Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 23, '08, 12:55 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Rescue/prevent broken families in the black community

Many in the black community need our help. The # of broken families and children born out of wedlock seem to be even higher among blacks. This is a huge crisis. We need more blacks from all different backgrounds on EWTN who set an example for family life. It doesn't matter if they are Catholic or not. We all share a common denominator when it comes to family. Without them, EWTN seems to remind me of a sports team that doesn't take advantage of better athletes to get the job done. Like a baseball team before Jackie Robinson. Addressing the broken family crisis is even more important than abortion only because strong families prevent abortion. I'm not singling out blacks, but we need to first assist where we are needed most. During 9/11 I'm sure there were many other emergencies put on hold in order to assist where the biggest crisis was in NYC. Firefighters & paramedics went to the twin towers where most lives were at stake. EWTN should not resist people on their programs because they are not Catholic. Professional sports got better when men were called from the Negro Leagues. So will EWTN and families. They don't have to be Catholic. Those who aren't against us are for us. Let's embrace our common denominator and the unity were called to share. Pope Benedict XVI spoke recently about hope. EWTN should not stop at offering hope, but take it further and share it for the sake of family life.
Old Jan 23, '08, 1:05 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Rescue/prevent broken families in the black community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou F View Post
. EWTN should not resist people on their programs because they are not Catholic. Professional sports got better when men were called from the Negro Leagues. So will EWTN and families. They don't have to be Catholic. Those who aren't against us are for us. Let's embrace our common denominator and the unity were called to share. Pope Benedict XVI spoke recently about hope. EWTN should not stop at offering hope, but take it further and share it for the sake of family life.
do you have some evidence that EWTN deliberately avoids programming about or including African Americans? Do you have some reason for believing this is a formal policy that must be changed?

are you calling for more programming addressing family life issues in general? or only programming addressing concerns of African Americans?

very hard from OP to uncover exactly what your issues are with EWTN programming

perhaps the EWTN website would be a better place to give your suggestions re programming
Old Jan 23, '08, 1:10 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via MSN to JustAnotherThou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou F View Post
Many in the black community need our help. The # of broken families and children born out of wedlock seem to be even higher among blacks. This is a huge crisis. We need more blacks from all different backgrounds on EWTN who set an example for family life. It doesn't matter if they are Catholic or not. We all share a common denominator when it comes to family. Without them, EWTN seems to remind me of a sports team that doesn't take advantage of better athletes to get the job done. Like a baseball team before Jackie Robinson. Addressing the broken family crisis is even more important than abortion only because strong families prevent abortion. I'm not singling out blacks, but we need to first assist where we are needed most. During 9/11 I'm sure there were many other emergencies put on hold in order to assist where the biggest crisis was in NYC. Firefighters & paramedics went to the twin towers where most lives were at stake. EWTN should not resist people on their programs because they are not Catholic. Professional sports got better when men were called from the Negro Leagues. So will EWTN and families. They don't have to be Catholic. Those who aren't against us are for us. Let's embrace our common denominator and the unity were called to share. Pope Benedict XVI spoke recently about hope. EWTN should not stop at offering hope, but take it further and share it for the sake of family life.
I agree! (well for the most part) I worked MANY years as a Parole Officer in the inner city in Kansas City. These communities are in grave need of assistance (not just money assistance, but guidance and prayer assistance).

I do believe that EWTN is on a VERY tight budget, not sure they can really call in the big league players, so to say. I do know that there is a handful (or less) of primarily black Catholic Churches in the United States. I don't know where they are or how to find them, although I know they are out there. I would think that EWTN could ask them for assistance in developing this message, would be a great place to start anyway.

I will put a letter with this suggestion in my donation to EWTN this month, hope you will do the same.
Old Jan 23, '08, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
do you have some evidence that EWTN deliberately avoids programming about or including African Americans? Do you have some reason for believing this is a formal policy that must be changed?

are you calling for more programming addressing family life issues in general? or only programming addressing concerns of African Americans?

perhaps the EWTN website would be a better place to give your suggestions re programming

I guess I read his message in a different light. Or maybe he could have phrased it better. I don't think he is actually accusing EWTN of avoiding it. I looked at it more as his suggestion that they look at addressing it.

I do believe that while he could just take his concerns to EWTN, I don't see anything wrong with him bringing them here. A lot of us donate to EWTN and maybe if we put a little sticky note in with our check they will see this is more than one persons concern.

I also wouldn't do a campaign like "Catholics out to save Blacks". I do think that there could be something that EWTN could show their support. Such as inviting more black priest, inner city priest, prison priest, etc to come on to talk about these issues.
Old Jan 23, '08, 2:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post

I have no issues at all with EWTN programming. EWTN in my opinion is the best network on television. Everything they do is great. I am in no way suggesting they are trying to deliberately avoid certain programming. I'm suggesting that they may have an opportunity they are overlooking - to assist where their help is very much needed. Simply including more blacks as guests on their already existing programs to encourage better family life would be great. If a show devoted entirely for this would work even better to encourage better black families, so be it.
Old Jan 23, '08, 2:40 pm

Question: Do many black people watch EWTN, in terms of % of black people?

If not, then it'd be like trying to help white people by putting more whites on the holiday Kwanzaa special.
Old Jan 23, '08, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrank View Post
Question: Do many black people watch EWTN, in terms of % of black people?

If not, then it'd be like trying to help white people by putting more whites on the holiday Kwanzaa special.

If they are flipping through channels and see a black priest talking, would they stop and listen?

I remember when I found EWTN, I was flipping through channels and saw this nun (Mother Angelica, of course) talking, I stopped and listened. I can not begin to tell you how much of a push that first show I watched has effected me even to this day.

Also, I REALLY don't mean this to sound harsh, but why wouldn't we want blacks to know about the Catholic faith??? I think your relation to Kwanzaa is out of line!! Sorry
Old Jan 23, '08, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherThou View Post
If they are flipping through channels and see a black priest talking, would they stop and listen?

I remember when I found EWTN, I was flipping through channels and saw this nun (Mother Angelica, of course) talking, I stopped and listened. I can not begin to tell you how much of a push that first show I watched has effected me even to this day.

Also, I REALLY don't mean this to sound harsh, but why wouldn't we want blacks to know about the Catholic faith??? I think your relation to Kwanzaa is out of line!! Sorry
Yeah I guess you are right, Kwanzaa is supposed to be for black people only, Catholicism is supposed to be for everyone.

I just think there might be better ways to non-denominationally help the black community, which the OP wanted to do. Just google some organizations in your area.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life