 3/27/09
Sophia 2/1/10
Michael 8/2/11
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting