Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 23, '08, 5:40 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Default Saints Dropped From Calendar - How To Explain

It is a source of great frustration and annoyance to me to hear people inaccurately say (often in reference to Saint Christopher) "After Vatican II they got rid of a whole bunch of saints that were just myths!" or "They decanonized Saints Christopher & Philomena!"

A lot of people "knowingly" repeat this disinformation, having heard it or been taught it in a vaiety of places. (The pastor at my Catholic grade school explained Saint Chrisopher was "just a legend" to us as school children. I suspect he will be VERY suprised one day.)

Suprisingly, an article on wikipedia on Saint Valentine seemed to get the matter right
Quote:
In the 1969 revision of the Roman Catholic Calendar of Saints, the feastday of Saint Valentine on 14 February was removed from the General Roman Calendar and relegated to particular (local or even national) calendars for the following reason: "Though the memorial of Saint Valentine is ancient, it is left to particular calendars, since, apart from his name, nothing is known of Saint Valentine except that he was buried on the Via Flaminia on 14 February." (Calendarium Romanum ex Decreto Sacrosancti Ścumenici Concilii Vaticani II Instauratum Auctoritate Pauli PP. VI Promulgatum (Typis Polyglottis Vaticanis, MCMLXIX), p. 117 )
I generally like to point out that the revisions made certain feasts optional, but no such "decanonization" took place.

How do you respond when you hear this?
Old Jan 23, '08, 7:30 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Saints Dropped From Calendar - How To Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimpleSinner View Post
a source of great frustration and annoyance to me to hear people inaccurately say (often in reference to Saint Christopher) "After Vatican II they got rid of a whole bunch of saints that were just myths!" or "They decanonized Saints Christopher & Philomena!"

A lot of people "knowingly" repeat this disinformation, having heard it or been taught it in a vaiety of places. (The pastor at my Catholic grade school explained Saint Chrisopher was "just a legend" to us as school children. I suspect he will be VERY suprised one day.)

Suprisingly, an article on wikipedia on Saint Valentine seemed to get the matter right

I generally like to point out that the revisions made certain feasts optional, but no such "decanonization" took place.

How do you respond when you hear this?
I generally explain that there are many local, and regional Saints known in their areas but unknown in the rest of the world. With thousanfs of Saints and only 365 days minus Sundays and other Holy Days it leaves a bit of a quandry, do the math! Somebody is going to get bumped from the universal calendar, but still honored locally or regionally.
Old Jan 24, '08, 6:24 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO View Post
I generally explain that there are many local, and regional Saints known in their areas but unknown in the rest of the world. With thousanfs of Saints and only 365 days minus Sundays and other Holy Days it leaves a bit of a quandry, do the math! Somebody is going to get bumped from the universal calendar, but still honored locally or regionally.
Correct me if I am wrong, but individual orders (Franciscans, Dominicans, Benedictines, etc.) generally have the perogative to commemorate in their monasteries and parishes saints & beati from their own orders, don't they?

Where I sometimes attend morning Mass, one of the Dominicans does seem to make a habit of making even a brief mention of the Dominican saints of the day at the end of his sermon (brief bio sketch usually). I always enjoy that.
Old Jan 25, '08, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but individual orders (Franciscans, Dominicans, Benedictines, etc.) generally have the perogative to commemorate in their monasteries and parishes saints & beati from their own orders, don't they?
Yes, that's correct. As you've observed with the Dominicans, some lesser-known Saints and Blesseds will be commemorated who were members of the Order. With the Discalced Carmelites, it's the likes of Saints Raphael Kalinowski, Mary Magdalen de' Pazzi, Albert of Trapani, Teresa Margaret Redi, and Albert of Jerusalem who will remembered at the altar; also a special commemoration on July 23rd of Our Lady, Mother of Divine Grace.

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old Jan 26, '08, 9:38 am

Quote:

Where I sometimes attend morning Mass, one of the Dominicans does seem to make a habit of making even a brief mention of the Dominican saints of the day at the end of his sermon (brief bio sketch usually). I always enjoy that.
I think Bl. Henry Suso was commemorated recently at the Dominican priory I attend. It's nice to see all the saints and everything, but sometimes I just want a nice, simple ordinary day in the breviary.

I'd say the best way to explain would be to do the Thomas Aquinas explanation. Take what is true from what they say and affirm it completely. In the case of St. Valentine or St. Christopher, tell them that they are and remain saints, but that the mythological/legendary details about their lives are de-emphasized.

Does that make sense?

-Rob
Old Sep 17, '08, 6:00 pm

Arrow Re: Saints Dropped From Calendar - How To Explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNY View Post
I think Bl. Henry Suso was commemorated recently at the Dominican priory I attend. It's nice to see all the saints and everything, but sometimes I just want a nice, simple ordinary day in the breviary.

I'd say the best way to explain would be to do the Thomas Aquinas explanation. Take what is true from what they say and affirm it completely. In the case of St. Valentine or St. Christopher, tell them that they are and remain saints, but that the mythological/legendary details about their lives are de-emphasized.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that does make sense, Thank youName:  Christ:King.jpg
Views: 2842
Size:  3.3 KB

-Rob
Old Sep 17, '08, 10:21 pm

Religion: Orthodox
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawb

I tell people that no, the saint was not de-canonized, but that the calender was changed to more truly celebrate the universality of the Catholic Church, specifically by removing saints specific to regions or orders, and adding in lesser known Saints.
Old Sep 19, '08, 12:02 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

**"They decanonized Saints Christopher & Philomena!"

St. Christopher is still on the Byzantine Calendar--9 May I believe.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality