Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 22, '08, 4:07 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Behold thy mother?

When Mary is referred to as "our Mother" I have heard it explained using John 19:26-27 (from Dohay Reimes)

26 When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. 27 After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.

Could anyone explain how this indicates that Mary is Mother of us all? I have heard it said that Jesus was speaking to everyone not just John but that seems rather difficult to prove.

By the way, I am not trying to cause trouble. Look at my profile and you will see where I'm coming from. I am from a Fundementalist/CofE background and as is usually the case with converts, the position of Mary is sometimes difficult to fathom.
Old Jan 22, '08, 5:20 am

Default Re: Behold thy mother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDKidd View Post
When Mary is referred to as "our Mother" I have heard it explained using John 19:26-27 (from Dohay Reimes)

26 When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. 27 After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.

Could anyone explain how this indicates that Mary is Mother of us all? I have heard it said that Jesus was speaking to everyone not just John but that seems rather difficult to prove.

By the way, I am not trying to cause trouble. Look at my profile and you will see where I'm coming from. I am from a Fundementalist/CofE background and as is usually the case with converts, the position of Mary is sometimes difficult to fathom.
Father William Most explains it this way. Hope that helps. God bless.
Old Jan 22, '08, 5:44 am

Religion: Catholic at Heart

You’re not alone, ED! Many have grappled with this topic. Even at this point in my own journey, I must confess I do not love Mary with the abandon that I wish I could.

From a straight reading of the text in John 19, you wouldn't necessarily walk away equating every believer with the Blessed Disciple. This is a wonderful analogy and pious meditation, and the faithful need look no further. Common sots like me have to approach Mary's motherhood from some different directions.

First is the constant teaching and practice of the faithful toward Mary throughout the ages. Mary is seen as the "New Eve." Insofar as Eve was "Mother of All the Living" after the natural order, so Mary is, by extension, Mother of all those made alive in Her Son, Jesus Christ. If we are "joint heirs with Christ" as in Romans 8:17, it stands to reason that amongst the treasure that is our collective birthright is a common parentage; God our Father and the gift that is the Mother of the Redeemer, made our own Mother.

St. Paul tells young Timothy to "[Entreat] Old women, as mothers: young women, as sisters, in all chastity." (I Tim 5:2) Which august Lady in the faith might we be most especially directed to treat thusly? While I am exceedingly fond of many of our "elder sisters", one alone springs to mind as being made worthy to bear the universal title of Mother of the Church. She who by her fiat in the fullness of time gave form and substance to He who is both eternal and infinite.

There's much more, but that gets us started. Thank you so much for asking!

Tim
Old Jan 22, '08, 11:41 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:

I think the most striking part of this passage (and the one which makes it so beautiful) is the fact that the disciple whom He loved is not named. Tradition tells us that it was John (although of course, Jesus loved all His disciples), probably because he was the youngest of the disciples. I think this passage is calling to all Christians to take Mary as their mother - try substituting 'John' in that passage: "When Jesus saw His mother and John standing near, He said to His mother, 'Woman, behold, your son!' Then He said to John, 'Behold, your mother!' And from that hour John took her to his own home." For me, looking at it in this way completely changes the meaning and depth of Christ's words- they hold very little significance and meaning if we look at it this way, but taking it as Christ talking to all His followers it is an important instruction on our daily Christian living... Just a personal observation...
Old Jan 24, '08, 5:38 am

Thanks to all who responded.

Your answers have made things more clear.
Old Jan 24, '08, 9:24 am

Quote:
When Mary is referred to as "our Mother" I have heard it explained using John 19:26-27 (from Dohay Reimes) 26 When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. 27 After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.
As all Catholic teaching it isn’t “one” verse that explains it. Try reading the Apocalypse of John (revelations) chapters 11 & 12, especially the end of 12, It describes the role of Mary:
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.drbo.org
The Apocalypse Of Saint John Chapter 12 17 And the dragon was angry against the woman: and went to make war with the rest of her seed, who keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
We are the rest of her seed, who keep the commandments of God. We are brothers of Jesus:
Quote:
Galatians 4, 4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent his Son, made of a woman, made under the law: 5 That he might redeem them who were under the law: that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6 And because you are sons, God hath sent the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying: Abba, Father.
Quote:
Galatians 4, 30 But what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son; for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the free woman.
There are dozens of references which link Mary as our mother in Jesus.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics